HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

"tenting" of the vaginal cuff "tenting" of the vaginal cuff

Unread 01-26-2009, 08:29 PM
"tenting" of the vaginal cuff

Just returned from seeing the doctor. I'm 6 weeks post op, and still having discomfort that cannot be ignored. Sitting for more than a couple hours becomes too painful to continue.
The doctor reported that the vagina is "tenting," that is. it has a sort of "dent" at the top (vaginal cuff). She can feel that the straps that support the mesh are tight and pulling (doing their job), but because of the "tenting" in the vagina, the stress between the pull of the straps, and the tenting of the vagina are causing considerable pain.

She thought the "tenting" could be a hematoma that formed at the top of the vagina, or it could be the weight of intentines, etc. that simply have "settled" into that area over years, prior to surgery, and are now bearing down on the mesh, and in turn, on the vagina.

Anyone ever experience this? Help!
writinggal
Unread 01-29-2009, 12:20 PM

writinggal--

I have not heard of the 'tenting' thing. I am really sorry that you are still having the awful pain. What does your doctor propose to do about it? Does she think that the tightness of the sling could be contributing too much tension? It sounds truly miserable. After my hematoma resolved, I just stopped bleeding.

I had mesh erosion but it wasn't at the top of the vagina. I don't think tension had anything to do with it. I do think that the mesh underlying did contribute to the pain I had, however. My erosion didn't cause pain at first, it wasn't until later when I was able to try resuming intercourse that it caused me that kind of problem.

I hope you find a resolution. If it were me, I'd ask my doctor if she recommends that anything could be done about the sling or not? I'd also let her know just how much pain I was in. Sometimes, I think we (I know I often did and sometimes will still do so) tend to minimalize our pain because we don't want to 'be a complainer' to our health care providers.

Unread 01-29-2009, 02:07 PM

OrahDeb,
Thank you for writing. I saw the doctor yesterday. She thinks that the hematoma is the cause of my problems. The mesh arm (that runs down from the mesh sling), goes down to the buttock, and attaches to the bone, and then runs through the ligament. The remainder of the mesh arm should just hang loose. However, my hematoma formed around the loose end, and pulled it downward, creating tension. This, in turn, cut through the ligament, and allowed the mesh arm to rest against a nerve (prudental nerve?). I guess that nerve runs up along the side of the vagina, and will cause me pain for several weeks until the inflamation settles down.
Thanks again for writing,
writinggal
Unread 01-29-2009, 02:49 PM

Ouch! I hope the pain and inflammation resolve soon. Extra good vibes being sent to you.........

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.