HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

What are the best things to eat the day before surgery? What are the best things to eat the day before surgery?

Unread 03-27-2009, 09:18 AM
What are the best things to eat the day before surgery?

Hello everybody.

My surgery is this Monday and I was told by the nurse to eat a light dinner (soup was suggested) and nothing to eat or drink after midnight. Is it better to eat light, clear foods throughout the day? I want to be as prepared as possible. Thank you.

Ann
Unread 03-27-2009, 10:10 AM
Re: What are the best things to eat the day before surgery?

I was instructed to have nothing after midnight as well.

In the days leading up to my surgery, I ate a fair amount of yogurt, and for dinner the night before, I had a salad.

I didn't have any nausea following my surgery, and my bowels worked the day after surgery, which I guess is kind of unusual.

Good luck to you.
Unread 03-27-2009, 10:15 AM

I will be going to the castle on Monday as well! I have to do a bowel prep. I would suggest that you follow a bland diet and avoid gassy foods like broccoli or beans. Good luck on Monday.
Unread 03-27-2009, 10:41 AM

I was given no instructions other than the "nothing after midnight" speech. I had to give myself a fleet enema the night before. So, I had increased my veggie and fruit intake the week before. I wanted to make sure I avoided constipation before I had to give myself that enema! The night before surgery, I was so busy running around that DH ended up making hamburgers on the BBQ. Then, about 9pm, I had some pudding and an orange. I was worried about my tummy grumbling the next morning! I have GERD as well, so I was sure to tell my anaesthesiologist, and I woke up with NO nausea, no dizziness, no sore throat and no headaches!

Good luck to you!
Unread 03-27-2009, 03:16 PM

I wasn't given any instructions other than nothing to eat after midnight. I did eat foods that wouldn't cause me to be gassy. I was still gassy though. I also had a bad case of vomiting. I am very sensitive to anesthesia and this is not usually what happens.

Good luck, I'll be thinking of you.
Unread 03-27-2009, 03:17 PM

I was told to avoid anything greasy or spicy. My surgery was the day after Christmas, so I had my regular Christmas dinner. In the evening I had pie. It didn't cause me any physical problems, and it was very comforting for me on that high-anxiety day.
Unread 03-27-2009, 03:39 PM

Hi All!
I haven't been on this site for a long time as my TVH was over two years ago. I tried to "eat healthy" during the weeks leading up to my surgery so that I'd go into it at my best. The day before I ate normally and my MD didn't require any Prep (thank the good Lord). I tried to up my water intake the day before because I have trouble getting an IV started if I'm dehydrated. All went well.
The most important thing is for you to take very good care of yourself before and after your surgery. Talk to your self as if you were talking to your best friend and remember that your body does it's best healing when you are sleeping. So...take all the naps you can and be kind to yourself.
Blessings!
Unread 03-27-2009, 04:37 PM

I was told today at my pre-op, a clear diet the day before my surgery on Tuesday. No dairy, suggested jello, popsicles, clear broth, black tea or coffee, gatorade. Oh, and nothing after midnight Maybe I'll lose a pound or two!
Unread 03-27-2009, 07:38 PM

Dr. told me that I could have only clear liquids for TWO days prior to the surgery then nothing after midnight the night before. I tend to be constipated so I'm going to eat very light starting Wednesday, then the clear liquids Sunday and Monday. At least I don't have to do a bowel prep.
Unread 03-27-2009, 08:35 PM

I have to do a bowel prep on Sunday before my Monday surgery. So my last supper will be on Saturday. I was told a liquid diet for Sunday so that the bowel prep won't be as bad as it could be with a heavy meal.
Liquid diet was jello, popsicles( no Citrus juice) broth of any kind, gingerale, tea with no cream, another words bland!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.