HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Returning back to work after hysterectomy Returning back to work after hysterectomy

Unread 03-30-2009, 04:23 PM
Returning back to work after hysterectomy

Okay I had a hysterectomy with the Da vinci on March 9 2009. They removed my uterus and my right ovary. I am starting the 4th week of recovery and I am supposed to go back to work on April 7. My job requires so much lifting that I am afraid it will cause problems. I lift on an average of 4000 lbs in a day 5 days a week. I read an article that women who have a regular hysterectomy need 6 weeks before doing any of these things. It also said that if a woman has a vaginal hysterectomy and they do a lot of lifting that they should take the 6 weeks so there is no chance of vaginal vault prolapse. I go back to my Dr. on the 6th and I am going to seriously have him reconsider. Has anyone had any problems like this?
Unread 03-30-2009, 04:35 PM
Re: Returning back to work after hysterectomy

You seriously lift 4000 lbs (two tons) a day??? Do you use equipment???? Like a fork lift???? or are you exaggerating (like I often do)????

I sit at a desk, I lift paper and water bottles (my own) and answer phones and drive around and look at property (I manage income property) and at 6 weeks, I couldn't work more than 3 hours in a row without lying down on the floor and putting my feet up on the sofa and taking a 30 minute "rest" (thank God I have an office with a small sofa in it, and a door that I can close so the rest of the folks here don't have to stare at me).

If I had your job, I would ask for all the time off I could get, and then some. Good luck to you. Mindy
Unread 03-30-2009, 04:46 PM

your dr will probably sign you out for longer if he feels you shouldnt be lifting so soon. good luck!
Unread 03-30-2009, 05:36 PM

No Im not exaggerating. I work in a factory. When I have to put my base in at the beginning of the day, there are 70 bags @33.75 lbs each. Then I have 50 lb boxes of yeast, 55 lb bags of dry milk and i handle these things all day for 8 hrs. It is a very strenious job. Thats what scares me. I had a thermal ablation in 2007 and was off work for 3 days. There were no problems but this is a more serious surgery.

Thanks for the input though
Unread 03-30-2009, 06:13 PM

Since you have such a physically challenging job, I would hope your Dr would sign you off for a few more weeks. Gah! I do no lifting at all being a dental asst and I was still completely exhausted after work when I went back after 6 wks. Just bending over too much can make my insides start aching and pinching me and I'm 12 wks today.
Unread 03-30-2009, 06:37 PM

Yea I hope if its gonna hurt me in any way he will keep me off. I had 5 incisions and they are healed up except one and it opened up today. Im just not crazy about all of this. I will keep you posted. It is awesome to have someone to talk to this stuff about, my husband dont have a clue. Bless his heart he tries though.
Unread 03-30-2009, 09:46 PM

I had a TVH on 3/2/09 and my doctor has insisted 6 weeks of no lifting more than 10lbs. I work as a para educator(teaching assistant) for our school district and my job is 99% in the office but I am still not able to go back to work until the 14th when I have all restrictions lifted. I definitely would talk to your doctor, I know mine would say stay home longer.

Hope this helps
Amy TVH 3/2/09
fibroids, endo, and severe and anemia
no more 21 day periods Yeah!!
Unread 03-31-2009, 06:10 AM

You are right, it might be a little too soon to resume that amount of heavy lifting! Does your employer have another position you can be put in to for awhile without taking a pay cut? If not, I would talk to your about writing you an extension on your leave.

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

Unread 03-31-2009, 06:14 AM

Unfortunately at my job you have to be abe to return to work with NO restrictions when it is something that did not happen at work.
Unread 03-31-2009, 08:21 AM

I had to return to work with NO restritions as well. My Dr. let me stay home for 8 weeks. After the 1st long week back I was tired.....slept like a LOG!!!

Hope your Dr. reconsiders, because that is WAY to much Physical Activity in my opionion!! GOOD LUCK!!!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.