HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

Notices

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

CIN 3, Spread deeper into cervix, What does that mean? CIN 3, Spread deeper into cervix, What does that mean?

Unread 03-24-2009, 01:27 PM
CIN 3, Spread deeper into cervix, What does that mean?

Hello Everyone,

I have been searching the web for what seems like forever to find answers to the questions I have. It seems the only way is to get advice from those who are going through it or have been though it, so here I am.

I am a little worried and not sure exactly what it is I want to know but hopefully in writing this I will figure it out and with all your help know a little more than I do now.

When I was 16- I had a few abnormal pap tests, not HPV related and it went away all on it's own. Fast forward 13 years. I had not had a pap test since the birth of my son 7 years ago, big mistake. Turns out it came back abnormal showing severe dyslaysia. I had a colposcopy done and she took 7 tissue samples. The results came back I had CIN 2 and 3 on the surface of my cervix. It is now HPV related, I am not sure which since I did not have the HPV test done. I had a LEEP done a month ago. She called about a week after I had it done saying the results were not good. It showed I have abnormal cells deeper than they thought. It showed CIN 2 and 3 on the surface and possibly 1 or 2 deeper although they will not know for sure until they do a ECC.

Over the phone when they told me I asked some questions only to be told I needed to wait and talk with the doctor. I tried waiting and after a week called again. She answered some of my questions but then again told me I would have to wait, the doctor must talk with me in person. My appointment is Thursday this week.

One of the things I am confused about it they want to wait 6 months to do the ECC as not to damage my cervix anymore before it heals. This seems like a long time to wait, although I really don't have much when it comes to paitence. What I can't seem to find out is what are the treatment options if it is deeper? What does that mean? If it has spread deeper does that mean it is on it's way to becoming invasive cancer?

I have 2 children now, 9 and 7 they are beautiful wonderful children and I thank god for them everyday. I was widowed at 23 and thought that maybe I would marry again and possibly have more children. I still had this thought in my head when I went in to have the LEEP done. The more and more I think about it, I would rather be here for the children I do have than not because I decided to wait in case I may someday want more. My doctor has asked if I want more and I told her I would like the possibility there. I talked with a nurse at the local health department and she said my cells are bad enough they would do a hysterectomy with no questions asked. I have been doing a lot of thinking about this and have come to terms with the fact that I will have to have a hysterectomy. I also thought long and hard and I couldn't imagine myself having more children now that mine are getting older. It would be like starting over

If it is deeper how bad is that? I guess what I am trying to decide now is should I wait to have the hysterectomy or go ahead and have it done now. I have cancer in my family and would be devistated if it turns to invasive cancer. If it is deeper does that mean it is already invasive cancer? My doctor said if I had not said I still wanted the option of children open she would have done a hysterectomy. Now I am open to that but want to know more of what is going inside me.

I am sorry this is so jumpy I am confused lol I hope you can get where I am going and that someone here has some advice. I am probably going to think of more to say after I post this but here goes anyway.

Thanks to everyone who reads this and thank you for any advice you can offer

Christina
Unread 03-24-2009, 04:35 PM

I am sure one of the cervical cancer ladies will be by shortly.. I just wanted to send hugs your way...It sounds like you are being proactive about your health and that is the main thing...
I am guessing that they are saying they didn't get clear margins from your leep which would mean more surgery ... I have heard of women having their entire cervix taken and then something put in it's place to retain the viability of a future pregnancy. That decision , if available to you, will take some soul searching... I would ask your doctor about all of the options, and what they recommend and that will help you with your decision.
Unread 03-24-2009, 06:00 PM

Hi Christina! I am sorry you had to find us (because of your pathology reports), but I am glad you did (so we can help you! Welcome!

The cervix is made up of 2 types of cells. The outer cervix (lower 1/3) is made up of squamous cells. The upper cervix (upper 2/3) is made up of glandular/columnar cells. Most dysplasia (that is found) is squamous cell. Squamous cells are easy to see and sample during a pap or a colpo. Glandular cells cannot be seen during a pap and some of them *might* be seen during a colpo- but not most of them. The only nonsurgical way to sample the glandular cells is with an ECC.

It sounds to me like you have some squamous cell involvment and some glandular cell involvement.

It takes several months for the cervix to heal. I thought it was 3-5 months. If they do a biopsy too early, then the cells will come back abnormal, but it is likely because the cells are growing at a different rate from healing - not because there is really a problem (though that is a possibility).

If you have CIN II (moderate dysplasia) or CIN III (severe dysplasia) or carcinoma in situ (or adenocarcinoma in situ) on any of your pathology reports, then I strongly suggest you get in to see a gynecological oncologist.

Gynecologists are good at doing standard gyne-things (paps, treating infections, monitoring pregnancy, fertility, delivering babies), but they don't have a lot of experience (or honestly - knowledge) of higher levels of abnormal cells (detection and/or treatment of). A gyn/onc has special training in detection and/or treatment of abnormal situations in the pelvis.

I hope that helps! Ask whatever questions you have!
Unread 03-25-2009, 09:42 AM

Thank you so much for the replies, both really help.

I know I have CIN 2 and 3, I'm not sure about the rest. I have an appointment tomorrow and have called so I can get copies of everything. Atleast that way I have them and can then ask here if I don't understand something.

I have looked all morning for a GYN/ONC but unfortunatly I don't think there is one where I live, or anywhere near where I am(I live in the UP of Michigan). I am going to keep looking though. There is a cancer center in Marquette I am going to call and see if they can help or maybe point me in the right direction.

The worst part of all of this for me has been the waiting. I am someone who likes to deal with whatever the problem or issue is right away. I also don't like not getting the answers I need from my doctor. I think your right about ob/gyn's especially mine, she really doesn't seem to have much knowledge when it comes to this issue.

Thanks again so much everyone. I will keep you updated on my appointment. If anyone else has some advice I would love to hear it, especially if someone has gone through something similar to this. Has someone here left the dysplasia and it turned invasive?

Thanks again,
Christina

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.