HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Heigtened sense of smell Heigtened sense of smell

Unread 03-09-2009, 05:42 PM
Heigtened sense of smell

A few women here have metioned smelling smoke or petrol and an overall heightened sense of smell. I experience this pretty badly and so looked at Google yesterday to try to work out what hormone is involved and was pretty surprised and annoyed because there is so little information there, where they do mention it even in regardsof Pregnancy it is speculative and all women know we experience that at that time. It is meant to be possibly associated with high oestrogen but that is not possible for those of us in Surgical menopause. My sense of smell is truly distressing, I am a smoker and have been showering, washing stuff because I can't ged rid of the odour. I have smoked for 30 years. Thing is I smell it where it isn't and I know ladies have mentioned that before. I am trying to sort this so if you have experienced this can you please say and whether you use ERT or HRT or whatever, or nothing?
I use eostradiol patch only either .5 or 1mg. It really frightens me how little the Medical Profession really seems to know about hormones in every area,or how they can ignore this symptom, it doesn't sound like much but it is pretty bad, it has led to me isolating myself because I think I smell terrible and always have without having known it.
Unread 03-09-2009, 08:51 PM
Heigtened sense of smell

Not sure about which hormone but experienced this during early pregnancy, so much so (in my hormone induced state) that I remember calling the shampoo company to complain I could no longer use the product as they'd added way too much scent to it! Hahahahaha! Embarressing now that I think back on it.
Unread 03-10-2009, 02:33 PM
Heigtened sense of smell

I think there are several women here that have sense of smell and taste issues after the surgery. You can do a Search and put in "sense of smell", and threads will come up on people who have had issues with this.

s

Sue
Unread 03-10-2009, 05:06 PM
Heigtened sense of smell

I am having the same issue. You're right, this is not the kind of symptom that doctors seem concerned about. I tried to address it with my ObGyn/Surgeon, but she told me it was more of an issue to discuss with an Internist, even though it seems related to surgery. I hope that we both get to the bottom of it soon.
Unread 03-10-2009, 08:30 PM
Heigtened sense of smell

Oh my god I know exactally what you mean !!
I am in surgical menopause and just started Premarin.
I can smell things so much more acutely. I had to tell my daughter off for putting on too much perfume, but she said it was only one spray and hubbys deodorant smelt really strong. I can also smell things around the home too.

All very strange.
Any advice?

Sammy
Unread 03-11-2009, 08:18 AM
Heigtened sense of smell

Interesting. I haven't noticed it because I already have a heightened sense of smell due to fibromyalgia. I wonder if this is somehow related. Since they're not sure why fibromites have this, then I'm wondering if the change of hormones does something to the brain (other than what we already know).

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.