HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Do your internal organs move after a hysterectomy ? Do your internal organs move after a hysterectomy ?

Unread 12-23-2008, 08:23 AM
Do your internal organs move after a hysterectomy ?

I am very curious and can't seem to find any information on this one. Does the intestine and or other organs fill up the place where one's uterus was ? Or does it remain a hollow space ? If the intestine does move down to fill up the space, is that why it feels as if gas and and bm are going across the top of my vaginal cuff ? This doesnt always happen but sometimes I can feel as if this is occuring and it can be quite painful . ( I am 10 months post hysterectomy).

Does anyone know the answer to this ?
Unread 12-23-2008, 09:26 AM

Yep things move around to fill up the space. I had some intense pains after surgery with things moving through the bladder and through the intestines and agitating the vaginal cuff area. Those have subsided somewhat but there are definitely some different sensations. All part of getting to know the new me. If it's still painful after 10 months maybe talke to your MD?
Unread 12-23-2008, 11:35 PM

Thanks for that, the pain is not intense anymore, it only happens now and then and is mildly uncomfortable. I would be interested to know if there are any web images of post surgery internal arrangements. I tried to look, but was perhaps using the incorrect terminology.
Unread 12-26-2008, 10:09 PM

The only pictures I've seen are the ones my doctor took during surgery before and after the hysterectomy. It was like now you see it, now you don't. I didn't notice anything in a different place than it was before though... then again they take the pictures while you're on your back, plus I was just trying to wrap my brain around the fact that I was looking at my own insides and not some medical journal of someone else's surgery.
Unread 12-26-2008, 10:12 PM

My doctor did explain to me that the intestines & other organs do move around to fill in the empty space. I have heard up to a year before you don't wake up & think about the surgery & are all healed so as long as it's not bad pain I would think it is ok. Our bodies sure go through a lot don't they. Best wishes!
Unread 12-27-2008, 01:31 PM

Yes, I felt my intestines moving to fill the space several days after the hyst. It was weird. It seems to have finished after just a few days-by about 12 days post-op-and now it's fine. I would think that photos taken during the surgery wouldn't reflect changes that could take weeks or months?
Unread 12-27-2008, 02:51 PM

I wouldn't think there is much change.. as everything is pushed aside when pregnant.. and a normal uterus is only about the size of a pear, so not much of an area to fill.
Unread 12-27-2008, 05:11 PM
maybe not much area but...

Maybe there's not much area but boy howdy does it seem like you can notice it. I'm almost 5 weeks out and it seems like once again I can feel things rubbing over the healing vaginal cuff and it sort of itches. Those 2 weeks when everything was sore from being moved around and there was inflammation was another point for me.
Unread 12-27-2008, 05:45 PM

So if the uterus only takes up a tiny space inside why did I feel as though I had this HUGE empty space inside me that things seemed to flop in to the gap when I rolled over in bed for the first month?

Oh, I know, it was that huge swelly belly I had post op :-)
Unread 12-28-2008, 07:10 AM

It really is a little space, however - I have had a couple C-Sections and DO remember feeling everything 'flop' and roll all over. Not really sure why - but in any event, it eventually settles all into place.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.