HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

Notices

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

abnormal pap smear after hysterectomy abnormal pap smear after hysterectomy

Unread 02-26-2009, 09:23 PM
abnormal pap smear after hysterectomy

I had a TAH/BSO 4 and a half months ago, had borderline serous ovarian cancer, no treatments, and I just had an abnormal pap smear- A-Typical cells. I don't have anything left in me, but my gyn/onc wants me to come in and get a biopsy. Should I be concerned? I didn't even know he was doing a pap, just thought he was looking and checking for tumors, so I was a little shocked when his nurse called. I really don't want to go, but I know I must. Anyone else have an abnormal pap after a total hysterectomy?

Thanks
Unread 02-27-2009, 02:03 AM

I have heard that this sometimes happens... don't know what to suggest.
I would definitely go in to find out... Have you had any silver nitrate treatments or I have heard that recent sex prior to a pap can do it also.
Hopefully someone else can shed more light on the situation.
Best to you and let us know what happens.
Unread 02-27-2009, 04:58 AM

I think that especially if you had cancer they always do a pap. I think its because maybe some cervical endometrial cells were left at the vaginal cuff site but that's only my guess. I will be going to my gyn / onc for my first follow-up at the end of March. I know he will do a Pap.

You definitely want to go and find out what's going on.
Unread 02-27-2009, 04:53 PM

My first pap came back abnormal also. I was told that there are many things that can cause it. Scarring, not quite healed yet, radation treatments, having sex even 48 hours before the exam, using douche before the exam, certain medications you're on, and in my case if I eat foods that contain gluten too soon before the exam, mine comes back abnormal because it causes a buildup of yeast and I have slight discharge.

You should definitely voice your concerns to your doctor and ask about what things can cause it.

Hope all goes well.
Unread 02-27-2009, 06:45 PM

Viking:
I had never heard that before about the foods containing gluten.. Thanks for the info... Something else to tuck away in my "feeble" brain.
Unread 03-01-2009, 12:14 PM

Pattie:

For some people (like me) who are sensitive, hypersensitive or allergic to gluten, it often causes yeast to build in the vaginal area and that causes discharge. Similar to a yeast infection but without all the other "issues" - just discharge and the yeast can cause paps to come back abnormal.
Unread 03-01-2009, 01:28 PM

Why do some doctors (like mine) tell me that I won't need pap smears anymore since I had my cervix removed? Now I'm confused (still living up to my name here)...should I demand getting my annual paps just as I always did?
Unread 03-01-2009, 02:33 PM

isconfused -

I would highly recommend asking why your dr. doesn't thing that you need paps anymore. Even my 89 year-old mother who had her hyster at 87 due to cancer had quarterly paps for a year after her surgery.
Unread 03-01-2009, 03:13 PM

sorry to hear you had an abnormal pap. anything other than 'normal' can be scary. as others have posted, it could be totally benign, perhaps just inflammation. hopefully, the doctor/lab has run an hpv test. many do this as standard procedure with an abnormal pap to see if it's being caused by an active hpv infection. i would encourage you to ask. and, you may have had a hysterectomy, but you still have your vagina and vulva, and it's good to know that he's continuing to be sure those are healthy!
Unread 03-01-2009, 03:29 PM

Thanks everyone. I am sure it is probably nothing and won't worry about it until I go on the 10th. I will have my list of questions for him. I will be glad when it is all over with. I will let you all know what happens.
Thanks again for your support,

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.