HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Vaginal Cuff Granulation - Cauterization - Silver Nitrate Vaginal Cuff Granulation - Cauterization - Silver Nitrate

Unread 01-14-2009, 02:25 PM
Vaginal Cuff Granulation - Cauterization - Silver Nitrate

Had a hysterectomy oophrectomy, rectocele repair, cystocele repair and lift Nov 12/08. Now am 9 weeks post op. Saw my Ob/Gyn Jan 5/09 and was cauterized due to granulation at top of vaginal cuff. Dr. advised to contact her in a week if still bleeding. Jan 13/09 saw my G.P., requested an exam due to bleeding. He cauterized again a 2nd time, and told me to come back in 2 weeks time to have it possibly done again. I phoned by Ob/Gyn office Jan 14/09 and now have an appt with her Jan 19/08. My Ob/Gyn is a 5.5 hr drive or 8 hr bus ride away from where I live. I have been bleeding for 9 weeks, and am exhausted. My G.P. finally agreed to do all thyroid tests, B-12, Iron, and anything else that may point to the cause of my exhaustion. I had a Uterine Ablation May 22/08, orthoscopic shoulder surgery Sept. 29/08, and the hyster et al Nov 12/08. My exhaustion began mid August after a holiday on the East Coast. How many times should you be cauterized after this type of surgery? I was scheduled to go back to work Jan 12/09, but was pushed back to Jan 26/09 due to my fatigue. What can repair my bleeding? Do I need surgery again? If so, is it something that can be done in the Drs. office, or do I have to do day surgery? Thanks!
aileen 59
Unread 01-14-2009, 02:35 PM

Hi aileen 59!

It sounds like you have a stubborn case of granulation tissue, just like I did. When I first went to my doctor and reported my symptoms of spotting after intercourse, he diagnosed the granulation. He treated it with silver nitrate but told me there was so much granulation that he didn't know if the silver nitrate would take care of the problem. As it turned out, I did need to have an in-office, minor surgery (LEEP) to remove the granulation tissue and then a few more treatments of silver nitrate after that.

There's information about granulation and how it's treated in this link: Granulation.

The good news is that though it was a long journey, I did eventually heal and haven't been troubled with it since. Hopefully you won't need surgery but if you do, it's not too awful.

Let us know what happens next for you, okay?

s
Unread 01-14-2009, 05:09 PM

Hi April Dawn: thanks for the info. How long did this last for you? I have been off work since Sept. 26th and am supposed to go back Jan 26th. I don't want to go if I keep bleeding/cramping every time I get the silver nitrate. I already had read the link on granulation - thanks. However, other research I found had a woman having silver nitrate applied for over 6 months, before they finally did surgery to remove a suture. I read about LEEP . . . now for the big question . . . when will I ever have sex again?? Between the shoulder surgery, and this hyster stuff, it has been more than a while. We did try after 7 weeks and that's when the bleeding began.
Unread 01-14-2009, 07:05 PM

My granulation tissue wasn't discovered until I was around 7 months post-op. It took around 2 months after starting treatments before I was fully healed. After each treatment my doctor recommended a period of abstinence (several days after silver nitrate, a week or more after the LEEP). I remember that it felt like my recovery dragged on forever.

Ask your doctor when it's safe for you to resume intercourse and when you get clearance, wait until you feel ready. You've been through a lot with your surgeries and it's going to take time until you feel back to normal. My doctor said to expect full recovery to take a year and that was pretty accurate for me.

s
Unread 01-14-2009, 10:55 PM

Hi Aileen,
I was bleeding for the first 5 weeks. When I went to the doc, it turned ou that my Vaginal Cuff had separated and I had to go in the day after my post-op for an outpatient surgery to so it shut. I don't know much about granulation, but I am going to look it up from the link April provided. (P.S. I am not bleeding anymore.)
Good luck!
Unread 01-15-2009, 08:27 AM

Thanks April and Library Diva for your information! Will keep you both posted.
Moira

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway