Post Hysterectomy Ovary trouble? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Separate Surgeries

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post Hysterectomy Ovary trouble? Post Hysterectomy Ovary trouble?

Unread 03-25-2009, 06:38 PM
Red face - Post Hysterectomy Ovary trouble? Post Hysterectomy Ovary trouble?

I am 8 weeks post op > had an abdominal hyst. while my ovaries were left in tact. In fact my OB after surgery told me that my ovaries 'looked beautiful' and that the surgery went perfectly ..yada, yada, yada....

Now 8 weeks post op, and back at work, and this past Saturday had to go to the ER for extreme pain in my lower left abdomen - I thought something was was going to explode! ER doc tested urine, which was ok - did a CBC blood test, which also came back ok, and did a pelvic where he said - seems like your left ovary is inflamed. He more then likely said that because when he was doing the pelvic and pushed on the spot on my abdomen I was like ...OH MY GAWD! Gave me some vicodan and said if it still hurt in a couple days to call my OB.

So today it is still hurting. Not to the extent it was on Saturday BUT I could not sleep on my stomach at all last night it was hurting so bad - plus I had to take vicodan to sleep - after the pain all day, my lower back was just aching like crazy - it was a gnawing ache. So, I go to the OB today and she does a vaginal ultrasound and said everything looked ok - said it couldn't be a cyst because 8 weeks ago my ovaries were beautiful.... she wasn't sure what was going on - she said no fever, no chills, no vomitting, and blood work and urine came back ok. Still she put me on an antibiotic and said if it was still hurting to call her and she would set up 'further' imaging - ..???

So, could it be my ovary? Could it possibly be a cyst? Growing that quickly? After reading so much on here it does appear that it is possible....any advice?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2009, 06:56 PM
Post Hysterectomy Ovary trouble?

Well my experiece was that my doctor said the same thing. I complained of pain to my right lower abdomen since my hysterectomy, for 4 months. My doctor kept saying it couldn't be my ovaries. After 4 months of complaining, 2 CT scans, and a lot of blood work and one major break down in my gyn's office, after 2 visits with the urologist and 1 visit to the GI doc, my doctor finally took me in for a lap. scope. He found my right ovary very inflammed and full of cyst and lots of adhesions. So bad that the left side of my colon was pulled over to the right side of my pelvis. He took a picture of my left ovary and it was normal so he left it. 10 days later I was in the ER with pain and fever. They did blood work and said I didn't have an infection. I followed up with my Gyn, he did an ultrasound at 2 weeks post op and found my left ovary had a large cyst and took me back to surgery that same day. I also had more adhesions. I was the same way, I couldn't lay on my stomach to sleep because the pain was so bad. I took pain medication for 4 months. My doctor kept saying it couldn't be my ovaries, but after the first ovary being removed, he said I am sorry and no wonder you were in pain. If it hurts that bad keep calling and don't let up until you are controlled with your pain. Just because your doctor has not had it happen doesn't mean it can't happen. I have pictures to prove it.
Unread 03-26-2009, 05:32 AM
Re: Post Hysterectomy Ovary trouble?

I chime in exactly with what Lisa said her and I are both prime examples of how quickly the ovaries can fail. The DR's did the same thing to me. I ended up with having to have two surgeries in the same month just like Lisa. Don't let the doctors fool you it can and does happen. Keep on top of them. Sometimes things don't show up on the ultrasounds or testing rare but does happen and did to me the tests came back ok but both of my ovaries had torsioned and I couldn't get the pain under control. No fever... was vomitting and severe pain. Hope this helps...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2009, 11:10 PM

Dont be fooled Ladies, I had my TAH ovaries left in & 5 weeks later i had
2 large cysts! One of them is on the right ovary & looks like i have to
have that ovary out & the other cyst as well.

I am not a happy camper on this one!
Unread 03-27-2009, 09:25 PM
Thumbs up - Post Hysterectomy Ovary trouble? Re: Post Hysterectomy Ovary trouble?

Thank you sisters for your replies! I mean it is logical that if they were 'beautiful' only 8-9 weeks ago, they should still be so 'beautiful'....and the Doc uses that logic BUT I have found others just like me! BAD ovaries..eeks!

So now the pain is dimishished. I will see how long until it crops it again...maybe next month same time? Curious!

Now I have an aching like crampy back - lower back and ohhhhh...but we will see where this leads.

Thanks again! At least I don't feel like I am crazy...LOL
Unread 03-29-2009, 05:00 PM

Hi girls,

I had an LSH on 3/19/09, 8 days post op I went to the Drs. and after doing a pelvic exam and pressing on my abdomen (extrememly painful) he said he felt a mass which he thinks is a cyst and I am going for a CT Scan tomorrow morning.

I am afraid of losing my ovaries at 37yrs. old.

Thanks for listening, it is reassuring to know I am not alone here.
Unread 03-29-2009, 06:53 PM

Hi Jennifer,

I hope that all goes well with your appt. Please let us know how you make out with the ultrasound and the doctors. I know it is a scary place to be right now..... My thoughts are with you.. Good luck
Unread 03-29-2009, 07:59 PM

Thank you Haven,

Do you know if it is unusual for the pain to diminish? I have been having a good day today. Is this something that can come and go? Can a cyst just go away?

This is all hard to swallow. I had been going to my OBGYN regularly for the last few months because of heavy bleeding and debilitating pain throughout the month, was given different options but to me all seemed like quick fixes not solving the problem. I decided that since my uterus did its job (4 children) that it was time to do the hysterectomy and fix it once and for all. This all happened within weeks, now this.

I'm sorry to ramble, I just have so many questions and it is so helpful to hear other peoples experience.

Again, Thank you Haven
Unread 03-29-2009, 08:09 PM

I did have days when the pain was not as bad as others, but was always there. My CT scans did not show all the cyst I had. It actually only showed one cyst, but I had nine. It depends on the cyst, but some cyst can rupture which is extremely painful. I know it is scarey to think about losing your ovaries at such a young age and that is why I tried so hard to hang on to them, but looking back I wish I would have requested for both of them to be removed at the same time. You just don't know what is going to happen. I have friends that kept their ovaries and have never had a problem. I wish you good luck and let us know how your scan goes..okay.
Unread 03-29-2009, 08:21 PM

Lisa,

Are we at greater risk for losing our ovaries because of PCOS?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register