HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Da Vinci Method: Still bleeding/spotting 5 weeks after Da Vinci Method: Still bleeding/spotting 5 weeks after

Unread 01-25-2009, 06:48 PM
Da Vinci Method: Still bleeding/spotting 5 weeks after

Hello fellow hysterectomees (??):

I had my uterus and cervix removed by the Da Vinci method on 12/22/08. Since then, I've had to have my inner incision cauterized twice and haven't been able to return to normal activity since. I am also experiencing some discharge, light bleeding, and a bit of inconstinence which is accompanied by some strange odor. Has anyone else had this type of hysterectomy done? Please give me a feedback as well as some advice. Also, how long did you wait before having a normal sexual life? Thanks for any input!
Unread 01-25-2009, 06:57 PM

Hello, this is very ironic because I was coming on to post a very similar question. I had my uterus and cervix removed by Da Vinci method on 12-23-08, I started having intermittent bleeding since last week. It isn't enough that I need to wear a pad and I assumed it was a stitch that was dissolving and healing and as long as the bleeding did not become more pronounced I was o.k. My bleeding happens for a day and then goes away for a day, and I was curious if anyone experienced this and for how long? I haven't had an internal examine yet not until 6 weeks, so it is troublesome to know what is happening internally. I haven't had the incontinence or odor but could you possible have a UTI or other infection? I hope my similar situation gives you some relief and please let me know what you hear.
Unread 01-25-2009, 07:05 PM

I don't think it's a stitch in your case. In fact, my stiches were still there when my doctor looked at me last week. You may want to have your doctor check you out before your 6 week check up (mine's next week). Since my surgery, she's seen me twice...both times having to cauterize the incision which your doctor may want to do as well. I don't think I have an infection or a UTI since I've had them before and know the symptoms. I do appreciate your feedback and it does make me feel a bit relieved knowing that I'm not alone! Please keep me posted on your situation and definitely make an appt to see your doctor before your 6 week check up if the bleeding is more than just "spotting".
Unread 01-25-2009, 07:54 PM

I had my daVinci surgery Dec. 31, with my uterus and cervix removed, and also had my gallbladder removed the same day. My doctor told me to expect discharge for about 6 weeks. I called the dr's office to report the bad odor. My exam was scheduled for 2 1/2 weeks post op. The phys. asst. examined me, did a pelvic exam, ans said things looked "normal". They told me they didn't need to see me again. I guess I'll have to go back to my regular gyno if I have any other problems. A week ago, I started to feel searing pain internally, several inches below my bellybutton. It feels like some of the stitches are ripping. It makes it difficult to get out of bed or bend over to pick something up. I have to have a bunch of pillows propped up behind me to sleep in an almost sitting position. I'm taking 2 Advils every 3-4 hours, and it barely helps the pain. I'm scheduled to go back to work on Feb 3. Most doctors don't recommend resuming sexual activity for at least 6 weeks, which is a non-issue for me since I'm not married and don't have a boyfriend.
Unread 03-17-2009, 10:22 AM

Hello ladies. I am 2 weeks post op after a robot-assisted laparascopic hysterectomy. I started spotting on day 10 but it is heavier now. I have a doctor's appt. @ 2 pm today. Please reply with what happened and I will do the same. I haven't had a chance to enjoy my hysterectomy and I am bleeding AGAIN. I was hoping this was done and over with.
Failed endometrial ablation 7/99
Laparascopy 8/90, 1/91 and 8/95
D&C 11/90
Partial tubal ligation 5/97
RALH with BSO 3/2/09
Unread 03-17-2009, 10:51 AM

Chicago, I had the same thing as you, only I kept one ovary. My dr told me around 2 wks or so, the bleeding may pick up, as the stitches are healing and dissolving. Sure enough it did. I had practically no bleeding at all then started to spot fairly heavy and just today is my first day of not wearing anything at all in my panties. I hope this is just the case with you.
Unread 03-17-2009, 07:00 PM

I guess I would be a text book case because I had no bleeding at all, no pain and I was up and about immediately. I only had to take meds the first 4-5 days. However several months down the line I have developed urinary tract infections twice and I have had yeast 3 times. so It just depends on the individual i would say.
Unread 03-17-2009, 07:18 PM

I'm so glad I came on here and saw this I was going to post about similar problem. I am 5 weeks post op tomorrow and I haven't had any spotting in about a week or so. Now suddenly today I started spotting red, looked to be a little clot in there. I called dr he said stitches dissolve and absorb and probably not a stitch. He said if it doesn't slow down to come in and he'll take a look tomorrow. Sort of crampy too, weird since no uterus in there. He also said can be normal to have spotting if my activity increased which it has the last couple of days. I just am so tired of the spotting, I want it done already. that and the worrying hmmmph
Unread 03-18-2009, 06:39 PM
My Update

I had my 2-week post-op appt. yesterday. My doctor said my spotting/bleeding was more than likely my normal cycle that was "still in the vault" when I had my surgery. She said this should be the last one and she went ahead and did a pelvic exam. Since I had a RALH with BSO, I have no ovaries, tubes or uterus; anyway, she said my stitches are still tight and my stomach sutures are healing nicely. If my bleeding gets heavier or darker in color (still pink) I need to call her. I do hope this is my last period, though. I had one every 23-25 days pre-surgery and was on day 14 on my surgery date. Thanks for all of the support ladies. My doc says I am on my way to being fully released on 4/14 (my 6-weeks and my DH's bday!!!!)

I will keep you all updated and I wish everyone well and thanks again for the sisterhood on this website and support.
Unread 03-18-2009, 09:18 PM

I too was going to write a similar post. I had LAVH via DaVinci on 2/20/09. I had almost no bleeding or discharge until about day 5. Then it just continued to get worse. I saw doc for 2 week check-up and he said I had a vaginal cuff infection and started me on antibiotics. About 3 days ago the bleeding/discharge started to slow down and then got to the point where I really only saw it when I wiped and it was pinkish. Today it has been a greater quantity and is redder again. I'm also having more pain. I was a LITTLE more active today but, I did not think that by this point I would not be able to do anything without having bleeding/pain. I am so tired of wearing pads! I'm tired of the pain also but, mainly, I guess I'm just worried that something may be wrong. I go to the doctor again in 5 days so I'll see what he says then but, in the meantime, I will keep checking here in case anyone has any insight.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.