HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Sleeping on side Sleeping on side

Unread 04-23-2009, 01:34 PM
Sleeping on side

This may be a strange question but here goes...is it okay to sleep on your side after a TAH? I've always been a side sleeper. For the first two weeks after surgery I slept on my back primarily because I was told "something has to fill that space and you want it to be the intestines not the bladder". But I miss sleeping on my side. Like I said, it's a strange question but I want to be sure I'm not doing any "damage" if I sleep on my side.
Unread 04-23-2009, 02:08 PM
Re: Sleeping on side

I have never heard anything about this, and have been sleeping on my side every day since the surgery. Be careful turning over though, and you may want to sleep with a pillow between your knees - it's more comfy.
Unread 04-23-2009, 02:24 PM

I also have been sleeping on my left side. Funny thing is I have always slept on left side and the left side of my abdomen is flatter than the right. The right which I don't sleep on is prtruding more. I also get some pains in left side about waist on and off. Im day 19 post. Everything removed. I am also having loose stool and regular stools. I don't know why I am on oxygen I am anemic. They never told me anything and I dont see Dr until 6 weeks He a very popular Gynecological Oncologist. Opening a cancer treatment center. Thing is I don't know if any this normal . This sight is myonlysource of information.

LAVH Everything removed
Unread 04-23-2009, 03:14 PM

I'm the same way! I want to sleep on my side but it hurts. I'm overweight so my saggy skin pulls on my insicion site. It's awful. I just grunt and groan when I roll over and try stuffing pillows and blankets under my fat belly. Well I dunno what to tell you though hon. I don't see why there'd be a problem with it but I'm not a doctor. When in doubt, do what feels good on your body.
Unread 04-23-2009, 03:58 PM

Sleeping on your side is fine once you can do it without pain. Pillows under the tummy and between the knees help. A body pillow is a great thing!
Unread 04-23-2009, 06:17 PM

I asked my doc at my week check and was told "No sleeping on your side until after the end of the 2nd week. Then only sleep on your side if there is no pressure, pain or tugging feeling. If any of those occur, get back over on your back or lay propped up 1/2 way on your side with pillows, if that doesn't have any of the things I said associated with it" OK, so at the end of 2 weeks, I could lay on my side for about 30 minutes with no problem and it has gotten better since then. I now sleep most of the night on my side with no pain, pulling, tugging or pressure feelings. Some docs will tell you different, and of course, it is best to follow each individual docs orders!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.