HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Alcohol before surgery Alcohol before surgery

Unread 03-29-2009, 09:52 PM
Alcohol before surgery

Okay, now I'm worried. I just read in an earlier post that you're not supposed to have alcohol two weeks prior to surgery? Is that really true? I'm one week away and I just had two glasses of wine with dinner tonight.Oops!
Unread 03-29-2009, 11:13 PM
Re: Alcohol two weeks before surgery

Hi njtaurian!

If your surgeon did not want you to indulge in alcoholic beverages prior to surgery, he or she would have advised you of this.

I didn't have any ban on any food or beverages prior to my surgery, so I wouldn't worry about this if I were you. If you have any doubts, be sure to phone your doctor's office and check to be sure.

Unread 03-30-2009, 01:48 AM
Re: Alcohol before surgery

Hi there,

I must admit I had a glass of wine 2 days before my surgery which went off without a hitch. However, it probably is wise to not drink alcohol one or two weeks before surgery as it thins your blood as does aspirin. My doctor did not give me any instructions on this either but it makes sense and I have had surgery before where they have requested abstinence of aspirin and alcohol for a week prior to surgery. Just let your doctor know if you are concerned and I'm sure he/she can advise you appropriately. Hugs, Kay
Unread 03-30-2009, 06:57 AM

I enjoy a glass of wine at bedtime. I asked my dr about it before my surgery and was told that it was ok to have one glass but not more
I agree that asking your dr is a good idea - they seem to all have different perferences.

Unread 03-30-2009, 09:57 AM

I would say ask your doctor. Everyone is different. Mine told me 48 hours before surgery.
Unread 03-30-2009, 11:24 AM

I had no limitations, but I did stop my usual wine consumption (glass or two, mainly in the weekends) 4-5 days before surgery.
Unread 03-30-2009, 01:14 PM

My doctor never even mentioned alcohol. But if you are nervous about it go ahead and ask you doctor.
Unread 03-30-2009, 01:27 PM

I did not have any food or drink limitations before my surgery. In fact I had a couple of glasses of wine 2 days before my surgery. I didn't have any problems with my surgery due to the alcohol. If you are worried about it give your doc a quick call.

Good luck
Unread 03-30-2009, 01:27 PM

Ok, to make you feel better - I'll fess up - I was told not to drink or have asprin before the surgery - but it was my best friends bd the sat before my surgery and we all went out and celebrated - with vodka - 3 drinks for the night - wow - got very happily buzzed - and I was fine for the surgery.
We all take risks here and there, I guess, or I'm just the risk taker kind. If there were complications I'd probably be mad at myself, but I did it anyway.
I am a coward, and didn't mention it to the doc. either, fear of getting the reprimand I guess. But. that being said, I think if you are brave - I'd mention it to the doctor and just them a heads up. (Why am I so afraid of doctors?)
Unread 03-30-2009, 07:25 PM

I just had my pre-op today, I had read that about the 2 weeks no alcohol. Iasked my Dr today she told me it was fine to drink, but not to come hungover the day of surgery. So she told me to go for it & have a good time this weekend. I guess every Dr has different opinions, but I will be having my last couple of beers until I recover this weekend!

Laura TAH 4/7/2009

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.