HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Surgical removal of scar tissue after LAVH Surgical removal of scar tissue after LAVH

Unread 01-15-2009, 08:46 AM
Surgical removal of scar tissue after LAVH

I am 5 months post op almost and gyn has done silver nitrate 3 times now to help with scar tissue and now recommends out patient surgery to remove scar tissue. I wonder if anyone else has had these same problems?
Thanks for help!
Unread 01-16-2009, 08:37 AM

cds010203

I'm so sorry you're experiencing this and hope that any ladies who can relate will be along soon to share.

In the meantime, it may help you to try a Google Search of HysterSisters (towards the top right of every page) to find any similar concerns.

Sending all good wishes and positive thoughts your way for a good outcome.

Unread 02-06-2009, 02:57 PM

I'm glad you posted your question - I'm 8 weeks post-op and had some scar tissue removed yesterday. I'm going back to the doctor in 3 weeks and have been told she may repeat the procedure again at that time. Have you learned anything since your last post?
Unread 02-06-2009, 03:26 PM

Hi,

I am only 4.5wks post op, and don't know if I have scar tissue or not.

But I have had vaginal surgery to remove granulomas due to a cerclage I had in place for a prior pregnancy.

My surgery was done in outpatient surgery under anesthesia. It was very quick, like 30miin or something. He cut through the vag. wall and removed/cauterized (burned) a bunch of granulomous tissue (this tissue has lots of blood vessels and tends to bleed a lot). He even put in a dissolvable stitch because there was a bleeder in there. He then stitched me up. I was under a light general anesthsia. I had some pain upon waking, but nothing terrible like the hyster.

I only took pain meds for a day and was fine. The procedure was really no big deal. I had other problems/pain that led to the hyster 1.5mos later that were unrealated to this.

BTW- you ladies that have the post-hyster vaginal cuff scar tissue, besides bleeding, are you having any other symptoms like pain? IF so, what is the pain like?

Thanks,

CC
Unread 02-07-2009, 06:06 AM

Hello!

I am also curious as to the symptoms of "scar tissue" if you don't mind sharing Please.
Unread 02-09-2009, 07:43 AM

Ladies-thank you for replying! I do have pain. I have gone to a physical therapist for women since about 2 months post op. She has been great but the pain continues and we believe that the pain is mostly from my tight muscles that need lots of work. Hence the physical therapy. I am continuing with the therapy but now my hormones are all out of wack and they are testing them and I am starting the bioidentical hormones. Anyway the pain continues and i've tried every narcotic under the sun with no relief. My ovaries were looked at by way of a vaginal ultrasound and they were found (barely) but found to be deeply embedded in scar tissue. This could be some of the pain but I know my vaginal muscles suffer greatly from the surgery-and the pain is just about the same as pre-op. I get depressed about all this as I decided to have the surgery in hopes that it would dissolve my pain completely. It hasn't and I know my muscles are the worse for it too. I am still working closely with my gyn and physical therapist and STRONGLY recommend that everyone having had a hysterectomy or even those contemplating it go to a physical therapist for women. Ask your doctor about one and they should know of someone. Good luck and I'll keep updating-if you will! Have a blessed day and remember-Embrace your pain-the only way out is through!
Unread 02-09-2009, 08:20 AM

Have they tried a muscle relaxant like Klonopin or other benzodiazapine? I read on this site, doing searches, of women who's pain has been helped by both pelvic floor physical therapy AND muscle relaxants.

Do they think it is internal scar tissue causing your pain (in the abdomen where the ovaries are) or do they think it is the cuff scar tissue causing your pain? If I may ask, what kind of pain were you having?

CC
Unread 02-09-2009, 10:42 PM

I started physical therapy before my hysterectomy in the hopes it would help my prolapsed uterus, bladder problems, and posterior hernia. For me, it served as a sort of "bandaid" but I ultimately needed to have repair work done with a hysterectomy, bladder sling, and removal of the hernia. Since surgery (9 weeks post-op now) I continue to experience pain and was told the last time I was cauterized that I should feel some relief here soon. I have yet to feel much relief and am concerned it will only continue.

I'm due back to the doctor in 2 weeks and she told me she may need to remove more scar tissue at that point and also mentioned if it continues, she will need to surgically remove it which is what you were told as well.

Please continue to keep us updated as I'm curious what your doctor and you decide here in the future. Keep up the positive thoughts!
Unread 02-10-2009, 06:23 AM

Thanks for the info! I continue to see the physical therapist and won't stop as i firmly believe it is the only reason that I have made some yet little progress! I am depressed that the hysterectomy did not serve the purpose i had for it. However the thought of surgery to remove the scar tissue only makes me think things will continue -as surgery causes scar tissue in most cases too. Therefore-I have tried just about every medicine out there and every narcotic-I would try anything now a days! But I don't want surgery if I can keep from it again. My physical therapist told me that surgery could cause more scar tissue and that is what I want to keep from happening. I would recommend you continue exercises and physical therapy if you can and try to get another opinion about surgically removing your scar tissue. Good Luck and Feel Good!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.