IV insertion | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-04-2009, 05:06 AM
IV insertion

I don't understand my veins, sometimes I'm told they are really good and other times I'm told they are bad. They always seem to ask me where my best vein is? Am I suppose to know these things? The last time the tech kept asking well is it your left or right hand or arm? Such pressure ah !
Drawing blood was a major problem after my lap in Nov. 3 different people trying to fill a few tubes. Very slow flow and then clogging. I have a platelet dysfunction so I do not understand.
I kept suggesting maybe if they gave me a drink my volume would increase and allow the blood draw.
I was told no, despite the fact I had not had a drink in 30 hours. What does everyone else think?

If given the choice what is the best location for the IV in everyones opinion

Have a great day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2009, 06:38 AM
IV insertion

I have a problem with fainting so they always use the vein at the crook of the elbow to reduce the chances of having to stick me more than once. I was told that is a big vein and very hard to 'miss'. Never had a problem when they use that site. Good luck ladies!
Unread 01-04-2009, 06:42 AM
IV insertion

I just had my surgery on the 12/31. I also got sick afterwards. But it was 6pm and i was fine a noon the same day. I was sipping on ginerale most of the day cause I was parched,. SO my advice is to let them all know two things you get sick and you are a hard stick. Drink lots before the surgery but wait at least 6-8 hours postoperatively. You are getting an IV so yo wo't be dehydrated. Just munch on some ice chips savor them don't eat them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2009, 07:05 AM
IV insertion

Hope09,

My veins can be better or worse depending on whether I have been hydrating myself well. The reason why they ask you about your veins is that there may be cirumstances where you would know more about your own veins. I give blood regularly so I know from experience that (fortunately for me), I have good veins in both arms.

I think the reason why you could not have fluid just before surgery is the risk that you might asprite the fluid in your lungs and possibly end up with pneumonia. If we have enough time to prepare and can drink lots of water beforehand, that helps the most.

I am so used to having blood drawn at my elbow for blood donations that I haven't really thought about whether hand or arm is best. It sounds as if other hystersisters recommend the arm. It certainly is more convenient!
Unread 01-04-2009, 09:53 AM
IV insertion

Quote:
Originally Posted by hope09
I don't understand my veins, sometimes I'm told they are really good and other times I'm told they are bad. They always seem to ask me where my best vein is? Am I suppose to know these things? The last time the tech kept asking well is it your left or right hand or arm? Such pressure ah !
Drawing blood was a major problem after my lap in Nov. 3 different people trying to fill a few tubes. Very slow flow and then clogging. I have a platelet dysfunction so I do not understand.
I kept suggesting maybe if they gave me a drink my volume would increase and allow the blood draw.
I was told no, despite the fact I had not had a drink in 30 hours. What does everyone else think?

If given the choice what is the best location for the IV in everyones opinion

Have a great day
I have donated blood before and if you haven't drank enough before going in they can't get enough to donate and I am pretty sure the same is true for basic blood draws.

As for my preferred IV location, that would be the back of my hand. That is where I have the least issue (once they get it in of course).
Unread 01-04-2009, 10:28 AM
IV insertion

The forearm seems to be the best place for a long term IV. You can use your hand and it doesn't hurt too much. Top of the hand is ok but it does get in the way. Inside of the elbow is the easier place to get an IV, but it means that you have to keep your arm straight all the time. This site is used in emergencies.

I had 2 IV's because they needed a separate line for the transfusion. They both came out the day after surgery. The one in the hand was the first one that I asked to have removed because it hurt a lot and it was starting to swell up my hand, probably blown vein. The second one was up on my arm. It came out about 1/2 hour later because I was developing a rash underneath the tape. I did understand that if I had them both out that if I needed more blood that they would have to insert another one.

If I have a choice, I always have them use my left arm. Not because it is easier for them to find a vein, but because it it easier for me to manage if there is nothing in my right arm.
Unread 01-04-2009, 10:53 AM
IV insertion

Thanks everyone for the replies and suggestion I have my bottles of fluid all lined up in the refrigerator to be drank by midnight. I hope tomorrow is a good vein day

The problematic blood draw was the morning after my lap. I was in the ER from early am the day before and NPO from the time I arrived. That is why I asked if I could have a drink. The IV they had was dripping very slowly and I was wrinkly, I think I was a bit dehydrated. I was finally given a drink about 10 hours after surgery. I do not know what the delay was. Maybe because I was brought back to my room at night.

Have a great day
Unread 01-04-2009, 12:33 PM
IV insertion

I don't have a problem with IV starts, but I get TERRIBLY sick after anesthesia!! I can't stop ing!! After the sugery for my ruptured ectopic, I ed every day and have an extremely hard time passing ! Needless to say, I was one sick !

I was still sick after I was discharged. Several days post-op, I was on the phone talking to my Doctor's to get something for the nausea and vomiting. I was so sick and it hurt so bad to vomit, I was in ! I had to be given Phenergan suppositories! Thank God my husband loves me! (Those really aren't the most romantic moments of our lives, lol)!!

This time I am going demand that I be given Zofran, Reglan, Phenergan, or a combination of these before, during and then as a SCHEDULED medication after my surgery. I refuse to be so sick this time. (This is my fourth surgery requiring a general anesthetic, and I have horribly sick every single time).
Unread 01-04-2009, 07:09 PM
IV insertion

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokuspocus
I get super sick with anesthesia I think phenegren works the best for me! I also had the patch behind my ear BUT beware if you rub that then rub your eye your pupil will dilate, I did this the one time I had the patch and I couldn't see strait for 2 days!

I'm also hard stick..the first nurse who put my IV in missed the vein and I told her that it wasn't in. She told me that it was and that it would hurt a little...ok I've had at least 6 of these in the last 3 years I know when it is in and what it feels like. She then turned the fluids on and walked away...well needless to say my hand started to swell so I turned them off. When the anestesiaologist (sp?) came in he asked me all the normal questions and he said "Ok we will knock you out in a few minutes" I told him he wasn't going to be able to with the cathater I had in now!!! He was shocked and had a good nurse come and put in a catherther(sp?)

I would definately drink alot of water!!!
Good Luck!
This reminds me of my last surgery in Sept (gall Bladder surgery). When the nurse came in to put the iv in my left hand, I felt this literal nerve pain shoot up into my thumb! Took months to go away. She simply said, well Iknow I didn't hit anything as there is nothing there to hit... OMGosh, then what in the world was THAT? A nerve maybe? So she moved on. Well she had to have been new or the worst one there, once in the prep area, they noticed something wrong with the IV drip. The nurse numbed another area, and stuck the IV right in. Upon removal of the older one, the plastic tubing was curved in a "c". Anyone else ever hear of this? Makes me real nervous getting poked and as I am already a hard stick, even more so now!

With my surgery being less than 24 days away, I have too much time to think! I am going to make myself a nervous wreck!

my-familiar1
Unread 01-04-2009, 08:10 PM
IV insertion

When the nurse came in to insert my IV, I asked her if she was gentle and said that I really hated needles. She was good, but when I had to have some blood drawn for the blood bank, they intentionally sent their best guy to do it. So maybe if you just say that you have a hard time with the experience, they might send someone who's a bit more patient and does a good job for you.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register