HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Acute Pelvic Pain post ablation Acute Pelvic Pain post ablation

Unread 12-31-2008, 03:46 PM
Acute Pelvic Pain post ablation

I have had ongoing endo problems and have had two laparoscopies to remove endo, and I have had my left ovary removed because of a cyst. One successful pregnancy that didn't come easy or quickly and a family history of gyno problems. Oct '06 I had an ablation and tubal ligation of my remaining ovary. Everything was great with no periods until July 07.

At that time I suffered from an incredibly severe lower back pain that I could only assume was a kidney stone. It lasted maybe 8-12 hours, was managed with ibuprofen and maybe an old pain prescription--can't remember. Bottom line, it went away, but it did immediately preceed bleeding (All of my periods are more like spotting incidents with one or two tampons only and no longer than two days).

The same thing has happened intermittently, sometimes two to three months apart, but more recently about every month. This horrible pain always happens just before the bleeding begins. The last incident lasted longer and was absolutely the worst pain I've every had. I over did the vicuporfin and found no relief whatsoever. I think if I had had a gun I would have shot myself. Now I am scared. I don't think I can take another incident like this.

My gyno thinks that a hysterectomy is the answer. I was convinced it was a kidney stone that is trapped down low and gets jostled by uterine movement, but I had an xray with contrast dye injected and the images came back negative for a stone.

My question is how can I know that a hysterectomy will solve the problem? He has mentioned adenymiosis (sp?) and some sort of nerve irritation that coicides with menstruation--sounds a little too lame for the pain I am experiencing. What could possible be causing this pain besides endometriosis? Is there any relationship between the the ablation and the first incident that occured nine months later? Despite having bad cramps with menstruation all of my life, I have never had pain like this. It feels like back labor, but is worse. The pain seems localized on the left side of my pubic bone and is equally painful in my lower back, and it shoots down my leg. The pain is always on the left side (where there is no ovary).

I supposed I could be getting a kidney stone on almost a monthly basis, but the correspondence with my period seems to suggest a gyno problem. I would not know if I had blood in my urine when this happends because I am usually spotting. Can anyone cite a simillar experience or suggest a diagnosis? I love my doctor, but he seems clueless and just keeps talking hysterectomy (to which I have always been passionately and obnoxiously opposed but would have in a heartbeat now if I knew it would solve the problem).

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to give.
Unread 01-01-2009, 11:43 AM

Hello there and Happy New Year!

what you are experiencing is not uncommon. There is a condition that can occur, with or without adenomyosis, called post ablation/tubal ligation syndrome. And you sound like you have some of the classic symptoms. The fact that you have had endo just makes it worse. Of course I am not a dr., and I am giving you this information based on the endless research I have done on the subject of excruciating pain post ablation.

funny, but I too thought I had kidney stones! Mine hurts mostly on my left side. It was determined that this had nothing to do with my kidneys. it is my uterus and cervix, so the dr thinks. I have a hyster on Monday, and just want to get it over with. Evidently, my irritable/inflamed cervix and uterus can cause all kinds of weird symptoms, such as rectal pressure, urinary urgency, severe lower back pain, severe pelvic pain, and if it gets really bad, I actually develop hemorrhoids from the pressure. I have been on narcotics for two months now, and am ready for this sucker to come out!!

Just my opinion, but I think your gyno is correct about having a hyster. But second opinions are always valuable, and would be a good idea to set your mind at ease.

Good luck,

CC
Unread 01-01-2009, 11:55 AM

Here is the link to a published medical paper on the post ablation syndrome:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...1c4484c1f73b07

There is much more info out there.

Go to Google and type in "post ablation tubal ligation syndrome".

Has he done trans vaginal ultrasound looking at your tubes or for fluid in the uterus?? sometimes this will show up on US in women with the post ablation syndrome. Sometimes the US is normal, but you can still have the syndrome. Imaging is only so good....
Unread 01-01-2009, 03:47 PM

Thanks for the info. I will read the article. I wasn't necessarily convinced that it was the ablation that caused this to happen, especially since nine months lapsed before the onset. I have not had an US for this condition. I was hoping he would line one up very soon. Initially I had a hard time convincing anyone that this was gynecological since it sounds a lot like sciatica, too. Thanks for giving me some specific ideas I can bring up with him. Good luck with your hyster on Monday.
Unread 01-02-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierlady
I love my doctor, but he seems clueless and just keeps talking hysterectomy (to which I have always been passionately and obnoxiously opposed but would have in a heartbeat now if I knew it would solve the problem).

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to give.
Dear hoosierlady:

I hope you will seek out a second (or third) medical opinion. It's important that you get smart about your symptoms and your options so that you can make the best choice to relieve the symptoms.

I am sending huge cyberhugs
Unread 01-03-2009, 11:19 AM
Thank you. . . .

Thanks for the support. I found four different gynos specializing in pelvic pain and endometriosis, and I plan to start calling for appointments.
Unread 04-10-2010, 10:35 PM
Re: Acute Pelvic Pain post ablation

I am curious to know how this turned out for you. I have been scheduled for hysterectomy on may 18, due to pelvic pain post ablation.
Unread 04-10-2010, 10:46 PM

I had Novasure Ablation Jan 2007. My periods were reduced to normal. I had intermittent pelvic pain and bloating beginning Jan 08. I went to a new GYN Jan 09. She ordered US and said i had adenomyosis and 10 cm fibroid. Pain became constant, I had LSH March 09. pathology came back positve for adenomyosis and my fibroid was filled with old brown blood.
Unread 04-10-2010, 11:18 PM

I too am curious on the outcome. I am scheduled May 17th and I too have pelvic pain after an ablation.
Unread 04-12-2010, 09:06 PM

Sorry that I have not gotten on this thread for a while. I did end up having a hysterectomy (abdominal incision); preserved my cervix and my one remaining ovary. Biopsy revealed that I did have some adenymiosis (sp?) and a fibroid or two. None of this was revealed in the preliminary tests (ultrasound, MRI). No one that I know of has ever had pre-hysterectomy diagnosis of adenymiosis--think it usually is the kind of thing that the tissue has to be in hand for detection. I don't regret having the abdominal incision hyster, but wonder if I was being too much of a control freak at insisting on keeping the cervix.

The good news is that I have lived a life free of the pain associated with menstruation. Talk about life altering . . . I also have had regular bowel movements very nearly after eating a meal. I have always known people who went to the bathroom right after they ate; now, I would say that I am living that experience 75% of the time (I'm not a big eater or regular meal eater so there's the other 25%).

I did have a second opinion before the hyster. This doc told me that she detected a pocket of live tissue inside my uterus. This was done through an ultrasound. She, too, though was non committal on the cause of the hideous, alarming pain. Obviously, even though no one could guarantee it, the hyster did take care of it.

On a side note, last week I had a tiny bit of dark brown spotting. I have had dreams about this, so I was freaking out. I have had additional abdominal pain on my right side, and I suspected an ovarian cyst on my remaining ovary. Additionally, at age 45, I've been having complexion issues, horrible breast pain, bloating, etc. I am worried about preserving that ovary since my other one was taken when the doc attempted to remove a cyst from it a few years prior to the hyster. Doc ordered an abdominal ultrasound and I haven't heard from him yet. Ultrasound tech indicated that I did have a cyst on the ovary but not too terribly big. In the meantime, although I am not overweight, I do have high cholesterol, so I have started a regime to help with perimenopause and the bad lipids: Evening primrose oil, flaxseed oil with lignans, black currant oil, a 'living green" multi vitamin, calcium, niacin, vitamin D, and lysine.

Long story short: I am convinced that the ablation complicated my uterine issues, giving about 7 months relief prior to the worst pain of my life came on with regularity--it was like having back labor every single month.

I would not recommend ablation ever. I would not recommend hysterectomy to just anyone, either. Lucky for me, it definitely was a life enhancer. I think I will see other negative results of having no uterus, but it's too soon to report that now. Admittedly, I am a pretty vain person who worries about losing her figure and about aging, so maybe I am just being unreasonable. Not judging others for their reasons. Clearly, these kinds of issues are personal choices, and no one can know the pain or suffering you have endured, so every woman must do what she feels she needs to do. I only say all of this because I was so passionately against hysterectomy. I was wrong. Good luck to you all. Would be happy to respond further.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.