HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

ovary function & sex life after hysterectomy? ovary function & sex life after hysterectomy?

Unread 05-30-2009, 02:02 PM
ovary function & sex life after hysterectomy?

Hi Ladies,
I'm a 32 year old currently recovering from my LAVH due to a cervical cancer stage 1a1 diagnosis. Luckliy the pathology reports show that it was microinvasive with no spread beyond the cervix. My ovaries are still intact and the surgeon said they looked healthy. I'm only 2weeks 1day into my recovery, but very worried about how my ovaries will function. I keep reading about women who keep their ovaries, but due to decreased blood flow or shock of surgery, they malfunction. My doctor keeps acting like that won't happen to me and I'll be fine. But after hearing some startling statistics, I'm not so sure. I guess that I just wait and see. Can anyone who is of premenapausal age and had a hysterectomy without ovary removal please tell me what your experience has been? Did your ovaries work right away or did they take a while to kick back in after surgery? If so, how long did it take them to start working again? If they didn't work at all, how did you know and what did you do about it? What symptoms alerted you to the fact that they weren't working? Also, does anyone have any suggestions or advice to help ease any pain or uncomfortablness the first few times I have intercourse? Is there any special creams/lubricants or positions that may help?I would love any advice at all. I'm still having PTSD just from my hemmoraging 5 days after my LEEP procedure, not to mention the cancer diagnosis and then a hysterectomy right away. This all happened within 1-2 months after being told in Nov. that my cervix looks really healthy and never having an abnormal pap in my life! Anyway, I would love for anyone who has been through this to share their experiences. thanks!
kcscott522
LAVH 5/15/09
kept ovaries
cervical cancer
Unread 05-30-2009, 05:23 PM
Re: ovary function & sex life after hysterectomy?

Hi, I also had cervical cancer, and I believe that my ovaries were whacked out right after surgery for at least a month or so. I began to experience night sweats, mood swings, inability to concentrate, irritability and anxiety. I told my doctor about this during a check up, and he had a blood test ran that measured how well my ovaries were functioning, it came back that I was within the 'normal' range. Okay, the test was towards the tail end of these menopause symptoms but it still wasn't "normal" for me. Another thing that really disturbed me, my first orgasm was so weak it was barely worth the effort, I went back to my doctor and he told me to wait a bit longer and if I was still having problems he would refer me to a sex therapist. After being post op 12 weeks, I'm happy to say I found out that my orgasms were 'back', maybe even better than before. You asked about sex, it varies when women can go back to having it, I was told to wait 6 weeks by my doctor, then when he examined me my 7th week post op he told me to wait another 4 weeks, so my wait time was 11 weeks for 'anything in the vagina'. Just make sure you get the all clear from your doc and that your partner understands your need to feel safe and okay, take it slow and try different positions and lubes to see what works best for you personally. I know exactly what you mean about how traumatizing all this is, even months later I am still dealing with thoughts and emotions that disturb me and cause anxiety. You're definitely in the right place for support and advice, there are lots of wonderful ladies here willing to share their experiences and knowledge. Feel free to get in touch with me if you just need someone who has 'been there' to listen to you! (((HUGS))) Feel better soon!

PS YAY! your path report was GREAT NEWS!
Unread 05-30-2009, 09:27 PM

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. It makes me feel so much better! It looks like you had some lymph nodes taken. I'm still a bit worried because they didn't take lymphnodes from me. My Dr. said my risk for lymph node involvement was very low, but I'm still nervous about the possiblity of something being missed. So you're not having any issues with ovary function/hormones at this point?
Take Care,
kcscott522
Unread 05-30-2009, 10:03 PM

I have just one ovary left, and it functions well enough that I do not need hrt. About two months after my surgery, I started to have very dry, delicate vaginal tissues. I am not sexually active, so I only used an otc vaginal moisturizer to stay more comfortable. My doctor did give me a prescription for Vagifem to deal with the dryness. If I had been sexually active, I would have considered it, but having endometriosis, I was reluctant even though it is supposed to be a very local form of estrogen.
About four months in, I felt much better emotionally, and by six months, I no longer needed the vaginal moisturizer on a daily basis. I am also able to do without the otc progesterone cream that I was using for other symptoms.
Unread 05-31-2009, 11:51 AM

Hmm... I really don't know why they did not remove any of your lymph nodes, perhaps because of your staging it called for a different treatment protocol? I've only talked with others who have had the same staging as me (1b1) or more advanced cervical cancer, and all had lymph nodes taken. I'm assuming you did have a gyn/oncologist either doing your surgery or present during your surgery and looking things over. I'm sure they looked over your nodes and all must have looked good. I did have one swollen node that was sent out for immediate biopsy during my surgery, thankfully it came back benign, as all the others that were removed (32 in total). My gyn/onc told me that at my stage, considering everything removed and the good path report, I have a 7-10% chance of recurrence. Where it might show up, if, I don't even want to speculate, cancer is some crazy business. I will tell you this, my gyn/onc sees me every 3 months now and will do so for the next few years. I know he will also do another CAT scan from the thorax down at some point. If your doc (gyn/onc) will be following you closely, and you were early stage, and I'm guessing none of your lymph nodes looked suspicious during surgery, then I would try not to worry about it. I would definitely want some kind of scan done as a follow up down the road, tho, just saying, I would personally insist on it for greater peace of mind. And at this point, no, I don't think I'm having any more problems with my ovaries functioning. My anxiety level gets somewhat high at times, but you know well enough, this is a rough road to travel and recover from. Everything else seems to be leveling out at this point. And I'm sure as time goes on and I keep getting good reports from my gyn/onc, then I will feel even better. Hope this helps!
Unread 06-08-2009, 08:02 PM

i kept my ovaries and i noticed pretty much the few months after surgery that i was having vaginal dryness , i.e. no discharge on pantiliner and it became uncomfortable to not only have to sex but to just sit. i was always estrogen dominant before surgery so thought i would not have a problem with that. had elevated blood estradiol, but saliva test done two months later revealed that my free estrogens were a little low, and my progesterone was even lower. also i noticed that i had frequent bouts with bacterial infections and the only time i was "wet" was when i was having the discharge from the infection, which was literally each month. upon doing research, i found that too can be a sign of vaginal atrophy - the vaginal dryness and recurrent bacterial infections. i am on estriol compounding cream and think i might need a little stronger dose. Replens does help, but leaves a whitish wet tissue paper discharge that is annoying. the only time i felt naturally "estrogenized" was two weeks before my cycle was suppose to begin, i was a little more wet for 2 to 3 days, then it went right back to being more on the drier side.

I am only 35, so this has really thrown me a loop and had me down in the dumps like i should not have had the surgery. i'm still a work in progress and searching for answers like everyone else.
Unread 06-28-2009, 09:53 PM
Cool - ovary function & sex life after hysterectomy? Re: ovary function & sex life after hysterectomy?

This month marks 5 years for me I had my vaginal hyst. in June 2004 removing my cervix and uterus. My ovaries are still functioning fine but always aching, sex is still good and not having a period over the past 5 years is wonderful. I sometimes wish my ovaries would die off then maybe Id stop getting cycst's and having pain. I sometimes get night sweats mildly but other than that things are ok for me. I have noticed that I am feeling anxious lately but there is alot of stress in my life I wonder if my hormones are off though.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.