HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Fibroids after 50 and post-menopause? Fibroids after 50 and post-menopause?

Unread 04-26-2010, 04:16 PM
Re: Fibroids after 50 and post-menopause?

Guess I would suggest a serious 2nd opinion rather than strictly wait. I admit my opinion is affected by the fact that my friend's very rare sarcoma was found by seeking a 2nd opinion on her post menopausal new "fibroids". So very rare as it is, if it were me, I would feel more comfortable checking out someone else's opinion of it before just waiting, and you may get more peace of mind, or at least answers/options, if you got the opinion. I'm in your post menopausal age bracket as well and I had an easy recovery so if you do in future opt for a hyst, there are those like me around to give some input, too.
Unread 07-12-2010, 12:51 PM

I am 60 years old - no periods in 11 years. Five weeks ago I started (fairly suddenly) with pain and pressure. I've had a CAT scan and an ultrasound. The latest is I have two fibroids - one 4 cm - and possibly the pain is from them dying. They have me on pain meds. Sitting and lying down are very painful - standing is less painful (but still not comfortable). I'm worried about getting hooked on pain medication - and need to be at work. I've been sneaking in a few hours a week to teach classes since standing is less painful than sitting. I cannot find much online about fibroid pain that starts 10+ years after menopause?
Unread 07-25-2010, 08:17 PM

Rose.addie, I was relieved to read your post. I am 53 and post menopausal for about 2 years, maybe 3. I used to have horrid periods, wearing 3 overnight pads and a tampon. I also had horrid cramps and back pain, with occasional migraines,

I was never so happy as when I realized that I was going through menopause and wouldn't have to worry every time I stood up, that I was going to be a Mt. Vesuvius.

I had a pap/exam about 10 days ago now, finding out I have large numerous fibroids. I have been telling my MD I can't urinate easily, have constant pressure on my bladder and horrendous back pain and spasms.

I am happy to hear that these symptoms occur due to fibroids and that they can possibly improve with a hysterectomy!

Thank you for sharing your story.
Unread 07-25-2010, 08:26 PM

Well I don't actually know if a hysterectomy will solve the pain problem or not since I have not had it yet... But I've been willing to try anything after being in bad pain for seven weeks! The problem is the doctors cannot find an actual cause for the pain - and I've had every test they can think of.

Now my dilemma is the pain is slightly improved. So I am debating the actual surgery.

Everything I read says you cannot have the things I have 11 years after menopause. I did have menstrual cramps with my periods - but they stopped completely 11 years ago. But I'm always interested to hear about other women having similar problems after menopause?!!
Unread 07-28-2010, 09:56 AM

I don't feel alone now! Just turned 54 -- post-menopausal bleeding and horrible pain and bloating. I have had ultrasounds and 2 CT scans that should numerous fibroids. I see the surgeon next week to have a "full workup".

I have been going through this for about 10 years . I too was told that if I waited for menopause my problems would get better -- now they are worse!

The body is still a real mystery.
Unread 08-03-2010, 12:21 PM

What actually concerns me, more than the bladder problems or pain, is the increased CA risk. My ovaries and fallopian tubes could not even be visualized. My MD suggests strongly that I have a hysterectomy and has arranged an appt with an ob/gyn surgeon, so we'll see if they feel the same way.

Best of luck in finding an answer to your pain problem.
Unread 09-07-2010, 09:53 PM

I'm fairly new, and just found the area for the ladies over 50. I am 53, have had fibroids for years and am expecting a hysterectomy in the next few months (when the only gyn. surgeon in the county is finished with grand jury duty!). I, too, waited to see if the fibroids would shrink with age, but now they're large enough that the good doc will probably do a bikini cut. I don't know where I stand with menopause, but it's been about six weeks since the last episode of bleeding. The bleeding has changed from what my periods used to be, though...don't know if it's from problems with the fibroids or the normal changes that come with menopause. The longest I've gone without a period is 4 months. Because of my age, the gyn. doc is considering me post-menopausal, I think. In any case, the fibroids have not gotten any smaller by waiting, and are now large enough to be causing low back pain and pelvic pain and one leg that's numb on the thigh. Bladder and bowel problems are there to a small degree, but it's been so insidious over the years that I really didn't notice it much until I started having GERD and digestive issues. The back pain from what seemed to be a degenerating fibroid is what drove me to start asking questions, and I was quite relieved to have gynecological issues rather than a back injury. Also, I look about five months pregnant--hope that resolves post-surgery. I am actually looking forward to the surgery and hope the problems will be nothing but a bad memory. I have no children (never wanted any) and never saw a real gynecologist until I was over 50. It's all kind of new, but this site has been a real boon to my education. My biggest fear is that I will starve to death in a filthy house because I'll have to depend on my DH for care afterwards...maybe I didn't train him right?? Anyhow, best wishes and hope you all recover as well as our younger sisters seem to.
Unread 11-18-2010, 06:22 PM

I'm 61 and had a hysterectomy because of Fibroids in August. I had not had a period in the previous ten years.
Unread 01-02-2011, 05:54 PM

Greetings! The responses here are really helpful. I'm 57 and just had a hysterectomy removing everything that was removeable. Ha! Ha! I had fibroids that were overwhelming my uterus and causing back pain, urinary and fecal urgency and sometimes my left thigh would go numb. Because I was post-menopausal, the thought was that it could be a rare cancer and thus the hysterectomy was an absolute decision to go quickly. I was blessed and it was benign . I am 4 weeks out of surgery and just wondering what is normal anymore. I feel great one minute and then exhausted, sad and bored, the next. I'm going to take the 6 weeks to get well, because I work with a population that needs hope, encouragement and role-modeling. I feel guilty that I should go back to work, yet, convicted that I am not "well" enough physically or emotionally to give my best. OH.... the gyn was surprised that the sudden pain and complications became problematic. I educated him about the frog. Do you know the frog story? If you put a frog into hot boiling water ( acute pain) then he will jump out. If you put a frog in cool water and then turn up the heat , then he will adjust to the warm water and eventually die. I was the frog for a long time ... I don't want to be the frog in the cool water anymore , nor do I want acute pain. I'll be better advised about my health, if I can overcome the guilt of "not doing enough" or "being there". What about you?
Unread 01-12-2011, 01:00 PM

I am 51 Just had TAH 6 week ago tomorrow. I was diagnosed with a large fibroid. I too had thought that if i wait that it would shrink during that menopause time. i tried all kinds or herbal meds and vinegar and water rememdie.But my pain got worse as i got older i did not no what it was i just new that during my cycle i had real bad cramping and blood clots some times, just 3 days and it would go away. around 45yrs old the pain got worse and i needed some real drugs asprin was not killing that pain. then i found out that i had fibroids and i wish i had had the surgery 10 years ago. I saw several doctors. make the choice that is best for you.. always get a second or third opinion.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.