HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

5 wks and a pelvic abscess 5 wks and a pelvic abscess

Unread 02-05-2009, 05:15 PM
5 wks and a pelvic abscess

Hi All,
Wow what a week it has been. I had a TAH (kept left ovary) on 12/29 and have had my share of struggles...week 2 collopse (sp) lung, week 3 lots of gas and week 4 check up a cuff that didnt heal.
I have not felt well in weeks and between my Dr, family and friends I heard...you just had major surgery, relax, its gas, its hormones..slow down.
Well as I posted last week I was released to go back to work pt on Monday and by Wednesday I was on the couch all day.
Didint feel too hot Friday..and ended up calling Dr Saturday who said it's normal do you need more pain med??? Well by Monday I was in such lower left pain..like my skin was on fire from inside out..shooting pain in vaginia and pushing pain on recum..I called the Dr again and was told my Dr would return Tuesday...rest, take pain med and if it got so extreme go to the emergency room.
Well I did and imagine my horror when I found out I had a pelvic abscess and a cyst on my left ovary.
I ended up in hospital till this afternoon...had a catscan asperation on Tuesday...VERY painful..and now have a pick to receive IV antibotics 3X a day at home in addition to 1 by mouth per day.
i just need a break...but I will say on the upside at least I only have a small cut on my belly and didnt have to go through the entire cutting process again!!

So after this long post (thanks for letting me vent) my question has anyone else suffered from this???

Thanks!!
Unread 02-05-2009, 05:27 PM

OMG, im so sorry your dealing with all this!!!! I have no experience in this, but wanted to ask you more about the abcess pain.
Maybe u could check out my post" new, hysterectomy & pain", i was wondering if your pain might be the same as what i have been feeling...

anyways, im saying a little prayer for you and hope that you can finally catch a break! gentle hugs!
Unread 02-05-2009, 06:56 PM

tonitoni -

I'm not sure if I posted to you before. I did have an abscess, actually 2 and one of mine ruptured. Very life threatening! So while I'm so sorry you had to have this complication, I'm also SO HAPPY for you that they caught yours in time. I had to undergo another very major surgery to fix the problems caused by the rupture and I'm lucky to be here today. When I Googled what happened to me it said in the first paragraph 'death usually occurs from the ensuing sepsis'. Yikes!!

I sure hope your feeling better soon and that there are no more complications - just a smooth and speedy recovery!!!!

Starbgirl
Unread 02-05-2009, 09:43 PM

You poor thing. Thank heavens you went in and they found it and you are alive and improving. That is a true emergency and I can definitely understand the pain - I had a severe pelvic infection and hematoma at 1 week after the hyst. I did not have to have drainage via CAT scan guidance, like you - although I was offered that, and it sounded horrid - just IV antibiotics in hospital for 4 days and 10 days on orals. Worst pain ever.

I also wish you a speedy recovery - but it might take a little time. I felt pretty wrung out for a couple weeks....then got better quickly. It is a very emotional and stressful experience so be good to yourself and have a good cry when you feel like it. It all happens so fast and is so scary it's a lot to deal with. Take it easy and call your doctor whenever you need to - I went in for several checks afterwards just because I needed reassurance everything was okay.

Take care and I will be sending you good thoughts for an uneventful and swift recovery. You're not the only one.....

Kathy
Unread 02-06-2009, 08:52 AM

Thank you all and yes it is very emotional..I think it just hits you..5 weeks and then this!
The nurse started today to do IV antibotics..she will return at 4..and keep your fingers crossed at 11... I will do it myself. Yippee 3 months of this!
But again I'm gald it was found and feel I can now make the full recovery my body needs!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway