HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Separate Surgeries

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Ovarian Remnant Syndrome after Hysterectomy Ovarian Remnant Syndrome after Hysterectomy

Unread 02-16-2009, 09:45 AM
Ovarian Remnant Syndrome after Hysterectomy

Has anyone been diagnosed with Ovarian Remnant Syndrome after having a total hysterectomy? I was diagnosed 1 year after my hysterectomy and had to have basically another hysterectomy. Today I am having some of the same symptoms and have a doctor's appt. this week to find out what's going on.

What symptoms have you experienced with Ovarian Remnant Syndrome? Have you had the symptom of severe low back pain along with other symptoms of ORS? Some of my other symptoms include very tender abdomen/pelvic area. Going to the bathroom can sometimes be uncomfortable, but not always. I feel bloated and feel like I'm having a menstrual cycle without the bleeding. I have cramping at times. I'm also moody and I feel like my hormones are out of whack. I'm having a lot of hot flashes. I currently take prometrium, which is progesterone. I had a TAH in June 2005, and ORS surgery in July 2006, and was told ORS can come back, so I'm wondering if this is what's going on. I went to see my regular doctor about a month ago, thinking I might have a kidney infection, and they thought I might have passed a kidney stone. I've also had a little blood in my urine once, and a little blood discharge once, but that's it. Anyway, my regular doctor put me on antibiotics, and it really didn't do anything. I'm still having the pain, and I have to take ibuprofen round the clock to be able to tolerate it. I have a gynos. doctor's appt. this Thursday. I would really appreciate some feedback. Thanks

Thanks,
HysterDM
Unread 02-19-2009, 04:39 PM
Ovarian Remnant Syndrome after Hysterectomy

I'm sorry that you are still having problems. While I haven't experienced ORS personally, I have seen it discussed here. You can do a search of these forums to find some threads to read until someone comes along with some personal experience to share.

Unread 04-06-2009, 07:59 PM
Cool - Ovarian Remnant Syndrome after Hysterectomy Re: Ovarian Remnant Syndrome after Hysterectomy

HysterDM,
I can share my story--- I will try to be brief.
Since 1993 have history of endometriosis (surgery for cysts that were causing severe pain in my left side 1994)
placed on numerous birthcontrol pills to control endo--not too great.
2003 had BSO (ovarian tumors&ovaries removed)
Doctor immediately put me on estrogen patch
I had awful headaches (family doc gave me migraine meds for and sometimes did not get rid of them) then in 2004 I had awful pain in left side that reminded me of earlier pain in 1994. Doctor's answer was D&C (I said no) and got 2nd opinion... who took me off estrogen patch and after a year of going every 2 months for ultrasounds... CYST that was growing on left side shrunk and they found an OVARIAN REMNANT.
Now from 2003 thru 2009 I have had numerous UTIs to Severe Migraine Headaches and also bad PMS (bloating and acne) and also Chronic Sinusitus that doesn't go away. Also the Doctor told me that each time other doctors had done surgery they made mess of me...adhesions so bad...and the remnant is microscopic (that it would be like finding spec of pepper in wad of gum.) So now I am 50 and they said 2008 I am PostMenopausal -- and other day I started bleeding. they did endo-biopsy(which was awful--and they should tell you to take ibuprfen before you have this) I am waiting on the results. This current Doctor said can not help me with any problems or pain management when I said... what about all the PMS and headaches and etc... I am at my witzend - here I am postmenopausal (had gone for almost 3 yearz without period...now they say this ovarian remnant is trying to function like an ovary. I have kept my job... but some days headaches are awful and last ALL DAY. I feel the current Doc now just wants me to go away and not bother her with my symptoms. **I have started to try Shaklee Products and intend to try to solve this with Nutrition, Healthy eating and exercise. Shaklee's products have helped me so far with the sinusitus and joint problems I have been getting since the 2003 surgery. I do not feel any support from the Doctor and I see no other choice. I am frustraated over this. sorry my note is so long. **I hope that this info might help you know you are not alone.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.