HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Blood Transfusion Blood Transfusion

Unread 02-26-2009, 08:23 AM
Blood Transfusion

Hi Everyone,

I am 3 weeks and 4 days into post op. I don't know all of the appreviations but I had a hysterectomy (kept ovaries) but because of the size of my fibroid tumor was not able to have uterus removed vaginally or laprascopically so they did a bikini cut. All and all, I am up, around, peeing fine, bowels are moving (but slowly as I am on iron for anemia) but feel like recovery is going well!

My concern is that prior to my hysterectomy I had to receive 2 units of blood because I had lost so much do to the excessive bleeding from my fibroid. While in surgery I had to receive 1 unit of packed red blood cell for assistance with clotting. My blood levels are back up, the iron is helping and I guess I should feel blessed that someone donated blood that I needed and could have died without. In fact I know I should feel blessed because my blood levels were nearing critical at one point. However, all I feel is panic that there was something wrong with the blood (HIV, hepatitis...anything else) that I will have contracted from the transfusion.

I pray about this every day and hope that I am fine but that is my real obstacle with my hysterectomy. Is there anyone else out there that needed a blood transfusion and wouldn't mine sharing how they felt or are feeling? I worry that I am alone on this.

Thank You.
Unread 02-26-2009, 08:50 AM
blood transfusion

Hello Syster!

I know what you mean, worrying about the blood thing.
I had a transfusion after surgery because my blood count was so low going in and I was sick of taking iron, etc. The Dr said my count (below 8) suggested I have it but left it up to me because he knew it was something I hoped to avoid. I decided after surgery that I would allow the transfusion because I felt I did not need anything further to hamper my recovery and since I was going to be weak from surgery, etc. I would benefit from eliminating anemia and not taking iron (need to have those BMs!) or anything. I did worry about the blood being safe, etc. I talked to my nurse while in the castle and she assured me there are very few troubles and they do have a safe supply. Well, here it is two months later and I seem fine. I had the transfusion on 12/17/2008 and I felt much better (count went up to like 9.5) and I have more energy now than before surgery for sure! What was funny the day of was the nurse says to me I don't know you and have never seen you before so I don't know what is normal for you but you have a lot more color in your face!! I guess I was pale white from being anemic? I never noticed LOL
Unread 02-26-2009, 08:58 AM
transfusion

Thank you so much for responding. The nurses assured me of the same thing in terms of safety of the blood. They showed me the statistics and my blood count was at 5.8 at Dr. office, 7.7 at hospital and only at 8 when I went in for surgery.

I actually lose sleep over this. I pray about it and try not to worry but every couple of days it creeps back into my mind and I wonder if I contracted anything (for fear of giving something to hubb). I was told that most people don't have their blood tested after transfusion as the blood supply is very safe but I am still wondering if I should. Do you have any advice on that?

Again, thank you for responding. I was told that I was white as a sheet upon entering the hospital but my Dr. says I have all of my color back. I am on 2 pills of iron 325mg each daily for one month. UGH..BM are a joke and very painful but my month ends Friday.

Thank you again for responding!
Unread 02-26-2009, 09:27 AM
blood transfusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappinalong
Thank you so much for responding. The nurses assured me of the same thing in terms of safety of the blood. They showed me the statistics and my blood count was at 5.8 at Dr. office, 7.7 at hospital and only at 8 when I went in for surgery.

I actually lose sleep over this. I pray about it and try not to worry but every couple of days it creeps back into my mind and I wonder if I contracted anything (for fear of giving something to hubb). I was told that most people don't have their blood tested after transfusion as the blood supply is very safe but I am still wondering if I should. Do you have any advice on that?

Again, thank you for responding. I was told that I was white as a sheet upon entering the hospital but my Dr. says I have all of my color back. I am on 2 pills of iron 325mg each daily for one month. UGH..BM are a joke and very painful but my month ends Friday.

Thank you again for responding!

Scrappin-

I plan to get tested myself around 6 months out...I want to be tested for HIV and also for hormone levels....until then unless there are symptoms I don't think there is a point. I would not worry about it if I were you right now, I mean it is not anything you can do anything about. I know when I had the transfusion all I could think was this blood used to be going around in someone elses body..gross...but we have to trust in the medical procedures that we have to endure to feel better. I personally think the castle where I stayed and my surgeon (my gyn) are both awesome and that relieves my concerns alot. I have confidence that neither one of them would allow sub-standard procedures. I had LAVH, kept both ovaries, etc and when I read these ladies having to be cut more I wonder if it was really necessary or if the surgeon was lazy ya know? So I know my Dr was awesome! My recovery has been good, still some BM issues but I guess that is to be expected when everything is 'touched' or moved during surgery, takes awhile to settle ya know?

Continue to pray so your mind will be eased. I have no medical background but do have confidence in the professionals who helped me thru the surgery

Hang in there!
Unread 02-26-2009, 09:43 AM
Blood Transfusion

Hi scrappinalong,

I guess it's normal to have those feelings as you won't want to end up having a life problem like the ones in your mind. Think about this, the chances that you will get an infection or major disease are minimal because donated blood undergo a series of tests just to avoid contageous bacteria or diseases. Think positive and thing about the well being that the tranfusions brought to you.
I had 2 blood tranfusions on Feb 3, the day after my histerectomy. I gave a thought with my husband because is ot a petty decisions, but once I got an insight of how bad I was feeling then and tries to estimate how long would it take me to overgo that by myseld, the decision came up straight and so far, no regrets! Risks are everywhere and we have to live life with them.
All the best!
Unread 02-26-2009, 09:54 AM
Blood Transfusion

MeHe...

Thank you! It helps to hear from sisters that have been where you have been. My transfusions were on January 30th & Feb. 1st. My hubby and I also weighed the risks but I was critical on needing blood so I didn't have a great deal of time to make the decision. Thank you for sharing and pointing out the positives.

Take Care.
Unread 02-27-2009, 06:55 PM
Blood Transfusion

I had a transfusion of 2 units of blood the menstrual period before my surgery. My blood count got down to 7. Thankfully, my surgeon got me in for the hysterectomy before I had another period. He thought I'd be too weak for surgery if I put it off. I had a large fibroid too, and the bleeding was getting worse every month. I thank God for whoever donated the blood for me. The blood products are extremely safe in the US. The bigger risk would've been if they didn't match your blood type correctly. By all means, get an HIV test every 6 months for the next few years if that makes you feel better.
Unread 02-27-2009, 07:08 PM
Blood Transfusion

I did not want a blood transfusion either. In fact, the morning that my doctor told me I had to have one I told him that I wanted to wait until my husband got there. I was hoping I would be able to convince my DH that I didn't need the transfusion and then he could tell my doctor no. Well, I passed out (again) while I was showering and DH had to carry me back to my room. So, I accepted the two pints of blood.

That was over eight years ago. I have never had a problem with having received someone else's blood. Yes, it did worry me a bit. I had wanted to bank my own blood in order to avoid receiving someone else's blood but didn't have time to bank two pints. A SIL would have donated blood for me but my hospital said her blood would have been treated as stranger donor and thus she did not have time either.

Because of numerous health issues I have had a lot of blood work done over the last eight years and I have not contracted any diseases or conditions from my blood transfusion.

Hope this helps!
Unread 02-28-2009, 01:33 PM
Blood Transfusion

Dear Sisters,

Everyone who has replied on this thread..THANK YOU. You are truly angels. Since reading all of your posts yesterday and today, I have report that I slept through the night last night without waking up with worry (as the past 27 nights have been). I kept thinking that if I hadn't had the blood transfusion that my hysterectomy would be normal. I don't feel alone now and I am having an easier time accepting that the blood I received and that is was probably safe and did save my life (at the rate I was losing it).

You are all anges in my book! Thank You again!

Dionne
Unread 02-28-2009, 02:27 PM
Blood Transfusion

Hi Dionne ,

Your concerns are normal my first blood transfusion I need in 1987 3 pints of blood due to surgery (they were not testing for aids then ) I did get several aids test and everything came out fine . I just got another blood transfusion on January 8th due to hemmorhaging from Fibroids I feel confident about the blood they gave . It saved my life as well so I feel blessed. I did lose 1/2 pint if blood for my surgery but they did not give me any blood and my OB does not want me taking the iron pills till 4 weeks..
But I have extremely low iron stored so I am a little concerned about that ..
But I keep telling myself my OB must know what he is doing ...I will pray for you for comfort and peace.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.