HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Is getting a cold more likely after surgery? Is getting a cold more likely after surgery?

Unread 03-28-2009, 05:18 PM
Is getting a cold more likely after surgery?

Hi everyone. I am 4 weeks post-op from TAH/BSO, and just got a very bad cold, which is unusual for me. Neither DH nor I have had any colds in years, and this one is really getting me down. Ever since we started getting flu shots, neither one of us has had a cold. I'm guessing that my immune system is not up to speed yet. Has anyone else had this happen in their post-op life?
Unread 03-28-2009, 06:25 PM
Re: Is getting a cold more likely after surgery?

I do not get colds often, either, but I got a bad one 3 wks post-op and went to my GP doctor asking for help right away. Usually I let it run its course and let my immune system fight it, but I couldn't handle the pain from the coughing. It went away quickly with treatment, but then I got ANOTHER one around 6 wks post-op. Geez. I think the surgery and recovery is a big stress, and your immune system could be affected. Take care of yourself! I am now 7 mos post-op, feeling fantastic, and feeling like my immune system is back to normal... no more colds since.
Unread 03-28-2009, 06:30 PM

I got a stomach flu from DH at about 3 weeks. It's not like I never get sick but I took it for granted I was more susceptible because all my energy is going into healing.
Unread 03-28-2009, 06:34 PM

I have had more sinus infections this year than ever before and right now I am down with a nagging bout of bronchitis. I have never, ever had bronchitis.

Now, I am not blaming my hyster for getting sick so much this year, but I think the surgery took more out of me than I thought and I seem to have caught every little bug that crawled past me this winter! Teaching 4th grade hasn't helped because I'm around soooo many germs. Normally, I get a cold once in a blue moon. Doc just keeps prescribing antibiotics this year-- maybe I should take out some stock in the drug companies, eh?

OK, maybe it IS the hyster's fault!
Unread 03-28-2009, 06:49 PM

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'm not unusual. The doc said that it was fine for me to walk as much as is comfortable. Perhaps I have been overdoing it, as DH and I walked 4 miles yesterday and 3 miles today. I have been walking at least 2 miles 3 times a week since 2 weeks after surgery. There is no pain or discomfort, but maybe it uses energy that I should leave for healing. It is supposed to rain the next 2 days, so I will just relax around the house. I guess I'm not as good as I feel 4 weeks out.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.