HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

leaking lymphatic fluid? leaking lymphatic fluid?

Unread 12-13-2008, 10:31 PM
leaking lymphatic fluid?

Hi. I had a radical hysterectomy on 11/20 due to cervical cancer. I am experiencing a complication that is rather odd. I am leaking fluid that is not urine out of my vagina - copiously at times. On the worst days I'll soak through two rolls of papertowels and a load of laundry. When it first began I thought my catheter was leaking. By the way, my bladder isn't working yet 3 weeks later. I've had the catheter out twice and both times could not void completely. But back to the leak: The doctor was at first perplexed thinking it was my bladder, then ureters, then an infection draining, then, maybe my catheter leaking after all, then, lymphatic fluid draining out due to not being properly cauterized. He has had two opportunities to send the fluid to the lab and find out what it is because I've collected two cups for him. The first cup the nurse sent off to be analyzed for a bladder infection - it had no bacteria. The second he sent off only to rule out urine - it is not urine (he also dyed my urine three different colors over the course of a wasted week which also ruled out urine. He seems reluctant to deal with the situation, telling me that these things can correct themselves (though last week it was a different story requiring a scan and a radiologist cauterizing the area where they took my lymph nodes). Meanwhile, I leak and have a yeast infection from the antibiotic he prescribed me when he thought it was an infection. This doctor, by the way, is considered awesome not just by himself, but by others as well. I'm at my wit's end. Has anyone else leaked a body fluid out of their vagina post-surgery, what was it, how was it fixed. Bella Rose PS: I was in the emergency room a week and a half after surgery because my kidneys swelled after the catheter was removed the first time and I was unable to empty my bladder completely. It all backed up. When they recathed me I had over a liter of urine. Anyway, I was given CT scan that night while they were searching for the cause of my pain. One of the things the report says is that there are two surgical clips in the right side of my abdomen. My doctor tells me that it is normal to leave surgical clips in people...been doing it for twenty years...is this true?
Unread 12-14-2008, 03:18 AM
leaking lymphatic fluid?

Hi Bella Rose

I have not had to deal with anything like this but wanted to offer you some support. I am so sorry you are having to deal with this problem on top of normal recovery on top of a cancer diagnosis.

I don't care how awesome this Dr is considered to be, he is not addressing your problem and it is a horrible thing to deal with. I think you have been very patient so far but I would be looking for a 2nd opinion now. Someone, somewhere must be able to get to the bottom of this issue and get ot resolved for you.

Please keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on.

Hugs

Katy
Unread 12-14-2008, 03:35 AM
leaking lymphatic fluid?

I'm so sorry you are having to go through all of this. I agree that it might be best to find a doctor that will work to try and fix your problem. I'm not sure how he thinks it will resolve on its own when he doesn't even know what it is. However, on the clips I can help. When I got my path reports back they had found something in my ovary that was listed as "unidentifiable". My doctor told me that it was most likely a clip as they are often left in during a surgery. Who knows whats left in there. I hope that you get to feeling better soon.
Unread 12-14-2008, 06:17 AM
leaking lymphatic fluid?

I can only tell you that a friend of mine had some discomfort and swelling and after much examination and ct scans , they found that her ureter had been stitched closed during surgery... She has had surgeries to correct the problem, but needed to find another doctor to do it... I would highly recommend you get a second opinion.
Also, I am curious as to why they leave anything in ? What do the clips do?
I would be afraid that the body would try to reject it.
Unread 12-14-2008, 07:11 AM
leaking lymphatic fluid?

{{{hugs}}}

I'm sorry you have to go thru this after surgery. I agree that getting a second opinion is a good idea.
As to the clips--I had my gall bladder out awhile back, and when I had a CT scan this year, it showed clips in there. I had no idea they were there! I think it is a common thing.

Please let us know how you are doing!
Unread 12-14-2008, 11:50 AM
leaking lymphatic fluid?

Thank you for your support. I contacted my medical group's "patient advocate" the other day. They referrred me to the gyn/surgeon who assisted my onc/gyn/surgeon. Naturally, they contacted one another about my wanting a second opinion. My doctor said that his collegue is not an oncologist like him and wouldn't know anything about lymphatic fluid... but, it would be good to see him, too... I guess I need to change medical groups entirely. This is Southern California, there has to be other gyn/oncs, right? I feel backed into a corner because I want a quick resolution so I can get on with my life - however long or short it may be - and I'm at the mercy of surgeon's whims and schedules and insurance red tape. Monday my doctor will remove my catheter again for another stab at potty training. My bladder is a little side issue I'm having. I never expected recovery would be so difficult. My 68-year-old mother has had a few abdominal surgeries recently - total hysterectomy and removal twice of leiosarcoma tumors and she bounces right back up a couple of weeks later. She had surgery a couple of weeks before me for tumor removal and she is back on her social circuit and eating out in restaurants everyday. I'm 44! My bladder is an issue, I'm leaking fluid, I have a yeast infection from antibiotics, my appetite is poor (and I have a good one normally), I tire easily (I thought I'd be hiking by the end of the month), and I cry at the least provocation. I feel like such a big baby. Bella Rose
Unread 12-14-2008, 01:12 PM
leaking lymphatic fluid?

We don't have any babies on Hystersister Bella Rose,

Just amazing women who have been through major surgery and are having to deal with the aftermath :-)

I would be looking for a different practice if I were you. These guys may just be trying to cover each others backs.

As for the tears, this could be hormonal. I cried at anything and everything post op. And I had to appetite for weeks so tried to eat little and often. You also need to keep your fluid levels up.

Hope the potty training goes well tomorrow!

Hugs

Katy

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.