HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

Estradiol not working suddenly after 1-1/2 years Estradiol not working suddenly after 1-1/2 years

Unread 04-28-2009, 07:38 AM
Estradiol not working suddenly after 1-1/2 years

Hello everyone!

I had an LAVH at 21 years of age (long story). I had serious complications, was in the hospital for months, and the whole disaster ended with me having to have both ovaries removed (not the original plan).

I've been on HRT ever since. For the past year and a half, I've been taking Estrace (estradiol) 2mg, 21 days on, 7 days off. I'm good about taking the medication at the same time every day.

For the past two months or so, I've been having these problems:

- Hot flashes - severe, every day (they blend into each other)
- Zits - not just on my face, but also on my neck, chest, back, shoulders, and I've even noticed a few on my forearms. They're small and not red or inflamed. I exfoliate my skin regularly.
- Hair falling out - this has been going on for longer than 2 months. You really can't tell, though, because my hair is still very thick and I have no bald spots.
- Oily hair - it seems that no matter what shampoo or conditioner I use, or even if I skip the conditioner altogether, my hair is a greasy, oily, flat mess with no body, which is so different from the way it has always been.
- Night sweats - really bad over the past week. I'm waking up drenched - it's gross!

I feel like these symptoms are all over the place.

Can a particular HRT medication stop working all of a sudden? I'm seeing my doctor this Thursday, and I'm trying to research my options before I see her.

If anyone can share some advice, experience, insight...I'd really appreciate it.
Unread 04-28-2009, 09:32 AM
Re: Estradiol not working suddenly after 1-1/2 years

Make sure and check to see if your Estrace manufacturer changed at all on your script?Ive had that happen on several of my medications that just didnt seem to be working the same, and found out they gave me another manufacturer that they were using? just a thought?
Your hormones are prob adjusting again, my doc told me they can do it at anytime without warning. Check with your doc and have all your hormone levels checked again, including your testosterone, DHEA.
Unread 04-28-2009, 11:23 AM

Hi OddBod84 (you've got to wonder about some of our screen names!)

I second what gursie said about seeing if your pharmacy has switched to another generic. It's not supposed to matter according to the FDA, but it does sometimes.

Otherwise, it does sound as if your estrogen needs are not being met any more. When estrogen gets too low you get hot, plus the testosterone that you do have gets to express itself more, hence the oily hair, zits, and hair loss.

I'm curious, if you have no uterus or ovaries, why are you cycling your hormones? I would think the fluctuations from that would give you symptoms even if the dose is OK.

I hope you and your dr can sort it all out.
Unread 04-28-2009, 11:43 AM

Hi,
I too am curious about why you're cycling hormones if you have no ovaries. That would create a week of low estrogen, then your body has to readjust and then adjust again as you start them again. Seems strange that you'd be cycling. Sounds like you need more estrogen to me, the appearance of male andropause symptoms (zits, hair falling out, greasy hair, etc) are apparent.

I might request to have thyroid checked too at your dr appointment as that can screw up everything if it gets out of whack. Good luck, keep us posted.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.