HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

What can I do to get rid of the gas pains? What can I do to get rid of the gas pains?

Unread 04-29-2009, 08:31 AM
What can I do to get rid of the gas pains?

I am 2 days post op, and the gas pain is so bad, I literally double over in bed, and cry. I have tried gas-x and the pain medicine the doctor gave me, but nothing is relieving the pain from gas. I drank the prun juice last night and within an hour was on the toilet going. That didn't hurt, but this gas if it is gas, is really getting the best of me. It is up under my right rib, and is making it hard to breath. What can I do to help ease "or get rid of the pain" I am 24 years old, and although I had a c-section and experienced the same pain after my son I was at the hospital where they could treat it with meds of there own. Now at home I feel like a big cry baby because I am crying and so on. What can I do?
Unread 04-29-2009, 08:35 AM
Re: What can I do to get rid of the gas pains?

It was at least 5 day post Op before I got all the gas out, it also took 5 days to take the first BM. It will get better with time : ) I tried all themeds also and none worked for me.

7 days post OP
april 22 LAVH leaving one ovary
endometriosis
adenomyosis
PID
TLS
Unread 04-29-2009, 08:56 AM

Gas-X might work for intestinal gas, but if the gas is from the CO2 that was used during your surgery the Gas-X won't help. I'm concerned that you say you have trouble breathing from this pain. Please call your doctor about this, as shortness of breath is one of the things I was told to report to the doctor immediately as it can be a symptom of a blood clot. Please let us know what the doctor says.
Unread 04-29-2009, 08:57 AM

I also found the gas one of the worst parts of the recovery... Walking is what seemed to help me the most, during the day I would walk around my house about every hour... Not sure if it was time passing or the walk that helped...
Good luck to you...
Unread 04-29-2009, 09:08 AM

Walking does help! I walked laps around my hospital room the day after my surgery because it was the only thing that helped alleviate the gas.

I'm sorry you are in such pain. The gas really is the worst part!
Unread 04-29-2009, 10:01 AM

This may sound silly, and I don't know what kind of surgery you had, so you may not be able to do it, but here goes.

Last year when I had my right ovary removed, at my pre-op visit, my favorite nurse gave me this trick to get rid of that gas that they use to blow you up during surgery.

Sit on your knees on the couch, and bend over and put your head on the couch. The idea is to get your butt higher than your head. Gas rises, so if your butt is higher, the gas will go back down and not be up under your rib. My pain got as high as my shoulder, but this seemed to help.

That being said, my surgery was laparoscopic, so I was able to get into that position. If yours was abdominal, I don't think you'd better try it!

LAVH February 09
Adenomyosis
Endometriosis
Ovarian Cysts
Unread 04-29-2009, 10:16 AM

I had this terrible pain for many days after my surgery. It was actually worse after I had my surgery to remove my right ovary. It hurt as high as between my shoulder blades.
I walked and tried to move as much as possible.
Unread 04-29-2009, 10:34 AM

Walking and also rocking in a rocking chair lean your head all the way back against the chair and rock. A friend told me about this and it helped. Also walking especially after you eat. This is the worst part, I had gas pains for the first 2 weeks and this is the worst part of the surgery. Like someone else said about raising your butt up that helps too, I couldn't do that because I had an abdominal incision and I just couldn't do it at that time, I was too sore. But if you can do that it helps alot. Take care, it will get better, trust me, I am at 3 weeks and I am starting to feel normal again, it just takes time don't over do it. You only get one chance to recover.
Unread 05-01-2009, 08:38 PM

Hi my name is Kim and I had my surgery Monday and I to have very severe pain on my right side under rib cage and headaches and i wondered what you found out about pain under rib cage....It hurts to get a deep breath also...I hope you start feeling better soon.......

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway