HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

3 months post op from perineoplasty, sex issues still 3 months post op from perineoplasty, sex issues still

Unread 12-18-2008, 08:36 AM
3 months post op from perineoplasty, sex issues still

For those ladies that have had a perineoplasty....(also I had a posterior Colporrhaphy, but I am thinking that this is all related to the perineum repair)...

I am 3 months post op. My husband and I have been working through the issues I am having with the pain in the scar tissue area of the periniem, but finally I gave in and called my OB.

He prescribed an estrogen cream to apply to the area to soften it. Has anyone used this before? Have you had success?

For those that have had a perineoplasty, whas was the maximum post op time where sex was once again pleasurable and not painful?

thanks gals, I know it is a personal question, so I appreciate your insight.
Unread 12-21-2008, 10:17 PM

bluemoon--

So sorry you are having to deal with this on top of everything else. When it rains, it pours, eh? I did have a perineoplasty in Feb 2007. I've heard it compared to having an episiotomy. I think that can be true. I've also had several of those, too. I recovered from the perneoplasty as far as resuming sex in about 2-3 months, I do believe.

I know that many other ladies took longer to recover. I know of one person who said it took her a full year before she felt really 'normal'. So, you may need to give yourself some more time. The estrogen cream sounds like a good idea to go withe about it. I used it and will STILL use it now when I need it. After age 30, one can still produce it but in declining amounts and thus it can need to be replaced at least vaginally to keep things in good repair and 'normal' there.

I hope you can resolve this ASAP...Hugs to you and yours.......
Unread 12-29-2008, 09:22 PM

Hi BlueMoon,
I've had more than one perineoplasty. With each surgery I came to realize that complete recovery can't be expected in the normal 6-8 week time frame the Drs usually use as a reference. Physically you are allowed to resume your normal activities but your body can take so much longer to heal. As Deb said many women feel that one year is what it took for them to feel completely normal again. Give yourself more time and continue the Estrogen cream because that really helps.
For me I wish I could say that these surgeries were successful and that sex is pain free for me but I'd be lying. Honestly I think the reason I still have pain with sex is because of all the scar tissue from all the vaginal surgeries I've had. I just thank my lucky stars that DH is patient and gentle!!
Michelle
Unread 12-30-2008, 10:39 AM

I had major scar tissue from my 1st rectocele repair and from my prior tear repair from my son's birth. I went to pelvic floor therapy and they did manual massage to that area to break it up and WOW what a difference. Yes the PT is embarrassing and thought at the time I wanted to quit but it truly helped. I am now 2 weeks post op from another surgery and will probably do therapy again down the road. My PT was very nice and discreet and tried to make it as comfortable as she could but the massage is painful at 1st. My urogyn said since I have been through PT already I could just try the tissue massage on my own once healed, we'll see!
Unread 01-10-2009, 12:47 AM
Perineoplasty - Help

I just had a perineoplasty done 3 days ago. i feel good. However, I am far more closed then anticipated. I can not imagine getting anything in there. I was expecting to be far less closed up. should I be concerned or will this relax over time. What do I do. Help me sisters
Unread 01-10-2009, 12:49 AM

Krazykatt, when did you start the PT and do you need to be referred. I'm scarred to death that I wont be open enough.
Unread 01-10-2009, 06:20 AM

Just an update: The estrogen cream has been helping alot. And it is getting much much better. So there is hope. I am about 3 and 1/2 months post op and we started resuming intimacy at about 6 weeks.

To all those that are worried, just know that at first it hurts, but try to relax. Maybe have some wine and really set the mood before you try that first time. And take your time. Be patient and soon it will be more comfortable.

My OB also suggested the manual stretching too. All you do is take your thumb once a day and kind of push the scar tissue towards your rear. It hurts a little, but over time it will help.

As far as the repair itself, I have tore during childbirth with 2 of my 3 children. The perineoplasty is a different kind of sewing than what was done after delivery. It's almost as if it is more dewn up from the inside if you know what I mean. There is far far less room in the opening.
Unread 01-10-2009, 08:27 AM

I was told to wait 8 weeks before PT but I actually waited 12 when I got in there. I just underwent more repairs so I imagine I'll have more scar tissue to deal with again but I've been through it already so it's easier for me to be patient since I know eventually things work out Time, patience and proper PT can do a lot, have faith I was referred by my dr. however my insurance doesn't require referrals so I didn't need one. It's worth looking into in my opinion.
Unread 04-27-2009, 04:28 PM
Re: 3 months post op from perineoplasty, sex issues still

I had a Vag Hyster. and A and P Repair in December, which is almost 5 month ago. I am still having pain at the posterier vaginal incision. I have been using an Estrogen cream for about a month which doesn't seem to have helped any yet per surgeon's instructions. On my own I tried a Vagisil cream with benzocaine on that area only, prior to sex. It helped me a lot but my partner did have a small amount of numbness but it was not enough to interfere with his ability to function. Hope this is helpful to any of you with similar problems.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.