HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

anybody know about benadryl before surgery? anybody know about benadryl before surgery?

Unread 12-24-2008, 12:28 PM
anybody know about benadryl before surgery?

Has anybody asked if they can take Benadryl before a hysterectomy? I know I cannot take anything containing aspirin due to blood thinning, but didn't ask about benadryl. My surgery is next Tuesday, 12/30, and I have bad hay fever today. I am running a slight temp, have a bad headache, body aches, eyes won't stop watering and burning and itching and the sneezing is out of control.

I have tried to reach my doctor's office, but obviously due to today being Christmas Eve, they are not in. I also tried calling the hospital, but the nurse is not in today. I even went so far as to call the company that makes Benadryl, and they couldn't tell me if I could take it or not. I have considered calling my pharmacy, but have not done so yet.

Anybody else experienced this? I don't want to take the Benadryl if it will cause any problems with my surgery, but I am DYING with my allergies today! I am also concerned that if I am still experiencing allery problems like this come next Tuesday, then they won't perform the surgery.

Help!

Thanks in advance.
Unread 12-24-2008, 03:01 PM

I am not a physician, but coming from a fellow allergy sufferer I would think taking a benadryl today and tomorrow would be okay, then by Friday you should be able to get in touch with your doctor's office to see if you can continue over the next few days up to your surgery.

I again am just going on my personal experience, and allergy medications have never come up as a problem for me.

I hope you find some relief!
Unread 12-24-2008, 03:04 PM

I completely forgot, my son has chronic allergies and takes children's liquid benadryl almost everyday. When he had general anesthetic for dental work last year they knew about all his meds and didnt say to stop that one.
That is benadryl allergy only, not benadryl cold & allergy, the cold one has different stuff in it.

Hope that helps!
Unread 12-24-2008, 03:07 PM

That helps me tremendously! Thank you so much! I called the benadryl manufacturers again and they told me that benadryl is actually out of your system within 24-48 hours, so it should be safe to take today and tomorrow. I am definitely going to call my doc office on Friday, however, to see if I can continue taking it until the day prior to my surgery. I took a benadryl about an hour ago and feel SO much better!

Thanks again!
Unread 12-24-2008, 03:41 PM

Hi Kat,

I sure hope it is ok since I am breaking out in occasional hives and have to take it!!! I think it is ok, but I am not a dr. The pharmacist is a good person to call. BTW, from your description, it sounds like you are catching a cold, not allergies. But from what I've heard, they will still do the surgery unless you have a high fever. Right now, have some chicken soup and TAKE IT EASY! I know it is Christmas eve, but please don't overdo it. Make time for a nice warm bath, and get in bed with the heating pad. Tylenol should be ok for the body aches.

Like I said, I think benadryl is ok... I have even been given it in my IV before anesthesia. But you should really check with the pharmacist.

Good luck with your surgery... Mine is 1/5.

CC
Unread 12-24-2008, 04:28 PM
zyrtec

Don't forget about over the counter clairitin or even better, Zyrtec. Those are definitely safe.

Kara :xmas2:
Unread 12-24-2008, 05:13 PM

Thanks, ladies! I feel so much better now since I took a benadryl earlier! It had to have been the allergies. They're miserable right now!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway