HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Removing bandages Removing bandages

Unread 02-09-2009, 01:00 PM
Removing bandages

I am starting to freak out a little about the waterproof bandaids covering my incisions. It is 11 days since my surgery. At first I didn't want to remove them or even look at them. I thought they would loosen after several days but they aren't and I can't get them off and I have been in the shower every day. I'm worried the healing will be compromised if I don't get the bandages off and clean the incisions. Anyone else with this problem or does someone know how to get them to come off? I go to the Dr. on Thursday so I'm sure they will take them off then but feel kind of stupid and kind of scared that if I try to pull them off I wll hurt myself.
Unread 02-09-2009, 01:28 PM
Removing bandages

It sounds like you have steri-strips, not bandaids. They are used to keep wounds closed and are supposed to be very adhesive. You can clean the incision over the top of them with soap and water.

I've heard people take them off with baby oil since that breaks down the adhesive. Or you could wait to see your Dr and see if they're taken off at the office.
Unread 02-09-2009, 02:02 PM
Removing bandages

I am 2 1/2 weeks post op and my steri strips are just starting to loosen. I am hoping that my doctor will remove them at my appt. this afternoon.
Unread 02-09-2009, 02:14 PM
Removing bandages

I removed mine and it wasn't that bad. I have a vertical incision and I just went from the top of the steri strip down. I just used my antiseptic right overtop of the steri strips. They are great for soaking it right up.

Try getting them wet and then try to easily take them off, I was surprised just how easy they came off. I am now 10 days post op and had to remove them now three different times and had no problems.

Hope this helps.
Unread 02-09-2009, 03:15 PM
Removing bandages

If you end up removing the steri strips yourself, try pulling both ends toward the middle. That will stop the tugging from pulling at the incision. If you feel more comfortable letting your doctor remove them it should be okay. A few days longer shouldn't make much of a difference.
Unread 02-09-2009, 03:30 PM
Removing bandages

sorry for my post I have a horizontal incision... oops lol!!!! goes to show how smart I am. Thank god for DH to keep me inline.

Haven
Unread 02-10-2009, 08:59 AM
Removing bandages

Thanks ladies I feel a little better now. I will let the doc remove them on Thursday.
Unread 02-10-2009, 09:47 AM
Removing bandages

My doctor took them off yesterday at my appt. I expected it to hurt but it didn't.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.