HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Separate Surgeries

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Ongoing Pain/Ovarian Remnant Syndrome Ongoing Pain/Ovarian Remnant Syndrome

Unread 01-06-2009, 02:26 PM
Ongoing Pain/Ovarian Remnant Syndrome

I had surgery in August 2008 for Ovarian Remnant Syndrome. The doctor found ovarian tissue (and removed it) even though I had a complete hysterectomy in 2002. But I continue to have pain. Sometimes the pain is the typical "cramps" of deep, heaviness, continuous pain and other times it is stabbing pain. Is this ORS something that will always continue to come back? What can be done to prevent it? Thanks!
Unread 01-07-2009, 12:11 PM

don't know much about ors but I can tell you that your pain sounds a lot like mine. I had a TAH on 3/12/08. Then removal of my right ovary on 10/22/08. I only have one ovary remaining and just found out that I have another cyst growing. I have had pain on my right side where my ovary was removed since the surgery and it is bad. It never goes away and also moves to my back if I do too much. Hopefully someone will come along that can answer your question. Just wanted to let you know that your not alone with how your feeling.
Unread 01-07-2009, 02:50 PM

Thanks for the reply! What is a TAH? I have not heard of that reference. I just keep thinking I will run across the right doctor that cares and will pursue an answer.
Unread 01-23-2009, 06:21 AM

Hi hi, I´m so sorry to hear about your pain, but to tell you the truth, it´s not unlikely that your ORS has growth back ! Your pain is exactly like mine, and I have ORS now for the third time They took my left ovary in january "08, right away after surgery, my ovary growth back, I went again on surgery in March "08 , and got well for a few weeks and then start to get the same pain again, and my gyn found a cyst in mai "08, so back in surgery in august "08 to remove ORS. Again I felt fine for 2 months but then start getting my same old pain, and my gyn found a cyst in december "08 : ( The ORS sadly can come again & again!! So I would go to your gyn and let him do an ultrasound on you...
I hope that you let me know how you feel now, and if it is something you want to ask, just ask

best regards from the snow in Iceland : *
Unread 01-25-2009, 03:43 PM

i had a TVH in 2006, a BSO in 2007 then started getting pains again early 2008 but thought it was recovery from the surgery , i eventually went back to docs to find out my right ovary had grown back - literally. it was definately ovarian tissue, and was functioning like an ovary, it was also the size of an ovary. i had it removed Nov 2008. The last couple of days ive had a few pains, which is how the other problem started last year, im hoping that it hasnt come back a 2nd time.. wont be happy
Unread 01-25-2009, 05:34 PM

Hello,
Thanks for the reply and information. The next plan of attack by my doctor is 1) take Chlomid (a fertility drug not covered by my insurance) for 7 days, then 2) have blood tested for estrogen level, and 3) have a pelvic ultrasound. He is assuming that he did not get all of the ovarian tissue in my surgery 5 months ago and that the Chlomid will "stimulate" it enough to show in an ultrasound. If it is buried in scar tissue, like the previous one, I don't know how it would show up in the ultrasound. At this point it is so hard to see light at the end of the tunnel. Has anyone else used this procedure for checking the ORS?
Thanks!
Unread 01-26-2009, 09:53 AM

TAH = Total Abdominal Hysterectomy.
Unread 01-28-2009, 12:09 PM

I don't know if you listed your doctor's plan in order that he will do it, but the blood test should be done first, then if positive do the clomid, here it is prescribed only for 5 days not 7, then an ultrasound to locate it so it can be more easily found and removed by your surgeon. Good luck.
Unread 01-28-2009, 12:58 PM

I have never heard of this!! Checking it out now! Clomid is nasty stuff!!
Unread 01-28-2009, 04:21 PM

Thanks for the response! Actually I have had several blood tests since the ORS, and the doctor said the estradiol should be 10 or less (with no oviarian tissue present) and it is between 30-39. So I guess by having the blood test after taking the clomid, he will then see if it did change the estradiol level. What I'm concerned with is that the ovarian tissue he is looking for could be buried in scar tissue (as it previously was) and may not show in the ultrasound test. I just feel I'm on the never ending merry-go-round! And I'm assuming if the clomid does stimulate the possible ovarian tissue that is left, it will bring on more pain.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.