HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

How long after LSH do you stop bleeding How long after LSH do you stop bleeding

Unread 05-22-2009, 12:11 AM
How long after LSH do you stop bleeding

I started bleeding a week after my LSH on 4/22/09. Though light (soaks a maxi panty liner daily), i am still bleeding 4 weeks after.

PLEASE SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCE.
Unread 05-22-2009, 12:16 AM
Re: How long after LSH do you stop bleeding

I did the exact same thing ... All of a sudden a week later I am bleeding or how they put it having discharge.... I thought it was crazy that it took a week for anything to happen... I heard from my rn that it can take up to 8 weeks to completely be ok and stop... I hope that helps.. I know it doesn't sound great but atleast it gives you an answer...
Unread 05-22-2009, 12:24 AM

Kristy -

Thanks for your prompt response. It does give me comfort that what I am experiencing is not unusual.

I appreciate it.
Unread 05-22-2009, 12:39 AM

Your very welcome sweetie..... Yeah i thought it was just a tad weird myself and i get scared over alot so ya know i had to ask ten different drs.. and a bunch of rn's I am still in the hospital.. I had my hysterectomy on may 12, and went home last friday then ended up back on monday casue of fevers... Hematoma.... and now I just sit and wait they drained it but ... now i am waiting on a second cultral ya know... ugh .. I have anxiety and panic so this all really is getting to me... I am so filled up with antibotics my eye balls are floating... I just want to be ok and get home.. My incesion looks great they took out my staples today.... I have no clue... Drs. are good sometimes and sometimes they scare me for no reason..
Unread 05-22-2009, 06:03 AM

i honestly cant remember how much i had the first few weeks. if any, it wasnt heavy at all. but around four weeks i did bleed heavy with clots and i havent bled since.
Unread 05-22-2009, 06:13 AM

Okay, I am new to the site and the whole situation so someone tell me what LSH means? Thanks I guess I need to learn the lingo here. ha ha!
Unread 05-22-2009, 08:32 AM

laparoscopic supracervical hysterectomy. They go in through little holes in your abdomen and there isn't as much recovery time. It's a great option if your surgeon knows how to do it and you are eligible for it physically.

Can't answer the bleeding question. I haven't had a drop of anything since the LSH 4 weeks ago.
Unread 05-22-2009, 09:57 AM

As for me since my LSH on 3-6-09 I NEVER stopped bleeding since day one.... I had complications and my cervix never would stop bleeding .. the doctor had to go back in on May 13th 2009 and do a trachelectomy to remove my cervix.... I am now 7 days post op and light spotting... my obgyn says he expects that to happen this time .... other than the back pain I have had from this last surgery I am doing better..... my obgyn had mentioned to me that with an LSH if you choose to keep your cervix you may spot some every month around the time that you would usually have your cycle....he said it is possible....... I hope that it gets better for you .....
really important to take it easy... the more you try to do the more you will spot... at least that's what I did....
Take care....... Best wishes.......
Unread 05-22-2009, 10:20 AM

I had a LSH on monday the 18th of May I have not had one drop of blood. I wore a pad for the first two days but nothing happen, so I took it off. Does everyone bleed? Should I bring that pad box back out of the drawer? Might i bleed later? I had a LSH keep everything else.
Unread 05-22-2009, 10:39 AM

Bleeding after any type of hysterectomy can occur and last for about 4-8 weeks. If bleeding is bright red and fills a pad an hour, call your doctor ASAP or head to ER.

Not everyone bleeds following surgery so it is okay if you don't and usually okay if you do. Increased activity and over doing it can increase any discharge.

One thing to keep in mind for those who do retain the cervix and at least one ovary, mini periods can occur. The cervix can include endometrial lining that can respond to your hormones. Some ladies find that if their cervix was cauterized, they do not bleed. Others find they bleed anyway.

If you have any concerns about any bleeding, call your doctor and ask if what you are experiencing is okay for you

S

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.