HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

ablation complications ablation complications

Unread 01-28-2009, 04:37 PM
Ablation Complications

As you can see I am new here. I am looking for some feedback regarding complications from an ablation procedure. Here's the back story.
Summer of 08': saw my reg. gyno, he recommended ablation for irregular, heavier, more painful periods. I researched quite a bit and wanted a second opinion so I had a consult with another gyno in another town. He agreed that I was a good candidate. I asked pretty specific questions about the procedure and how many each doc had done. My reg gyno does them outpaitient at the local hospital while the other doc just begun to offer in office ablation. I am self pay-no ins. so I chose to go with the out of town gyno. I liked him and the cost was alot less than a hospital surgery.
Dec 08': went in for the procedure. they verified who I was and why I was there. gave me a shot of torodol. Finally took me to the procedure room. The overall procedure went well. No big pain or problems. They were a little unorganized and there were more people in the room than I cared for. Like I said they had just begun to do this in office.
Took motrin for a couple of days. No sex, no hot tub. I was very careful. Did have some cramping and bloating, but figured it was normal. Went back for my 2 week check up. Dr. asked me how I was feeling. I told him about I was still cramping and he didn't seem worried. He talked to me for less than 2 min and said I was good to go. I should mention that I made my 2 week check-up appt the day I had the procedure done and when I checked in they didn't have me scheduled so they worked me in.
So fast forward to a week later- 3 weeks post procedure
I was having severe abdominal pain. Ended up going for a cat scan and had blood drawn. I had a mild UTI and ruptured cyst, & my uterus was swollen. There was quite a bit of free fuild in my abdomen. Started on Cipro. After 3 days the pain was getting worse. Went for an ultrasound (pelvic & vaginal) and another cat scan. It turns out I was developing quite a bad uterine infection. So I added Flagyl for 10 days. That stuff is nasty I wanted to die. It is now 6 weeks post op and I have finally quit bleeding and oozing.
I am feeling much better and am still waiting to see the result of the ablation.
Looking back, I realized that the nurse and dr. didn't have me sign any kind of forms, didn't go over any of the possible complications (other than the first office visit), and dr told me I could do anything I want including sex the next day.
I'm wondering if this is normal for in office ablations or if the dr somehow missed something being so unorganized. Could he have somehow introduced some bacteria from the equipment?
BTW, waiting for the nurse to call me back.
Thanks for listening and commenting.
jcat
Unread 01-28-2009, 08:03 PM
ablation complications

jcat,
I am sorry you have had problems post ablation. I just had mine yesterday and my dr told me no sex or carrying anything over ten pounds for two weeks. I am sure all doctors do things differently. But that is what I was told and I have read on here and other boards that their docs said to wait to have sex as well. I hope all goes better for you and it works out. I hate to read such stories. I am praying mine turns out as a success.
Hugs
Wendy
Unread 01-28-2009, 09:53 PM
ablation complications

Hi jcat:

Here is a link to a website with info & message boards about ablation: http://www.endometrialablationdiscussion.com/ I think you will find a lot more women with ablation experience there.

I hope you are feeling better soon. I am sending huge cyberhugs
Unread 01-31-2009, 09:20 PM
ablation complications

Jacat... I too had the interoffice ablation. Thank God I did not have the same major issues you had. I am dealing with pain and still bleeding. Which I had NO pain to begin with. Now, like you, after reading what everyone is saying here. My doctor did not tell me any of the outcome of pain only that there is a very small chance this will not work and he did not see any reason why it would not work for me even knowing in advance I had some fibroids. I am not facing a hysterectomy to stop the pain.

After talking with him again he is still saying "there should be no reason the ablation is causing any pain" he is sticking to that.

Best of luck to you..Genie
Unread 02-01-2009, 11:09 AM
ablation complications

I had an ablation, but in the hospital. But I have read that many drs. do them in the office. I am not sure about paperwork... I do know that hospitals have you sign tons. I have not usually had paperwork for procedures in dr. offices tho.

I am sorry you got an infection. Make sure to follow up to ensure the infection is completely gone. There are two possiblities for your infection. One is that it was introduced via bacteria on the equipment and the second is that bacteria in your vagina was introduced into your uterus. I am no dr. but my guess would be the second event. What happens is that some women harbor bacterial vaginiosis with no symptoms in their vaginas. During procedures where the uterus is entered (endometrial ablation, endometrial biopsy, D&C, etc), this bacteria which is harmless in the vagina can be introduced to the sterile uterus causing infection. I think this happened in your case because Flagyl is the treatment for bacterial vaginosis and other vaginal infectious agents. That is just my opinion.

Infection is always a possible complication of any surgical procedure, inpatient or outpatient. The doctor should have discussed possible complications with you, but would that have made a difference? Any time I've had any procedure, there are a litany of risks explained. But I think, in general, we go ahead with a procedure which has potential to help our quality of life regardless of the risks.

You can spot/ooz for up to 6mos post ablation. If the discharge has any odor or increases, see dr. again.

CC
Unread 02-03-2009, 09:20 AM
ablation complications

Wow....my gyno said no sex for 4 weeks post ablation.
Unread 02-19-2009, 07:17 PM
ablation complications

See I think this is part of the problem with ablations... I don't think the docs are being educated enough to perform them. My GYN has recommended it to me as an alternative to hysterectomy. The first thing I have read is if you have had a classic csection you are not a candidate... I had one in 05. Everything I have read on ablations (check out the college of gyn website where research is posted) is that they have a 25 to 38% failure rate which then leads patients to pursue a hysterectomy...which then skews the reported results of ablation. They run a higher risk of infection, Recovery (which includes heavy bleeding) can last up to 6 months, Results can take a year. They do not eliminate your period but instead are an attempt to lighten it to a more normal state...if done sucessfully. I have also read that the "auto" systems like novasure are designed to work in the "perfect shaped uterus" which most women don't have. So the other techniques rely on the drs skill and training to do it correctly. ANY MISSED TISSUE CAN REGROW!!! and also as our body has the ability to repair its self, tissue will regrow so essentially an ablation is trying to defeat nature which will catch up in time.
Aside from that, from all the experiences and even a few drs have stated that they are extremely painful procedures. The other thing that gets me about ablation is that it is a SURGICAL PROCEDURE...Drs are not really informing patients of this, it is considered "less invasive" but surgical... I have to ask how much less invasive can burning or cooking the inside of an organ be rather than just removing the organ?
Unread 03-01-2009, 07:02 PM
my ablation

Hi Guys,

I am sorry to hear that you went through that - I too had my ablation almost 3yrs to the date and for 2.5 yrs no complications - no periods - nothing - I was doing great-

I believe that this is the doctors lack of knowleadge about it to be honest -

6 mos ago - I started having contractions - full blown contractions - finally between the hospital and my doctor who did the ablation was like "there is stored blood in your uterus" that will not go away - every month when my body wants to menstrate it just stores the blood causing that pain -

well I almost one week since I had my hysterectomy - if I had known that this could have been a side effect I probably would have never had my ablation -

I hope that it turns out well for you - and wish you all the best -

Laura
Unread 03-01-2009, 11:24 PM
ablation complications

No, I seem to have been misunderstood. I have a dr recommending me to have an ablation. I am trying to convince my dr that ablation is not an option for me. I have done my research, actually 2 weeks worth. I see my dr on Wednesday to discuss this alternative. I have made my decision and I told my husband I will not sign an informed consent to have the procedure...because that would be acknowledging that I know the risks involved and accept them. In my situation, having had a classic c section (vertical) I cannot find one bit of information about ablation being an option, approved or recommended. Everything I have found states that it is not an option for me.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.