HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Separate Surgeries

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

2 surgeries in one month 2 surgeries in one month

Unread 03-11-2009, 04:56 PM
2 surgeries in one month

Hi Everyone,

well I managed to finally get home on sunday so I have just been taking it easy since then and just trying to recoup. One surgery is bad enough but two boy oh boy what a month. All things considering though I feel pretty good. I took a tumble last night off of the couch onto the floor (having one of those groin pain things.... you know the ones where it feels like someone is stabbing you?) And I split my incision open so needless to say they weren't able to take out my staples today because of the gaping hole in the incision..... (Just my luck lol!) I have been walking around with a maxi pad on my stomach sure is cute. The gyn stuck a pair of tweezers inside of the incision to allow the drainage to come out (gross feeling) So between falling off the couch and the tweezer thing feeling pretty crampy today.. Not too bad real first day since coming home that I have had to use narcotic pain meds so thats good. I go back to the gyn on sat to have the staples checked again..

DH has been pampering me since coming home so thankfully I have him and very understanding kids as well so that means I haven't been doing anything.

The pathology report came back from the first ovary and its not cancer so atleast that was wonderful news. Started on Estrace while in the hospital and that seems to be going well. Having the occasional hot flash or two but nothing that can't be managed....

Anyways just figured I would drop a line to let everyone know that all is well and I do feel great considering everything I have gone through and everyday will get better.
Unread 03-11-2009, 06:53 PM
2 surgeries in one month

Glad you are doing well. I also had two surgeries two weeks apart. I am 2 weeks post op today and starting to feel better. Happy Healing.
Unread 03-12-2009, 03:01 AM
2 surgeries in one month

Hi Lisa,

Thank you for your reply. If you don't mind me asking what happened that you had to have your surgeries two weeks apart?
Unread 03-12-2009, 09:25 AM
2 surgeries in one month

(((Haven))) I am glad that your recovery is going good. A supportive family makes a big difference. I hope your recovery continues to go well. Best wishes and lots of hugs,
Carol
Unread 03-12-2009, 09:42 AM
2 surgeries in one month

Haven, I had my hysterectomy in October of 08. I really wanted to keep my ovaries and my felt like that was the best choice. I continue to have right sided pain since the first week of post op. I had extensive workups including ct scans, blood work, urologist, and GI doctor. I was having symptoms of low estrogen, but doctor didn't believe it because my ovaries were okay. I finally had a huge break down in his office in February. He ordered hormone testing. The next week, my GI said it was no way the pain was coming from my colon. He said it had to be adhesions or my ovaries. My hormones levels for my thyroid was fine, but my estradiol and testostrone was not back yet. I called my doctor crying after my GI appointment, telling him I was in pain and needed more pain medication because noone could figure this out. He decided to do a dx lap scope the next day. I had a huge cyst on my right ovary, actually multiple cyst and on my tube. I also had terrible adhesions all over. He really wanted to open my abdomen but was afraid to puncture my colon because it was so displaced by my adhesions. He left the left ovary because it was normal size with no cyst. I even saw a picture of it. He promised me he would have taken it if it even looked like it was going to act up. 9 days later, I had a fever and terrible diarrhea and pain in my left side. I thought he was going to think I was crazy. I thought I was crazy. I ended up at the ER because it was Sunday. They drew blood and said no infection. I called my gyn on Monday. He didn't call back until 6pm Monday. He told me to come in on Wednesday (Tuesday was Mardi Gras and our town shuts down). I went in first thing Wednesday morning. I was doubled over in pain in his office. He took me to ultrasound. I had a huge cyst and my ovary was enlarged. He called in his ultrasound tech to double check it. She agreed. I was in surgery 3 hours later to have my left ovary removed. He showed me a picture of it, it was huge and inflammed. He said he had never had that happen to him before. My surgeries were exactly 2 weeks apart.
Unread 03-12-2009, 12:28 PM
2 surgeries in one month

Hi Lisa,

You and I almost have the same story. Except that yours showed up on the ultra sound. Mine didn't show how bad it was until they were in there. Thanks for the reply. Good luck in your recovery, we both have a long road yet to get through.
Unread 03-12-2009, 12:35 PM
2 surgeries in one month

How has your hormones been? Mine were low before the ovaries were removed, but boy they have been terrible. He actually just increased them yesterday.
Unread 03-12-2009, 12:39 PM
2 surgeries in one month

My hormones were fine before the ovaries came out. He started me on estrace in the hospital and I am still taking them now. I take 1 mg I seem to be doing okay with them for now atleast I feel okay. I am still having some hotflashes but to be honest I don't mind them as I am always cold. The only complaint I have is that stabbing pain in my groin and then fallling off the couch I think I pulled something because boy oh boy I can really feel it so taking pain meds every 4 hours and ice/heat for now. what is going on with your hormones and how are you reacting?
Unread 03-12-2009, 12:53 PM
2 surgeries in one month

My hormones have been crazy. I have every mood everyday. My kids don't know if I am going to be screaming, crying, or laughing. My hot flashes are terrible. I cannot sleep. I had these symptoms after my hysterectomy. It was like my ovaries just never started working again after my hysterectomy. My estradiol level before ovaries removed was 34 and testostrone was 28. We didn't get the levels back until after my 1st ovary was removed or he would have removed them both because they just were not working. It has been a long journey since October. I am sure my doctor (of 11 years) will be glad to fix me and stop seeing me on a weekly basis. I started on estrace 2mg and estratest 1.25/2.5mg one every other day. But my symptoms kept getting worse. I started getting headaches and no energry. So yesterday he told me to take the estratest in the morning and the estrace at night. He did give me shot of estrogen last week to help boost my estrogen. I have young children and this is really taking a toll on them and my husband, not to mention me. I also started pelvic floor therapy yesterday.
Unread 03-12-2009, 03:44 PM
2 surgeries in one month

Oh dear you have had a long road haven't you and yes I am sure you will be glad when things can start to return to normal. I have heard that that is the worse thing about HRT is trying to get the right combo. I don't know what to tell you about that. Either I have just struck it lucky or maybe the reality just hasn't kicked in yet.
I hope that things start settling down for you and your family really soon once surgery is bad enough but going through two in the short time like we did is twice as bad and definitly takes its toll on our bodies.
Try to be patient (not that you haven't been already) and hopefully the right combo will be around the corner.... If you need to talk please don't hesitate to contact me if there is anything I can do to help......

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.