HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Separate Surgeries

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

lap ovary removal and D&C what to expect? lap ovary removal and D&C what to expect?

Unread 05-28-2009, 05:59 AM
Lightbulb - lap ovary removal and D&C what to expect? lap ovary removal and D&C what to expect?

I am having hysteroscopy to remove uterine endometrial growths, D&C, lap scope, and ovary removal due to cysts on June 9. Preop on June 5. Doc told me she'd remove ovary through bellybutton? Also said I should take 2 weeks off work. Says procedure is routine and done all the time. I've read many posts here, but I wonder if someone can give me a list of what to expect in terms of pain level and recovery if everything goes well? I'm not great with pain and I have three children between 5 and 9 to raise.

Also, I've read some posts here about having to open people up due to external adhesions on ovaries. Can you tell doc not to do that? Really don't want that to happen without my prior knowledge. Pros and cons?

Thanks! You are a wonderful group of "sisters."
Unread 05-28-2009, 11:36 AM
Re: lap ovary removal and D&C what to expect?

Does your doctor expect adhesions to be a problem necessitating converting your surgery to a laparotomy? Often the consent forms for a lap surgery state that you consent to your doctor converting to an abdominal cut if necessary. If you do not wish for your doctor to convert to be able to complete your surgery, you will need to talk to her about what to do. It is possible that she will not want to do surgery at all if she cannot convert to an abdominal incision if necessary. She may be able to tell you exactly what would occur before she would convert and share with you how often it has been necessary for her to convert in the past. She may have to stop your surgery without completely all of the necessary procedures if you do not wish her to convert and you would need to schedule a second surgery for a later date if a laparotomy is needed. Likely there are other scenarios as well.

The pros of letting your doctor convert would be one surgery, less time under anesthesia, one recovery, etc. The cons would be a longer healing period, bigger incision, maybe more pain with recovery.

I would suggest you sit down and carefully discuss your feelings with your doctor prior to surgery. You might want to schedule a consultation type appointment to go over these issues prior to your Pre Op appointment.

I have had a hysteroscopy, laparosocpy (endo was cleaned up from a variety of places including ovaries), and D&C all at the same time. However, I did not have an ovary removed. I did well following the surgery and don't really remember pain after the first day. I was uncomfortable a bit but not really in a lot of pain. I was tired but I was able to care for my 3 and 5 year olds and even took a trip a few hours from home about a week after surgery.

I had an incision in my belly button and one at the pubic bone. Both were about an inch long. It was day surgery so I was sent home after I was awake and could use the restroom.

I wish you all the best for your upcoming procedure and hope it goes well!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.