HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Should I get a hysterectomy? Dysplasia & HPV Should I get a hysterectomy? Dysplasia & HPV

Unread 02-16-2009, 02:08 PM
Should I get a hysterectomy? Dysplasia & HPV

Hello,
I joined the hystersisters because I need to speak with women who have had a hysterectomy. I have painful periods each month (feels like I am in labor) and the gyn doesnt know why. I had stage 1 of cervical cancer in 2000 and had it frozen off. I just had an irregular pap test in January and had a biopsy on Friday the 13th. My pap also tested positive for HPV, which sometimes causes cervical cancer. My gyn suggests that I have a hysterectomy, which would eliminate my painful cramps and would also eliminate my chances of ever getting cervical cancer because of the HPV. I had my second child almost 4 years ago and had my tubes tied almost 3 years ago. So, I am not planning on having anymore children. I will get the results of the biopsy in a week to ten days. My gyn says that if it is cervical cancer, she strongly thinks I should have the hysterectomy done. If it is not cancer, there are other ways to deal with cramps, but she says removing the organs that are causing me troubles seems like the best thing to do (from a surgeons point of view). I could make a better decision of what to do if I knew more of what my life would be like without my uterus. She would leave both of my ovaries in. I would really appreciate if you shared your experiences with your hysterectomy. I do wonder if having one done would help with the acne problem I have had ever since my first child was born 10 years ago. Thank you very much for your time.
Unread 02-16-2009, 03:50 PM

Hi and welcome. A few questions come to my mind you may want to consider regarding a hysterectomy to correct painful menstruation. What diagnostic tests have been performed. Such as ultrasounds, Hysterscopy, Uterine biopsy, D&C, MRI, laproscopy, ect. It sounds like you really do not have a 'working' diagnosis at this point. Gathering more information will help you understand you options for narrowing down diagnosis as well as treatment options.
Have you tried birth control pills yet? Hysterectomy is usually considered last option with the exception of cancer diagnosis.
A hysterectomy is a major surgery, many women on this forum are very happy with the results post surgery but recovery can be difficult. It is also advisable to get a second opinion. I'm sure the last thing you want is a major surgery and still have pain afterwards.

You've found a great place for information and support. Good luck with your decision and test results next week
Unread 02-17-2009, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hope09
Hi and welcome. A few questions come to my mind you may want to consider regarding a hysterectomy to correct painful menstruation. What diagnostic tests have been performed. Such as ultrasounds, Hysterscopy, Uterine biopsy, D&C, MRI, laproscopy, ect. It sounds like you really do not have a 'working' diagnosis at this point. Gathering more information will help you understand you options for narrowing down diagnosis as well as treatment options.
Have you tried birth control pills yet? Hysterectomy is usually considered last option with the exception of cancer diagnosis.
A hysterectomy is a major surgery, many women on this forum are very happy with the results post surgery but recovery can be difficult. It is also advisable to get a second opinion. I'm sure the last thing you want is a major surgery and still have pain afterwards.

You've found a great place for information and support. Good luck with your decision and test results next week
Thank you for your response. My GYN felt, what she thought, to be a fibroid tumor which she was giving me an exam. It was right where my pain was the most, on my left side. She had me get an MRI done, which showed nothing at all. She thought I was getting the pain from the tumor, but now that the MRI showed nothing she doesnt know. I also had an ultra sound done, which showed I have a slightly enlarged uterus. I have read that some women get extreme periods after a tubal and have it reversed for relief. My GYN says she doesnt think that will stop my pain because the pain is coming from my uterus. I know birth control pills might help, but I always had side effects from the pills and so I kind of would rather try something else. I know a few women who have an IUD and they get their period every few months instead of every month. The cramps are still there, but at least it wouldnt be every month. I just dont know what else to try. I get the biopsy results next week. I have had cervical cancer before and if I have it again now, I will most likely get a hysterectomy because I may keep getting cancer from the HPV. If its not cancer, I will consider other options for the cramps. Its just, if a hysterectomy isnt going to change my body too much, it seems so much easier to eliminate the organ that is causing the pain. I am afraid that I will get a hysterectomy and then go through different problems. I am going to do much more research before making a decision. I can tell that I came to the right place for great support. Thank you.
Unread 02-17-2009, 09:44 AM

Sounds like you are on top of things. Wishing you well with whatever you decide.
Unread 02-17-2009, 11:23 AM

Hi, tinktink, and

I had my hysterectomy for severe pain--it used to come during periods, after sex, after a pelvic exam, after an ultrasound, etc. I'm glad to know that you've had the tests done, although it's really frustrating when they don't show anything conclusive. Several years ago, I had an ultrasound that showed one thing and an MRI that showed something in an entirely different place. It turned out that I had an endometrial polyp and a fibroid tumor, and each showed up on only one of the tests. Perhaps when your biopsy comes back you'll have a better sense of what to do.

I'm only two months post-op, but so far my life is even better than it was before my surgery. The pain I was experiencing was part of my life almost every day. I hadn't realized how difficult it was to deal with until it was gone. For me, the hysterectomy was very much the right decision. Every woman I personally know who's had a hysterectomy told me that it was the best thing she ever did. Knowing that so many vibrant women had continued living vibrant lives made it easier for me.

That doesn't mean it's the best thing for you. Even though your says that a hysterectomy is the best option, it might be a good idea to ask her to discuss other options as well, along with the pros and cons. That way, you'll feel more informed and you'll better understand whatever option it is that you make.

None of us here can tell you what's right for you. However, we can and will share our own experiences with you. Keep us posted on what you decide.

Unread 02-17-2009, 02:00 PM

Thank you Chris. Everyone is so great here. I will keep posting as I decide what to do. Thank you everyone! (how do you get the smilies to show up?
Unread 02-17-2009, 03:02 PM

To get the smilies, click on the Go Advanced button below your message screen. Over on the right you should see some smilies, and you'll see even more if you click on the More button. And if you become a Crown Jewel member, you get to use even more smilies!

Smilies are fun and help us send and to future princesses like you.
Unread 02-17-2009, 04:04 PM

So much information on this site, I learn something new everyday. I'm going to check out smiles. Thanks Chrishttp://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/newreply.php#
Unread 02-19-2009, 12:13 PM
Hysterectomy for Dysplasia & HPV?

I just found out my biopsy results...I have pre-cancer cervical cancer (dysplasia). I also have HPV and was treated for dysplasia in 2000. I know I can have it treated again this time, but what if the HPV I have keeps giving the dysplasia back to me? The biopsy and treatment is so painful and I'm not sure if I want to keep going through it for the rest of my life. I also have very painful period cramps and want very much to get relief. A hysterectomy would eliminate ever getting cervical cancer and would eliminate my cramping...but I don't know if a hyster is too extreme. I would be getting a partial hyster (uterus & cervix). My tubes are tied now and I am not having any more children (I have 2 now). Should I get a hyster or have a LEEP treatment for dysplasia and look into other options for relief with cramps? I would have to get a pap test every year and maybe have more biopsy & treatments. I also have had moderate acne for 10 years (after my son was born) and I would LOVE to eliminate that too. Does a hyster help with acne? Does anyone know any good alternatives for severe cramps and acne? Any experience and advice would be so greatly appreciated.
Unread 02-20-2009, 01:45 PM

Well, I got my biopsy results. I have pre-cancer cervical cancer (aka dysplasia). At first I thought I'd have a LEEP procedure done and stay current on my pap tests. After a few times of this, I would get a hysterectomy. Then, I started thinking that I have health insurance NOW with my job...what if I dont have insurance when/if I need a hysterectomy? Also, my two kids & I are staying at my moms house while I save money to get a place for us. After a hyster, I will be missing work and thus a few paychecks. When I do have house bills, I wont be able to pay them if I go without paychecks. I guess I am thinking that if I am going to get a hyster eventually, then now is the best time to do it. The reason I think I might need a hyster eventually is because I have HPV, which probably caused my dysplasia in 2000 and is probably also the cause of why I got it again...so it seems likely that the HPV will continue to give me dysplasia. I do not want to continue getting biopsys and procedures for the rest of my life...and I dont want to take any chance with cervical cancer. I also still have extremely painful periods and a hyster would completely eliminate that. I am still indecisive and am researching side effects of hysterectomys. I need some personal advice who know my situation. Does anyone have HPV and kept getting dysplasia? Also, does a hysterectomy help with acne or make it worse? If my ovaries are left in, will they eventually stop producing hormones because of low blood flow? I feel so overwhelmed and am not sure how I am ever going to decide what to do!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.