HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Uncertain if I should have my ovaries removed along with hysterectomy Uncertain if I should have my ovaries removed along with hysterectomy

Unread 01-27-2009, 01:55 PM
Uncertain if I should have my ovaries removed along with hysterectomy

Hi, I am scheduled to have a hysterectomy on Feb. 10th. I am still uncertain if I should have ovaries removed along with my uterus. I'm kinda worried about the ovarian cancer thing as I have had alot of x-rays throughout my life. Any advise would sure be welcomed. And also is it a good thing to start on Estrogen right away??
Unread 01-27-2009, 02:06 PM

if you have your ovaries removed, you will go into surgical menopause. your ovaries provide your body with hormones that affect so many functions..please do lots of research on removing them. if theyre healthy and you decide to keep them, you will most likely go into menopause naturally. i kept my ovaries and cervix because they were both healthy. if you decide to have them removed, have a good hormone replacement plan before your surgery. good luck with your decision!
Unread 01-27-2009, 02:19 PM

Hi Poochie48,

If your ovaries are healthy and ovarian cancer does not run in your family....you might consider keeping your ovaries. As Dressedupinblue mentioned, there can be some health benefits to keeping healthy ovaries. Also, in pre-op...my Dr. told me that 5% or less of women get ovarian cancer. That was good odds for me. I was not prepared to remove my healthy ovaries to prevent something that might never happen.

In the end..just do what is *best* for you. That is what is most important.

Best wishes~

Mary
Unread 01-27-2009, 02:58 PM

Ditto what Mary said. and make the decision for you. I had my surgery in Oct 2008. I had an elevated CA125 blood test. I had a complete hysterectomy after doing the research. I had some women who actually got upset when I told them I had a complete hysterectomy. Trying to tell me it wasn't necessary. Once I told them about the elevated numbers, and my family history, they understood. I'm doing well, aside from the hot flashes and night sweats. Which at times can be brutal. But a cold wash cloth or just waiting a few minutes they subside. Knowing that cervical and ovarian cancers and sneak up on you and with my family History of Breast Cancer, and my age, I decided that a complete hysterectomy was my best path to go. So far so good. I really do feel much better these days.
Unread 01-27-2009, 06:08 PM

I agree with the others who have replied to your question about keeping your ovaries if they are healthy. My GYN told me the same thing about ovarian cancer - less than 5% of women get it -so you have more than a 95% chance that you will NOT get ovarian cancer! It seems unnecessary to put yourself through surgical menopause for something that MIGHT happen, but most likely will not.

Your ovaries will continue to emit trace hormones even after natural menopause. These hormones are important to your health. HRT is not a very good replacement for the real thing and it is frought with many problems as testified by all of the threads you will read here. Many women and their doctors never seem to get it right. It carries with it many other health risks, as well - particularly stroke and blood clots, which increase with age.

Before you make your decision, you must consider if the risk of keeping them outweighs the problems you will have if you don't. In my case, it was a no-brainer. Mine were completely healthy and I am sooooo very glad they are still with me and doing their job efficiently!
Unread 01-27-2009, 11:04 PM

I would think it depends mostly on your age. How many years (approximately) does your doc. think your ovaries have left? I had about 10, so I kept mine.

Kara
Unread 01-28-2009, 08:43 PM

I had my ovaries removed (complete hysterectomy) because of my age. You should discuss this topic with your doctor before surgery. It is a decision that should take into consideration your age, family history of cancer, etc. If you disagree with your doctor's recommendations, then you should seek a second opinion. As for hormone replacement, that is also something that you need to discuss with your doctor.
Take care.
Unread 01-30-2009, 05:20 PM
thanks

thanks to all of you who responded to my question. i'm pretty sure that i will keep my ovaries, taking hrt kind of scares me. poochie48
Unread 01-30-2009, 07:31 PM

I would like to add that you should do some research about HRT even if you plan on keeping your ovaries. I was supposed to keep my left ovary, but when they opened me up they found everything cemented together. As they tried to save my ovary, I started to bleed so everything was taken out. I woke up with no ovaries. I wasn't expecting to lose it and was not prepared for the possibility. I was put on HRT on the same day. I got really lucky that the dose that I was put on was the right dose, but I was stinking mad that I no longer had any ovaries.

So do the research on non-scary sites and get a good idea of what it is all about before surgery. Even if you plan on keeping them.
Unread 02-01-2009, 10:48 PM

Agree w/History Lady. Also, you can always remove them later - laproscopically - if needed.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.