HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Burning/Stinging Pain between belly button and abdomenal incision Burning/Stinging Pain between belly button and abdomenal incision

Unread 05-30-2009, 08:53 AM
Burning/Stinging Pain between belly button and abdomenal incision

I'm 6 weeks and 5 days post-op. Two days ago I passed a dime size blood clot and considering I haven't bled at all since my surgery, it kind of worried me. I decided to just wait and see if any more would pass before calling the doctor since I have an appointment with him next Wednesday. Well, yesterday I woke up with a burning/stinging sensation between my abdominal incision and my belly button, at first it was just slight but now it's gotten to the point where if anything slightly touches that spot it starts burning again. Has anyone ever had anything like this? It's almost like the burning that I had right after my surgery going down my leg, my doc told me that could be the blood trying to reabsorb itself. But now i'm almost 7 weeks post-op?????
Unread 05-30-2009, 10:02 AM
Re: Burning/Stinging Pain between belly button and abdomenal incision

if it were me, i'd let my dr know that i passed that clot and that i had a burning sensation that i hadnt had in weeks. usually new pain should be checked.
Unread 05-30-2009, 10:15 AM

I had a c-sec, which uses the same type of cut, and I have a spot like you talked about that is numb all the time. My OB said because they cut all the nerves and muscle, I will always be numb there. Maybe your nerves are actually trying to reconnect them selves. Other c-sec moms I have talked to have the same numb spot. As for the blood, another Hister Sister just told me that she had a bunch of bleeding about four weeks post-op, and it was the stiches. Maybe that is what you had. But you should still ask your Dr or the nurse.
Hope that helps, take care.
Unread 05-30-2009, 11:10 AM

See, that's the thing...I've had 2 c-sections and don't remember anything like this, but then again my surgery was originally going to be with the scope but when he made the incision at my belly button he said there was so much scar tissue he couldn't make anything out so he had to do the abdominal and when he got in there he cleaned it all out and I had fibroid tumors not only inside my uterus but outside also. So I'm hoping like you said it's just the nerves trying to repair themselves and not something else. I am definitely going to call him and see what he thinks, i just feel like i've been such a pest having to contact him so much with all my hormone/anger/emotionalhot/cold/etc.. feelings and such trying to get my meds worked out. Was just hoping maybe someone other than myself on here was going through something similar to confirm and i wouldn't have to bother him Thank you guys so much for your help.
Unread 05-30-2009, 11:31 AM

Don't feel strange about calling your doctor. I had to call mine about every day last week. My bladder quit working, I have been dizzy, and calling him or the nurse lots. If your surgeon cares, it will not bother him if you call that much.
Unread 05-30-2009, 12:13 PM

Definitely call your doc, but I posted about just this type of pain earlier this week -- same type of stinging or burning and in the same location. Several sisters have reported it also -- at different times post op. We're thinking it's probably where the fascia was cut and the muscles stretched apart and held by retractors during the surgery ?? and are now healing. Or the nerves, like raebees said. Or they are still healing but irritated -- were you more active before this happened, or did you do any "new" or unusual activities?

But given how far post op you are, I'm sure a call to your doc would be reassuring.
Unread 05-30-2009, 12:28 PM

Oh, thank goodness...I was afraid I was the only one with this issue. Actually, I did sweep and mop but I was very careful in doing so. That also made me afraid I tore something. It's feeling a lot better right now but I haven't been doing anything but taking it easy today. I have an appointment with my dr on Wed. but if the burning comes back like it was I will call him. Thank you so much, you have given me some relief (mentally) just knowing that I'm not alone.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.