HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hyster Sisters Extras and Add-Ons > In Search of Info/Support for .....

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Excessive thirst at night?? Excessive thirst at night??

Unread 03-13-2009, 03:36 PM
Excessive thirst at night??

I drink tons of water through out the day and yet at night still wake up so thirsty. I keep a glass of water on my head board and drink the whole thing and sometimes two per night. Urine is always dark in the morning and fine by mid day. I do have night sweats bad but would it cause this need for large amounts of water? I drink constantly through out the day; 10 plus full glasses. Any one else with this problem of endless thirst?

May you be blessed.
Unread 03-13-2009, 04:43 PM

Have you been tested for diabetes? I had excessive thirst before I was diagnosed. What I thought were night sweats was my blood sugar dropping. I would wake up soaking wet. Just a thought.
Unread 03-13-2009, 06:44 PM

You should definitely see your doctor. Issues with your kidneys can cause that kind of thirst.
Unread 03-14-2009, 07:32 AM
Kidneys are my worry

That is what I was worried about. I was born prematurely and my kidneys are not shaped correctly and combined actually work of 80% of one normal kidney. I contacted my OBGYN and he didn't seemed worried, we did an uranalisis and all was regular but I am still worried that my kidneys as such are having to work too hard.
Unread 03-14-2009, 07:35 AM
Diabeties?

I have not been tested for diabeties...but I am hypoglosemic and that could acount for some of it...but it has never been an issue and I have had low blood sugar my whole life. I do not have to take any meds for it, I just watch my diet.
Unread 03-14-2009, 09:09 AM

I do know that hypoglycemia earlier in life can transition to diabetes later in life. Not trying to scare you I would call the doctor if I were you and see if they can find the problem. Maybe it is your kidneys. Don't know. Diabetes was the first thing that popped into my head when I read your post. I would think excessive thirst means something is going on.
Unread 03-14-2009, 09:55 AM

i'd suggest you go to the drs and get your kidney function tested and a diabetes test. if all is well, maybe look into what youre eating. if i eat out or eat snack foods, i drink at least 2 bottled waters at night. i wake up a couple times very thirsty. it could be your salt intake.
Unread 03-14-2009, 12:50 PM

If you took a lot of NSAIDs for pain before or after your hysterectomy, perhaps they have taken a bit of a toll on your kidneys. I used a lot of Aleve before my hysterectomy, and I am paying for it now. Your doctor should be able to give you some ideas of how to supplement to boost kidney function. dressedupinblue makes a good point, and if there are issues of kidney problems or diabetes, changes in diet should help quite a bit. Good luck to you!
Unread 03-15-2009, 10:43 AM
New doctor

I have a new doctor that is reviewing my past medical records (abominal pain has come back after my hyst and I have been dealing with it for the past 6 years)...still waiting to see what he says. As to diet I have a very healthy diet; rarely eat out or have junk foods. I watch my salt intake and am careful what I eat. I have a hiatal hernia so I have to watch my diet to help it. I am a ball of fun, LOL.

Thanks for all the info so far.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.