HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

I wish I had of found this support before my hyster! I wish I had of found this support before my hyster!

Unread 04-28-2009, 06:48 AM
I wish I had of found this support before my hyster!

Hi I am new to this, so hopefully i am doing this right. I had my full vaginal hysterecotomy on Thursday 23rd April. Stayed 5 days in hospital due to underlying bowel complications (Severe spasms, which seem to be under control now) Got home yesterday with only a minimal of pain. I wish i had of found this support group before my op. I was an emotional mess and didn't realise it would be be like that! I cried everytime a nurse, my doctor and antheatis came to see me. I was still crying in the theatre room so the Aneathatis gave me a couple of shots of what he called "happy juice" to calm me down. They were all so supportive. My husband has been fantastic and a great support. The hardest thing for me now is to rest and not worry that my house is not in order. I can't seem to relax until i know all is how it should be. I know it isn't going anywhere but still difficult all the same as i am so use to having everything in it's place. I have a little discomfort and find it hard to get comfortable and my tummy is a little sore, but over all i feel ok. I had sever case of endiometis, fybroids in my uterus and my right ovary had decided to attach itself to my bowel (hence the bowel complications i was having which I still need to get investigated once i am recovered.
Thank you for letting me share my feelings!
Unread 04-28-2009, 09:07 PM
Re: I wish I had of found this support before my hyster!

Welcome! Remember, the house can wait. Many of our sisters have done housework and ended up paying for it for days after. Glad to hear you are feeling well and rid of your endo and fibroids!
Unread 04-28-2009, 11:01 PM

Do you have a friend that could come over and help straighten up a bit? My messy house drove me nuts too, but I would putter around and do one thing, then rest, then do something else. Nothing heavy though. You need to rest a lot and try not to let it bother you. Easier said than done, I know.

Good luck and I hope you heal very quickly!
Unread 04-29-2009, 01:29 AM

My sister came this morning and helped get the girls off to school (first day back today from holidays) and made beds and did a tidy up for me which was great. She is like me and did the same job as i would. I tried to help by getting the ironing ready for hubby to drop off and bent too much digging for the clothes at bottom of basket (tall deep one) Wasn't a good idea cause i have had pains all day. hubby told me off and said i wasn't to do anything at all. Pain killers are not helping today. They are right even if you do feel good, it pays to still not do anything. I realise that now with pain I am feeling. It will be easier now they are back at school. My friends have been suppotive too, I had a couple come over on Sunday night with a heap of meals to put in the freezer that they had been cooking all day for us which was wonderful. The little things with family and friends around really do help!
Unread 04-29-2009, 08:01 AM

What the heck is it with all you over achievers??? As a non perfectionist housekeeper I will tell you a secret, it takes way more than 4 weeks for a clean house to become a health hazard. I will throw in a second secret for free, if a bed is unmade, no matter how long it stays unmade, you will only have to make it once. If it stays unmade for 4 weeks, at the 4 week mark all it will take to fix it is to make it. Pretty much the same with sweeping, dusting and the majority of household chores. Laundry is another story mind you. Make hubby do the laundry.

Seriously, get with the program! This opportunity will probably never come your way again. Grab the TV remote and your box of bon bons and let yourself replenish physically, mentally and spiritually. Sit still for crying out loud, it isn't scary. And you will be amazed to realise how much you really need to.
Unread 04-29-2009, 09:08 PM

I thought this was a support group for "support' not to be ridiculed for being who i am and put down. I was only sharing my feelings. I said it was going to be difficult. I am resting and enjoying it. I am emotional enough now with out feeling bad about the person I am. I can't help the way I am, this is how I have been forever. I am doing my best!
Unread 05-01-2009, 08:04 AM

Eecart, Nobody doubts that you're doing your best - we all are!! This is ROUGH surgery and all of us are handling it differently. One of the things I love about this site is that we get all different viewpoints and lots of suggestions. It's very rare to post a question and have all the responses suggest the same thing, and lovely to get to try different things until we find what works for us.
Unread 05-01-2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
thought this was a support group for "support' not to be ridiculed for being who i am and put down.
I'm sorry, I really was not ridiculing you. Mostly I was mocking my own housekeeping as a way to reassure you about relaxing while you are recouping.

I hope you are feeling better.
Unread 05-01-2009, 10:16 AM

Eecart, I too had endo. had TAH on 4/24. I just keep telling myself I went into this with pain I never want to have again. A few weeks of taking it easy to make sure I feel like the "new woman" I want to feel like is going to be worth it.
Unread 05-01-2009, 03:10 PM

It is a good learning process for those of us who want things exactly our way, who do not want to ask for help etc. That was me before all these medical issues. I have learned to ask for help and relax about little things in life, our health is what really matters.

I have had multiple friends help with laundry and I had to laugh when I looked in my linen closet. It was like toddlers had been playing in there. I closed the door and left it, this weekend I am planning to pull it all out and refold everything. In the past I would have had a fit about the state of things, I am proud of me letting it sit for a couple of weeks.

My friends have actually pointed out that I am more relaxed about things now. They have also seen me at my worst, and I had to let them help. Putting socks on me, taking me to ER etc. I makes me realise what amazing friends I have, and how I can let go. Wrongly folded pillow cases did not stop the world.

Eecart, it will all be fine. Have some of those bon bons Laterbloomer was talking about, and make somebody else put the wrappers in trash for you!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.