HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Chronic Pain after Bladder Sling & Rectocele Repair Chronic Pain after Bladder Sling & Rectocele Repair

Unread 01-26-2009, 10:05 AM
Chronic Pain after Bladder Sling & Rectocele Repair

4 months ago I had a bladder sling and rectocele repair (both vaginal procedures). Didn't have too much discomfort afterwards and I was able to resume normal bathroom routines. (didn't have to pee repeatedly or use digitation to excrete).

From the first, I had a pulling sensation. The surgeon said, "nothing to do with the surgery." I heard that phrase too many times from him. I followed post-op directions but when I did too much activity I would find myself taking very tiny steps when walking. My body was clearly telling me to take it easy and I did and reported it to the surgeon.

As I did more, I got rising pains (up to belly button) that would knock the breath right out of me. These would occur in standing or walking). The surgeon found a stitch had worked its way through and removed that. I began to get severe back pain L4&5. I also have a constant burning sensation around the labia.

The pain is now chronic. I can't stand or sit long. I will not see that surgeon again. He ignored me and when I last saw him I was tears from the pain. He told me to go to the pain clinic!

Another Gyn (his boss, actually) said it was clear I was having problems from the surgery and felt it might be the prolene sutures used in the rectocele repair.

I am depressed from the pain. Has anyone had these types of outcomes? Did you get relief, good solutions? Anything to be wary of?

I had a total Hysterectomy (abdominal) 12 years ago after 2 kids (vaginal, c-section) and a long history of endo.

Thanks
Unread 01-29-2009, 12:11 PM

rw--

I am sorry you've been suffering so much. Have you gotten a new doctor then? Or are you going to the GYN who is the boss of your old doctor? It seems to me that would be the first thing to do. You do know you can get your medical records from both your doctor and the hospital, right? The hospital is very easy to get records from--just go and ask for them and show your ID. I do it for every procedure I ever have. For your doctor, you just have to do the same thing. Go, sign a form, and get the records there or have them sent to you (or the new doctor).

If it's the bladder sling that you are reacting to, they can be removed. If it's nerve damage, it may be able to be treated. You do truly need to see a doctor because no one here can diagnose or recommend a treatment, as I'm sure you know.

Please let us know how things go for you. I am sending you MAJOR and extra good vibes..........
Unread 01-29-2009, 12:16 PM

Thanks Deb. The surgeon's boss saw me and was quite sympathetic. He concurred that my still undefined problem resulted from the surgery. I see a senior Urologist on Monday. I have complained about the surgeon and a customer care rep is obtaining the earliest possible appointments. I told her I was worried that this doctor may have harmed other women by his refusal to listen.
Unread 03-01-2009, 01:28 AM
Chronic Nerve Pain After Rectocele Repair and Bladder Sling

I had my transvaginal surgery in November 2008. I have the exact same symptoms you are having. I stopped going to the Urogyn. that did the surgery after the first follow-up. I did not trust him anymore. I have since been to a colorectal surgeon who is going to do another surgery to repair the rectocele repair, that's right, I still have he rectocele. I am also seeing another urogyn. and will go through the same urodynamics testing to see if the sling actually is doing any good. I have so much pain, that I can't tell exactly where it is all coming from. I was also diagnosed with mild pelvic floor prolapse and may need a laporoscopic procedure for exploratory reasons as well. I may see one more urogyn. (a female), just to feel better emotionally. You are right, you get depressed from having the pain all the time, however, I get the impression that the male doctors see it as the other way around. Depression causing the pain. I went down that road with a male doctor 20 years ago just before I was diagnosed with severe endometriosis and passing grapefruit size bloodclots. Very frustrating. Please keep me posted.
Unread 03-01-2009, 10:59 PM

I have been seeing a pelvic floor physical therapist and I can now sit down for awhile. She has not provided an assessment yet although she is planning on seeing me for several months at least. The pudendal nerve is definitely involved. This lady is very knowledgeable and I would encourage others to see pelvic floor physical therapists.

This Thursday I see a urogynocologist for a second opinion on this whole mess. I will start with the pain clinic after that. I really want answers and a plan of action.

I had the hospital give me the records of each appointment and procedure. The surgeon saw me in early January and gave me premarin cream and told me to see my neurologist. His notes show that he thought a CAT scan might be appropriate in a couple of months although he didn't expect to find anything. PT might also be an option in a few months. I can't believe the jerk was willing to leave me in pain for a few more months!

Get your medical records ladies!
Unread 03-02-2009, 06:36 AM

rapierwit--

I am glad you are now getting help from the pelvic floor physical therapist. I wonder if the surgeon didn't want to send you for a CT scan because he just didn't think it would help? I've had scans that didn't show anything and it's so frustrating. It does cost $ and it makes me feel like I'm wasting time and resources and I don't know what. [I feel like I'm currently in another one of those situations with abdominal pain that just can't be pinpointed to any particular source--sigh.]

I don't think pudendal nerve pain shows up on a CT scan. It's just one of those things that seems to be diagnosed when everything else is ruled out. Perhaps that is why the surgeon sent you to the neurologist? I'm just totally guessing, of course, and just trying to give the benefit of the doubt to the surgeon who may be as puzzled as you are.

Medicine is so often as much of an 'art' as it is a 'science'. [I need to remind myself of that.] I'm a tad frustrated because I do dislike undergoing tests that just seem to show nothing Today I have an endoscopy and I'm truly going to guess that it will show nothing like every other test I've had . So, I'm really in sympathy with my Hyster Sisters who keep going through test after test and who have pain.
Extra to both of you.
I hope they find the source of your pain and that you are healed soon and quickly.........

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.