HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Burning/Stinging SHOOTING pains ~ anyone else? Burning/Stinging SHOOTING pains ~ anyone else?

Unread 12-16-2008, 11:49 AM
Burning/Stinging SHOOTING pains over fanny?

Hi girls,

Doing a little better today BUT every now and then I have little sharp, stinging, burning, stabbing and HOT shooting pains that go from my huge 10-12 inch abdo wound and shoot across the skin area of my vagina:wow:

So NOT nice!!!, But thanks heavens they are very fast and then go----Me and my Mum think they could be nerve endings??
Anyone else have these??
Unread 12-16-2008, 01:02 PM
Burning/Stinging SHOOTING pains ~ anyone else?

I have been having burning pains as well occasionally - mine are in an area that I know I had some large fibroids and am assuming they worked in that area to remove everything. I had asked my Dr. about it in the castle and she said that it was the nerve endings. My mom had a Hysterectomy about 25 years ago and she experienced the same thing then. It sure isn't plesant is it?
Unread 12-16-2008, 02:40 PM

I have had some sharp, shooting pains in the vaginal area. But, they are quick and have stopped for the most part. Just every once in awhile I have one now.
Unread 12-16-2008, 05:17 PM

Funny enough just as I was reading this post I was feeling some shooting pains in my abdomen arean. I noticed too that when I have to go for a BM, I don't get any warnings or urges, I get this rush of pain in my intestines, like a sharp stabbing motion type of pain, brings a whole new level to the saying "when you gotta go, you gotta go!" so I scurry off to the bathroom immediately, also the first two days after surgery for some reason my fingers on my right hand were numb ( from my thumb to my ring finger) my pinky was fine. I asked the nurse why it was doing that but she had no idea :S
Unread 12-16-2008, 05:29 PM
Nerve Pain

Hi ladies. I'm seven weeks post op and I've had problems with shooting pains since TAH/BSO. I recognized them as nerve pains because they've happened before, but the hyster really stirred them up. (Caused by the use of retractors during surgery). Mine originate in my abdomen and shoot down the outside of my left leg. My right leg is somewhat affected too, but not as badly. I'd been taking the edge off with anti-inflammatories until my six week check up last week, when I talked with my Dr. about it. I now have a prescription for it that can take a bit to become effective. I'm not too worried about this, as it is usually something that resolves on it's own, but it is very uncomfortable when it happens. The skin is hypersensitive and sometimes numb all the time and then there are the pains. My recuperation has been pretty straightforward, except for an allergy to oral pain med that resulted in a dandy case of hives. I am doing really well otherwise and hope you all are too. Best wishes for your good health!

Barb A.
Unread 12-17-2008, 09:00 AM

Steph, I too have similar sensations before having to go the bathroom....I think it must have to do with the inflamation internally as well as with my TAH I am sure they had to move my intestines around a bit - they might be a bit sore too I suppose!
Unread 12-17-2008, 09:18 AM

Hi redmare,

It's what I'm suspecting too I know last time they did a lap my intestines were stuck to my left tube and ovary, they had to remove the adhesions and put it back where it goes. I wonder if something similar happened this time around too? Maybe there was extenssive damage done over the past year and a half since my lap that they had to excise the scars on my bowels and would explain why I'm hurting like crazy everytime. I seriously hope this goes away soon!
Unread 12-17-2008, 12:35 PM

Hi all, I have some burning pains too. Seem to be several different reasons. (I had a LSH BSO) My belly button incision burns when I over do things and am up too much. Pain before bowel movements a little too. Surgeon told me I had so many fibroids he couldn't count them. They were all stuck to my sigmoid colon and other stuff. I don't see my surgeon until 1/9, will let you know what his explanation for it is. I am still taking Percocet and Motrin, but not as much as the first couple days. Thank goodness for pain meds, they really help. Hugs to all, Annalee
Unread 12-17-2008, 01:11 PM

I have had pain in the vaginal area as well. Had a TVH so that explains it, plus I also have vulvodynia which probably made it worse for me. The whole area has been feeling alot better than the first few weeks.

As far as going to the bathroom, wow, that is different! I also get these sharp pains in my gut now.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.