HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Bladder not emptying completely Bladder not emptying completely

Unread 03-24-2009, 03:02 PM
Bladder not emptying completely

Does anyone else feel like their bladder isn't emptying completely? I feel like I have to go all the time. Doesn't feel like a UTI.
Unread 03-24-2009, 03:46 PM

After surgery this seems pretty normal for a few months. The best thing to do is lots of kegals, do them whilst on the computer, do them at home when you go the bathroom..drink lots of water so you are really full, and wait until you are really busting. It will retrain everything. As a Nurse I was trained to do this to prevent problems in later life, well before I ever had surgery. Because I have always gone to the loo before going out, even if I had just gone, and all that sort of stuff, I came to understand that would not help my bladder structure to retain fluid. It might help if you sort of understood what gives us the urge to urinate. It's an irritation signal sent to the brain, so it can be irritation or fullness, and as is the case with me going out, even psychological. So train that pathway, let it be fullness.....and accept some irritation after surgery for a few months is normal. And do the kegals.
Unread 03-24-2009, 05:28 PM

Same problem here - I found that standing up and then sitting back down helps get more out.
Unread 03-24-2009, 06:12 PM

I actually felt this before my surgery so my GYN sent me to a urologist. Come to find out he had to stretch my urethra. It has helped but the narrowing can come back and the same procedure will have to be done. I too had a TAH and kept my right ovary.
Unread 03-25-2009, 10:37 AM

Yes I have this horrible sensation as well. I just can't hold much urine at all anymore and there are times when I got SEVERAL times in an hour.
I do not want to go to a urologist and get poked, prodded and scoped. Hoping that things will improve, but seeing that it's been 5 months, probably not.
Unread 03-26-2009, 11:13 AM
Re: Bladder not emptying completely

I have always had the "worlds smallest bladder" according to all my family and friends, I go pee about a million times a day. Went to urologist before all this OBGYN stuff to check for interstistial cystitis, check it out if you have had the issues before the surgery. Anywho, I had the cystoscopy and no sensitivity for the medicine they put in there. But I hold about half a coke can of urine in there after I releve myself as much as I feel I can go.... Haven't gone back to check into it any further due to the hysterectomy issue. Let me know if you go in and find out anymore.
Unread 03-26-2009, 11:23 AM
Re: Bladder not emptying completely

I felt like this for about a week after my surgery. I'm wondering if it might have something to do with having a catheter after surgery. I would pee, stand up, and feel like I had to go again. I found some posts on this site about this, and someone had commented on "retraining" the bladder. So thats what I've been doing and it helps. Instead of thinking, "I'm up, might as well pee" I wait til I actually have to go.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.