HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Red bruise & bump at iv site 3 months post op Red bruise & bump at iv site 3 months post op

Unread 02-21-2009, 08:34 AM
Red bruise & bump at wrist 3 months post op

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone else 3 month post-op still has a bruise, black/blue and tender at the wrist? The IV itself was in my hand but next to the bone in my wrist has a matching twin bump this red and bruised. I had my appt 6 weeks post opt with my dr and brought this up then and he stated that it can stay like that for a month or two. Well, I am a few days shy of 3 months and this morning it is swollen to the size of a marble and it is red and hurts a bit. I figured I might have just slept on it funny but my DH thinks I should go to my primary physician asap, like first thing on monday, to have her look at it. I just don't feel like sitting in an office for 2 hours missing work and pay a
co-pay I can't afford for her to look at it and dismiss it as normal. Has anyone else gone 3+ months of this problem? Thanks!! Kathy
Unread 02-21-2009, 12:18 PM
Red bruise & bump at iv site 3 months post op

It could have been a hematoma but if it is newly swelling, red and painful after almost 3 months you should have it looked at. It can take a long time for the body to reabsorb pooled blood but if it hasn't by now you may need to have it drained or antibiotics. Do you have a first med near by, they usually take insurance and are open on the weekends. May give you a jump start on treatment.
Doesn't is seem like it never ends?
Unread 02-21-2009, 01:48 PM

I still have a bump on the vein but it is not bruised looking.
Unread 02-22-2009, 12:07 AM

If it is red and swollen it could be phlebitis. You would have to take antibiotics to clear that up. So a call to you HCP wouldn't hurt. I also had phlebitis. Some of the drugs that are pushed after surgery are very irritating to the vein phenergan is one of them so if you had nausea after your surgery you may have received it.
Unread 02-22-2009, 06:07 AM

I had an IV site one time and it was red and very sore and swollen. It was just the day I came home from my hyst. I ended up going back to the ER and it was cellulitis. It required an antibiotic to clear it up and the DR told me that i was lucky that I went in because it will spread. It is caused when the IV is in one site too long or the fluids going through the IV go into the tissue instead of the Vein. It wouldn't hurt to get it checked.
Unread 02-22-2009, 11:35 AM

I had my hyst on 11/3. I had a bump that came up near where my IV was inserted. I asked my surg. about it at 6 wk ckup. H esaied that the bump could take three months or longer to go away. Mine still has a bruise and slightly hard place in it at almost 4 months. The bruising has gotten worse at times. I was told it was from your body trying to reabsorb the blood. Hope this helps. I hope mine goes away soon. I had to buy a new watch because mine was rubbing on the bump. Best wishes!
Unread 02-22-2009, 02:38 PM

Hi girls.

I have a terrible time with my IV's. I always get phlibitis. It looks like the vein became hard, can be red sometime and is painful to the touch. I also develop blood clots that are superficial (not deep vein clots). These appear as bumps in the vein with the rest of the vein looking mostly normal. I also get what is called valves. They stay for good and block the vein and make it unusable for future IV sites. I see my hematologist for all these just to be sure it's nothing life threatening.
You should see your doctor and have them take a look at it. A heating pad helps with the pain (if yo have any). Try not to rub the area and hopefully it will go away. GL
Unread 02-22-2009, 03:01 PM

I too had a damaged vein on my IV hand, it didnt end up at my wrist though. I would have it checked out or call the DR. I had to take motrin for weeks after my surgery just to keep the hand pain down. It was very painfull and lasted almost 3 months. Heating pad did help too. As well as ice. GOOD LUCK
Unread 02-22-2009, 06:54 PM

I still have a painless pea-sized lump near to where my iv was inserted. My Dr said it is a superficial blood clot and that it will go away on its own. It doesn't look red or bruised and I noticed a few days ago that it is now gradually getting smaller.
Unread 02-22-2009, 07:05 PM
Thanks

I took some advil a few hour ago and will make a call to the dr who did the surgery to see what he thinks. I'm thinking either he will want to see me or will tell me to call my primary dr. We shall see. Mondays are my busiest day at work and I can't miss anytime...esp on that day...so I will make a few calls and set something up for later in the week if anyone wants to see me. Thank you for everone's reply. I went to webmd with a few of the terms and read a bit. I'm not sure what catagory I would be in. I'l keep everyone posted!!! Thanks again. Kathy

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.