HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

PID after Mirena insertion...anyone? PID after Mirena insertion...anyone?

Unread 12-29-2008, 03:18 AM
PID after Mirena insertion...anyone?

My Gyn thinks that I have classic adeno so we tried to have the mirena as a last resort. I had a d&c, hysteroscope and the mirena put in under a general day stay procedure just over two weeks ago. I had been having pain on and off over the two week period and mentioned this in my follow up appointment but she said to persist and things should settle down within three months. Well Christmas Day I woke up in agony. I put up with the absolutely intense pain in my abdomen and the next day went to hospital because I couldn't bear it any longer. It turns out I developed a bad case of PID from the mirena insertion. I was in hospital for two days and given a multitude of antibiotics. It was awful. My questions for those that have been through this before is did you have the mirena taken out after the infection or if you didn't did you get a reoccuring infection? I never want to go through that again. I see my gyn after the holiday period is over. I now have no idea where this leaves me as the next option is a hysterectomy. I'm ok with that but need to mentally plan for it I think first.
Unread 12-30-2008, 12:31 AM

Hi there,

So sorry this happened to you! Of course as a layperson, I cannot give any medical advice to you... I would recommend a second opinion regarding Mirena staying in, coming out, or hyster.

I have done some research tho, and have found that it can happen that the Mirena INSERTION, hysteroscope and D/C can all, individually, lead to infection of the uterus and possible other pelvic structures (although very uncommon). Any of the three could have caused it, basically. What can happen is that bacteria present in the vagina that is pretty harmless in that location (like bacterial vaginosis) can be introduced into the sterile uterus. Also other bacteria that may be present in the hospital setting can get introduced that way. That said, it may not be the Mirena itself that caused the PID. Some of the RARE problems with the mirena or other IUDs are migration/perforation of the uterus (it moves outside the uterine wall), longterm chronic infection of the IUD, and a personal "foreign body" reaction.

Did imaging show the Mirena in its proper place? Are the strings still evident where they should be?

Again, I am not a medical professional, but it may have been the procedure that introduced the infection. Antibiotics could, theroretically clear it up and the mirena be fine. But you should ask your doctor about the Mirena "harboring" residual bacteria (running into chronic infections) and ask if should it come out.

As far as my research goes, acute PID with no other issues is not a reason for hyster- but chronic PID can be.

Make sure to discuss all the options with your doctor. You definitely don't want to go through this again! Keep a look out for the symptoms you had just in case, while you are awaiting your appt. Did you get a fever too? I would think so.. plus the pain.

Good luck!

cc
Unread 12-30-2008, 01:55 AM

Hi shortchick,

I had the Mirena for a year before I started experiencing severe pain and low-grade fever this September. I had to have the Mirena removed and ended up hospitalized for PID.

Obviously, this is only my personal experience. But my doctors told me it would be unwise to leave the Mirena in or try for reinsertion - PID is nothing to mess with.

I had my hyst last week.

Good luck - I'll be thinking of you...
Unread 12-30-2008, 02:33 AM

Hi CC, the recommended hysterectomy is for the suspected adenomyosis. I did have a fever but mostly chills. Interesting that the other procedures can cause infection too. Thanks so much for that information. I'm two days post hospital stay and feeling quite awful again :-( I don't know what is going on now!!

Hi Zumm, thanks for that. I don't think I'll be keeping it in. I've read too much negativity and after this experience and the possibility of it happening again, I don't want to risk it. I've gone through enough pain with my uterus I'm just so sick and tired of it all. What did you have your hysterectomy for?
Unread 12-30-2008, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortchick
Hi Zumm, thanks for that. I don't think I'll be keeping it in. I've read too much negativity and after this experience and the possibility of it happening again, I don't want to risk it. I've gone through enough pain with my uterus I'm just so sick and tired of it all. What did you have your hysterectomy for?
I know what you mean - the idea of attempting to insert a new IUD literally made me sick to my stomach, after the pain of the PID. And for me, the IUD was literally the last weapon in our arsenal - once we hit failure with the Mirena, tht was it, I was done, and I knew I could move forward with the hyst knowing that we had tried everything else.

My hyst was for adenomyosis. I'm waiting for my follow up in a coupe of weeks to hear all the details, but suffice it to say that the last three months of 2008 were the most painful of my life.
Unread 12-30-2008, 08:18 PM

Hi!

I must've missed the adeno in the first post... sorry!

sounds like you have more than one reason for a hyster. Discuss with your doctor the different types and what he recommends for you. Definitely ask about having the infection treated before doing any surgery. You said you are feeling bad again... it could be coming back. Please go to the ER if you feel it is back so they can get on top of it.

Good luck to you,

CC
Unread 01-17-2009, 09:36 PM
What is the infection like...

I have a very bad infection from the mirena I got in January 8th this year. I have something like the flu, chills, bad odor, heavy bleeding, yellowish dishcharge. Doc was gonna call in perscription yesterday but of course forgot. I had PID when i was a teen (now 27). What were your symptoms. I am soooo mad. This isn't the first thing I am mad about with them.....
Unread 01-18-2009, 11:25 AM

Duneschick, personally if I were having those symptoms I would not wait for Monday to talk to your doctor - I would head into the ER. PID is nothing to mess with.
Unread 01-18-2009, 08:39 PM

Duneschick,

I survived Acute PID. The longer you wait for treatment the more damage it can cause. I would recommend simply going to the ER. PID is a really really really serious condition. I had similar symptoms when I was diagnosed. If you see your regular doctor request that they draw blood to check your white blood cell count. High WBC's would likely require more than just oral antibiotics. In my case, I was hospitalized for 5 days and was put on intravenous broad spectrum antibiotics. PID, whether treated by IV or orally, requires broad spectrum antibiotics given in conjunction with prednisone. The pred is important in successfully treating PID as it allows the antibiotics to penetrate the infected tissue more effectively, reducing the chance of Chronic PID. Please see a doctor who is skilled in treating PID. Let us know how you are doing.... Hugs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by duneschick
I have a very bad infection from the mirena I got in January 8th this year. I have something like the flu, chills, bad odor, heavy bleeding, yellowish dishcharge. Doc was gonna call in perscription yesterday but of course forgot. I had PID when i was a teen (now 27). What were your symptoms. I am soooo mad. This isn't the first thing I am mad about with them.....
Unread 10-10-2011, 06:49 AM
Re: PID after Mirena insertion...anyone?

Hi,
I know this is not directly related to your question but I was wondering if anyone developed endo, cervix and ovarian growths after the insertion of the Mirena? I have had mine for three years and never had these issues prior?

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.