HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

symptoms after IUD insertion symptoms after IUD insertion

Unread 01-06-2009, 07:50 PM
symptoms after IUD insertion

I'm in TX & just had the Mirena inserted a week ago, it's not pain but I have discomfort. Like there's something where it shouldn't be. I'm 36 and have 5 fibroids, the largest the size of a tangerine. I really have no idea how large or what type of fibroids I have. I only was diagnosed Thanksgiving week 08' and at that time, HYSTERECTOMY is what my family doctor said then sent me to another. She felt I could probably be a candidate for an ablation but referred me to what she called her personal Gyn, so he suggested the Mirena.

My gyno wanted to try less invasive before going ablation or hyster. My tummy is funky too! Are you supposed to have a wierd feeling all the time? I called the Dr. and was told you'll be crampy & spotty for 3 or 4 days. Well it's only been 8 days but now what?

All of the info is a bit overwhelming and the fact that I have no insurance is a little scary.
Unread 01-28-2009, 09:11 AM

Hi,
I feel you, My DR told me that the fibroids were 21 + weeks and my only option at this time was a Hysterectomy, from the research I done on this site all findings lead to the big H.
Unread 01-28-2009, 11:40 AM

Are you feeling better these days? I hope so!

I do think it is wise that your GYN is helping you with some less invasive treatment options before jumping into surgery, especially a hysterectomy. A hysterectomy is a major, irreversible surgery that is not without risks!

We do have several Fibroid Resources here on the site you may want to read through to learn as much as you can about fibroids and the various treatment options available.

I hope you are feeling better! Take care!
Unread 01-28-2009, 07:21 PM

txgurly,
I have to tell you my story on the Merina. Four months ago I had the Merina put in. Immediately my body knew something was there. There was this constant, dull, achy cramp in my lower abdomen CONSTANTLY. It wasnt painful, just annoying. Sorry for TMI here, but when I would use the bathroom I could always feel 'something' , hmmmm not really feel, gosh how do i explain it, just an achy dull cramp all the time. Another thing that happened to me was since the day he put it in I bled every two weeks, then not bleed for a week, then bleed again for two weeks. This lasted four months. During this time my moods started changing DRASTICLLY! My husband and I hardly ever fight, but after I had the Merina put in, the slightest thing would set me off and he and I would get into shouting matches over stupid things. The day I decided I had had enough of the IUD was when my husband and I started yelling at each other in front of my son. That was the day I decided this thing is coming out and I made an appointment for as soon as possible. I had the Merina for four months. When he took it out, I immediately felt different with the dull cramps. Before I left his office I didnt feel any more cramping. (The removal didnt hurt by the way) As for my mood swings they started decreasing as the days went by and now I am feeling better and my husband and I are not fighting anymore. Also, with the IUD I felt tired constantly. I could fall asleep in no time flat, which was unlike me.
My sister has had her IUD now for 2 1/2 years and is now starting to feel symptoms. She called me the other day and told me how she was getting angry at the slightest little thing and I told her it was her Merina and told her to research side effects of it online. She read the forums and said 'thats exactly how i am feeling'. She has made an appointment to have hers removed in a few weeks.
I know all women are different in how they react with different medicnes and you might be different. I just wanted to share my experience with the Merina. Sorry to be so long winded on this subject. I am one day post ablation (Novasure) now. If this doesnt help my bleeding' he said we would talk about other options later.
Wendy
Unread 01-31-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgurly
I'm in TX & just had the Mirena inserted a week ago, it's not pain but I have discomfort. Like there's something where it shouldn't be. I'm 36 and have 5 fibroids, the largest the size of a tangerine. I really have no idea how large or what type of fibroids I have. I only was diagnosed Thanksgiving week 08' and at that time, HYSTERECTOMY is what my family doctor said then sent me to another. She felt I could probably be a candidate for an ablation but referred me to what she called her personal Gyn, so he suggested the Mirena.

My gyno wanted to try less invasive before going ablation or hyster. My tummy is funky too! Are you supposed to have a wierd feeling all the time? I called the Dr. and was told you'll be crampy & spotty for 3 or 4 days. Well it's only been 8 days but now what?

All of the info is a bit overwhelming and the fact that I have no insurance is a little scary.
Hi txgurly,
I hope you are feeling better too. I have fibroids about the same size as yours (one tangerine, one golf ball, one big grape and lots of little ones). I've had a Mirena for a little over four years now. It may be that the inside of your uterus is odd-shaped because of the fibroids. I went back and read my posts from right after I got mine and I too could feel "something" after insertion, but I don't think it was noticeable a week later. If your tummy is still funky, maybe it's time to check back with the doctor.
Unread 01-31-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandwendy05
txgurly,
I have to tell you my story on the Merina. Four months ago I had the Merina put in. Immediately my body knew something was there. There was this constant, dull, achy cramp in my lower abdomen CONSTANTLY. It wasnt painful, just annoying. Sorry for TMI here, but when I would use the bathroom I could always feel 'something' , hmmmm not really feel, gosh how do i explain it, just an achy dull cramp all the time. Another thing that happened to me was since the day he put it in I bled every two weeks, then not bleed for a week, then bleed again for two weeks. This lasted four months. During this time my moods started changing DRASTICLLY! My husband and I hardly ever fight, but after I had the Merina put in, the slightest thing would set me off and he and I would get into shouting matches over stupid things. The day I decided I had had enough of the IUD was when my husband and I started yelling at each other in front of my son. That was the day I decided this thing is coming out and I made an appointment for as soon as possible. I had the Merina for four months. When he took it out, I immediately felt different with the dull cramps. Before I left his office I didnt feel any more cramping. (The removal didnt hurt by the way) As for my mood swings they started decreasing as the days went by and now I am feeling better and my husband and I are not fighting anymore. Also, with the IUD I felt tired constantly. I could fall asleep in no time flat, which was unlike me.
My sister has had her IUD now for 2 1/2 years and is now starting to feel symptoms. She called me the other day and told me how she was getting angry at the slightest little thing and I told her it was her Merina and told her to research side effects of it online. She read the forums and said 'thats exactly how i am feeling'. She has made an appointment to have hers removed in a few weeks.
I know all women are different in how they react with different medicnes and you might be different. I just wanted to share my experience with the Merina. Sorry to be so long winded on this subject. I am one day post ablation (Novasure) now. If this doesnt help my bleeding' he said we would talk about other options later.
Wendy
Wow, tomandwendy05, you are so right that we are all different. I have had my Mirena for over 4 years and didn't have the mood swings and stuff you suffered from, or the extended time of cramping and spotting after insertion that txgurly did. Even though it took a long time to take full effect (I think mostly because I was taking BCP at the same time when I first had it and even after I stopped it took a long time to get them completely out of my system) it has really decreased the bleeding, in fact it got rid of my period altogether for several months. It appears to be wearing off a little early but my gyn is willing to replace it before the five years are up. I did get all weepy from the first kind of oral contraceptives I tried.

Hope that the ablation is working well for you. I decided not to go that route even if the Mirena hadn't worked, but for some people it's a real solution.
Unread 02-02-2009, 06:01 AM

I had the Mirena for 6 months to try and control my bleeding. It did get rid of the gushing blood and painful clots that came with it...but I never totally stopped bleeding. At the time we didn't know I had 4 large tumors and I had 3 ultra-sounds done. The Mirena did control my bleeding to were I was able to get my body built back up for surgery. My doctor didn't think the ablation would work for me because the Mirena didn't work. Ofcoarse, after surgery that is when we found out I had those tumors. I was glad I didn't go ahead and have the ablation...I would have just had to have another surgery.

I didn't have any of the symptoms that you are having.
Unread 02-02-2009, 09:23 AM

Hi,

I know this is a little late but I have had my Mirena for over 6 months and never had any symptoms like that. I got mine for pelvic congestion, and I don't have any fibroids, so it might be the fibroids? I hope you can get it figured out, I really like mine!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.