HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues > Mesh Erosion Support

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Bladder Sling Mesh Erosion Bladder Sling Mesh Erosion

Unread 01-24-2009, 01:26 AM
Bladder Sling Mesh Erosion

Most Will Not Know What I Have Been Thru With My Bladder Surgeries. Approx. 12 Years Ago I Had A Surgery Which Entailed Attaching The Bladder I Am Assuming To My Stomach Muscles. Then In 2004 I Had A Hysterectomy And Mesh Bladder Sling Done. Two Months Later The Sling Started Eroding Thru My Vaginal Wall, Causing Constant Bleeding And Infection. After Several Visits Of Cutting Away Parts Of The Sling That Were Coming Thru The "wall" And Silver Nitrate To "seal" The Wound The Dr. Went In And Removed That Sling (so I Was Told) And Put In Another Mesh Sling. After That Surgery I Got A Huge Infection At The Incision Site (leg Joint) And Ended Up In The Hospital For Surgery To Drain The Poison From My Body. I Stayed 5 Days And Was On Four Different Antibiotics. After That, I Was Done With This Surgery. But Two Years Later And With A Different Dr., I Had It Done Again, This Time Using Bovine Skin. She Removed What She Could Of The Old Sling, But A Few Months Later A Three Inch Piece Of Mesh Sling Came Out. As Far As We Can Tell, It Was The Original Sling From My First Surgery.
The Bovine Didn't Do The Trick Either. I Still Have Leakage And Wear Pads All The Time.
Unread 01-24-2009, 09:23 AM

SUBUFF,

What else follows but OMG ?? Anyway, I agree the Botox was painful in the arch of my foot, so I am assuming that an injection in the vaginal area would be probably worse.

Do you remember what kind of mesh was used in your procedure originally, and was it TOT only or other repairs too ?? I am wondering, because my regular OB/GYN said the smaller pieces are not as problematic. My URO/GYN will start the testing next week to figure out what is wrong with my TVT (done Aug of 08). He said if we need to remove it, the procedure could be done in his office. Would you happen to know if the recency of my, implantantion if you will, has any bearing on the complexity of the removal ?

Thanks to all...
Unread 01-24-2009, 10:39 AM

Just a note about sling removal...

Having personal experience in sling removal (3 removal surgeries) and having researched it for many, many hours on beaucoup websites AND having spoken with 2 expert removal UroGYN's myself before my final removal surgery--I can say that what I've learned is that the sooner and more completely you have it removed, the better off you are. The longer the sling material is left inside you, the more chance it has to intermesh or grow into your own body tissues (which is what it is designed to do in the first place). It is wisest to seek out a doctor who has experience in sling removal.

From my own experience, I've found that UroGYN's who seem to be the most experienced at putting in the slings, are also likely to be the ones with the most experience at removing them. Some urologists specializing in women's incontinence issues may also have this experience. Major medical clinics and teaching hospitals are good sources to look to when trying to find doctors with this kind of experience.

Unread 01-24-2009, 11:26 AM

One quick question with that advice in mind. If the mesh is not the problem, a nicked bladder for instance. They probably will not want to remove mesh. If the problem indeed lies elsewhere and the problem is repaired, what are you more experienced ladies' opinion about pushing for mesh removal ? Also what if the HMO won't cover it ?

Just trying to get my game plan ready to discuss with the doctor after he has test results...

Thanks
Unread 01-24-2009, 01:15 PM

I Dont Know What Kind Of Mesh Was Used. I Do Know It Was Brand New On The Market In Jan 2004 When I Had It Placed. And I Know When I Had It Removed Two Years Later My Urogyn Said They Were Talking About Taking It Off Market Cuz There Were So Many Problems. I Cant Believe It Is Still Being Used. She Said The Stiffness Of Mesh And Holes Where Infection Could Get Trapped Were Some Of The Main Concerns.
I Would Have To Agree, The Sooner The Better For Removal. Although They Thought They Had Removed All Of My Sling, My Body Wouldnt Allow Any Of It To Remain, So It Made Its Own Exit And Pushed It Out...
Susan
Unread 05-28-2009, 06:51 PM
Re: Bladder Sling Mesh Erosion

I had the TOT sling procedure done with my hyster 2 months ago and the mesh has already eroded through my vaginal wall. I have to wait 2 weeks and then my doctor will schedule a second surgery to put it back in. He doesn't want to have to do the entire surgery over. He is going to clean the existing mesh that is showing and put it back inside of me. He said I will have to be on antibiotics for about a month. I hope this will be the last of it.
Unread 08-30-2014, 08:06 PM
Re: Bladder Sling Mesh Erosion

It's been a long time since I have posted here. I can't believe only 3people have had trouble with the mesh sling.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.