HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hyster Sisters Community Central > Monthly Poll (and occasional Contest!)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

View Poll Results: If you had a hysterectomy, did you keep your ovaries?
Yes, I kept my ovaries. 1,858 46.59%
Yes, I kept ONE ovary. 466 11.69%
Yes, I kept one/both ovaries but they were removed during a later surgery. 62 1.55%
No, both ovaries were removed during my hysterectomy. 1,602 40.17%
Voters: 3988. You may not vote on this poll

If you had a hysterectomy, did you keep your ovaries? If you had a hysterectomy, did you keep your ovaries?

Unread 01-14-2009, 05:30 PM
If you had a hysterectomy, did you keep your ovaries?

I had one ovary removed because it had two mid sized cysts, both a mucinoid and a dermoid cyst. I kept the other because it was not affected with these cysts and I wanted to avoid/delay the possible progression of heart disease (which runs in my mother's family).
Unread 01-14-2009, 08:21 PM

charminglearner,

Thanks for the post. I had to seriously think about the heart disease. I too have been blessed with bad genes. My maternal grandfather died at age 55 after a couple heart attacks and a 4 vessel bypass. my father had his first heart attack at age 49, he has had 2 more, abdominal aortic aneurysm, aortic arch aneurysm, and a 4 vessel bypass. My mother has non insulin dependant diabetes (another strike on my blood vessel genes). I decided that I could help control my other risk factors for heart disease, and there are many tests to help me observe my cholesterol, triglyserides, blood pressure, etc. Now as for ovarian cancer, you can have a Ca-125 drawn but, without symptoms most docs won't run one. You do bring up agreat point though that all women should consider when facing a hysterectomy. Thanks for your concern and keep up the good work. God bless you.
Unread 01-15-2009, 05:45 AM

I would have kept both but my right ovary was HUGE factor to a lot of my pain before, during and after my periods.
I had a Total LAVH 12/29/08.
Unread 01-15-2009, 06:47 AM

PyrLove;

To be so small those ovaries can sure cause a lot of big problems. I have had back pain since before my father-in-law passed away (4 years ago) which has been GONE since I woke up in the recovery room. I hope you are doing well and healing quickly. God bless you.
Unread 01-15-2009, 07:23 AM
Smile - If you had a hysterectomy, did you keep your ovaries? If you had a hysterectomy, did you keep your ovaries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by radoncnurse
PyrLove;

To be so small those ovaries can sure cause a lot of big problems. I have had back pain since before my father-in-law passed away (4 years ago) which has been GONE since I woke up in the recovery room. I hope you are doing well and healing quickly. God bless you.
Thank you!
I can honestly say that is has been by far the best $$ I've spent and decision I have ever made. The only regret I have is letting me Dr talk me out of it 3 yrs ago.
Unread 01-15-2009, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrLove
Thank you!
I can honestly say that is has been by far the best $$ I've spent and decision I have ever made. The only regret I have is letting me Dr talk me out of it 3 yrs ago.

Your Welcome. I agree with this being worth the $$ and best decision ever. I waited a year, and now wish I hadn't. Take care.
Unread 01-15-2009, 09:12 AM
Kept Ovaries

Kept ovaries
I am not sure why, I guess I just wanted to keep all that I could. I did not “want” this procedure, but my choices were gone. I could not put up with the suffering any longer.
I never had any problems with my ovaries, so my Dr. said that would be OK. She made me promise that if there were problems in the future, that I would not be mad at her for not taking them.
On the 31st, it will be one year. To look at me you cannot even tell I had surgery. I have two scars that resemble chicken pox. I am truly Blessed.

Marcia
Unread 01-15-2009, 09:20 AM
Smile - If you had a hysterectomy, did you keep your ovaries? If you had a hysterectomy, did you keep your ovaries?

AMEN to that! I too have 3 scars that resemble Chicken Pox. My surgeon was VERY careful. This surgery was a cinch b/c I did what I was told, and I didn't do what they told me NOT to do. I didn't lift any more than 5lbs for 6 months. It wasn't easy, but I had a lot of support. There were things that didn't get done and we all lived ~ imagine that?

Marcia
Unread 01-15-2009, 10:17 AM

marciaann72;

Thanks for the post. I am 4 weeks post op today. My biggest problem is not doing too much because I feel so GOOD. I am kinda going stir crazy being at home. I work full time and run with my 17 year old daughter (she plays all sports) so being home is making me nuts. I have made fleece blankets and t-shirts etc. All my friends work as well so I don't have anyone to "PLAY" with. I would like to start exercising again, but afraid to until I go for my 6 week check. Take care and God bless you.
Unread 01-15-2009, 12:54 PM

i go tomorrow to the doctor again i think if he decides to go ahead with taking the ovaries out then i am going to say ok lets do it. i am tired of the pain and i will not want hrt. i will try an do without it if possible.thanks for all the comments and stories it really helps. may god bless each of you!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.