HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Separate Surgeries

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Ovarian Remnant Syndrome Ovarian Remnant Syndrome

Unread 08-23-2001, 07:28 PM
Ovarian Remnant Syndrome

I need info on this awful syndrome, where the ovary(ies) are partially left due to their location with adhesions pulling them next to ureters or embedding them against the pelvic wall. I cannot find anything on any web site about it.

I have had a TAH/BSO and was told there was a possibility that they did not get all of one ovary. I have not had any symptoms of menopause since the first week after surgery and my first FSH test was pre-menopausal, I have to know more about this. It is driving me crazy! Some call it Residual Ovarian Syndrome, whatever they call it, if you know where I can get more info please pass it on to me. I have a DR appt next week and would like to be educated and armed with questions.

Many thanks in advance, and by the way, I feel terrific!
Unread 08-24-2001, 07:00 AM
Here's the info...

My Thread on Ovarian Remnant Syndromehttp://hystersisters.com/vb2/search.php?action=showresults&searchid=62129&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending
Unread 08-25-2001, 06:27 PM
Missing link?

HI Andrite,
Thanks for responding. I went to the link in your post above and there was nothing in any response relevant to the ovary remnant syndrome. Can you check on that for me?
THANKS!
Unread 08-25-2001, 10:28 PM
Ovarian Remnant Syndrome

Kathy,
My Dr thought i had the same thing. I think he knew something he wasnt telling me since he was so upset about it. I was on lupron for 3 months before hyst so he waited for 6 weeks after the hyst to test my blood levels. fsh was 100 and estrogen 29, he was happy about that!!! I had less meno symptoms after hyst than on lupron. But by the time my 3 months wait was up for estrogen I was having major symptoms!!! Now i have the endo pains back again!!! Need to see if my hrt dose is right.. Are you on any hrt???? That will change your results.
I also had a hard time finding info on ovarian remnant.. www.jenniferlewis.com had a good mess on it.. go to the mens board, mayo clinic Drs wrote a letter about it..
My Dr was worried about this cause if its left it can continue to feed the Endo. I worry if it is left it might be sleeping (ovaries in shock) and wake up later like some normal ovaries do.
Im glad you are feeling good. It sounds like you are staying on top of things...Let us know what your Dr said...
love Patty
Unread 08-26-2001, 05:00 PM
Thanks Goldiepac

My Doctor hasn't said that I have that, it is a possibility. I am not on HRT. I have no menopause symptoms-might want to read my post in the No Hormone Jungle. I was on no medication prior to surgery either. Sorry to hear that your pain is back. I hope you get it under control soon!

Thanks for the link!
Unread 08-26-2001, 08:46 PM
Possible for me too!

Kathy,
I may have the same thing you do. Right now my doctor is trying to figure out what to do next. I am still waiting to hear from him. I also have not had any menopause symptoms since the first few weeks after my TAH/BSO in May and I am not on any HRT. I am waiting to go on the Climara patch. My doctor didn't think that a hormone test would help in the diagnosis because he said the adrenal glands kick in hormone production so it would be hard to say if some of my left ovary is still there simply by a hormone test. My left ovary was deeply imbedded in the abnominal wall and I got conflicting reports back from the doctor who did the surgery so I am not sure what is going on. Did your doctor know he/she didn't get it all??? Are you having pain? I am having lots of pain on the left side. Sure feels like ovarian pain. And I seem to have normal amounts of mucus too almost like a cycle. Is this the same for you too? I just did a search on Yahoo for Ovarian Remnant Syndrome and was able to find info. It seems to say that it takes a very skilled surgeon to remove all of the ovary once its embedded in the abdnominal wall because of endo and/or adhesions. Let me know how it all works out.
Peace,
Bellis
Unread 08-27-2001, 07:56 AM
oops...

I copied the wrong thread!

Try this:

Info on Ovarian Remnant Syndrome
Unread 08-27-2001, 04:44 PM
Reply to Bellis and THANKS ADRITE

I was told that there was a good possibility that they did not get all of my left ovary. Mine was embedded in the pelvic wall too. Everything was embedded. It is still too soon after surgery to tell whether what I am feeling is surgery related or a bit of ovary. I had two very experienced surgeons so I feel confident that they did all they could to remove everything without causing a lot of damage-that's scary territory around the ureters and intestines!
I have slight tinges of pain nothing to worry about yet. I don't feel as though I have had a TAH/BSO to tell you the truth, I was prepared to feel all sorts of hot flashes and such and since the first week, I haven't had any. I am NOT complaining. I am just very curious to know if I should expect the symptoms of menopause to come later. I am not having any pre-menstrual -like symptoms either.

I have to ask you though, if your DR doesn't think a hormone level test would help because of the adrenal glands kicking in then why do women go through menopause symptoms at all? I have no medical background but that just didn't click with me.

I want info on how long it takes for an ovarian remnant to show it's ugly side, what can be done if anything, are there meds that work for the long term. I am not getting this info anywhere. Is this really unknown territory?? I can't believe that with all the search engines for the web that I can't pull up this information.

Thanks for listening to me squawk! Let me know if you run across any info. Thanks!
Unread 08-28-2001, 06:27 AM
Ummm...

If you're not on hrt, it is my understanding that a simple FSH test done over a period of time could show if you have an ovarian remnant or not. You have the FSH taken then go back a week or two later and the results are compared. Talk to your doc -- and always get a second opinion before consenting to surgery.
Unread 10-10-2007, 12:12 PM
Angry - Ovarian Remnant Syndrome Could I have ors?????

Hi, I am 5 months post op tomorrow. And I've started having the same pain where my ovaries were. My lower badk is hurting the same as well. I have been having pain for the last month but I couldn't bring myself to believe something else was wrong after all I've been through. Finally another hyst. sister convinced me to call my dr. And he wants to see me tomorrow. I am in pain and haven't even let my hubby know b/c he was so happy thinking our lives where back to normal. He is understanding and a all around great guy! I just hate to let him know something is wrong again. Do you ladies think ors could be my problam or do you have any other ideas???

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.