HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) > Hints from Members

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Closed Thread

3 Tricks for Post-Op Gas Relief 3 Tricks for Post-Op Gas Relief

Unread 03-09-2009, 04:38 PM
3 Tricks for Post-Op Gas Relief

Hello:

For me, the worst part of the day after my surgery was the gas and the pain that came with it. Walking helped, of course, but I learned three other tricks that really helped, without additional meds:

Don't drink from a straw, and limit really cold drinks. Warm is better.

Ask for a rocking chair. I do not know why this works, but it really did. I just sat back, closed my eyes, and rocked gently.

If you can, lie flat on your back (I listened to classical music), breathe deeply, and SLOWLY alternate bringing your knees up as close to your chest as possible. Don't overdo it - you'll learn quickly how much you can do - but it relaxed me and my stomach.

I don't know which actually did the trick, or whether it was a combination of the three. Either way, the gas and the pain it brings passed, and I felt SO MUCH BETTER. I hope this will help you as you progress toward coming home.

Hugs to you all. The wait is the worst part!
Closed Thread

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.