HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

Does anyone know if oral and iv contrast dye can cause stomach pain or cramps Does anyone know if oral and iv contrast dye can cause stomach pain or cramps

Unread 05-31-2009, 10:49 AM
Does anyone know if oral and iv contrast dye can cause stomach pain or cramps

Had ct scan Friday night. Now I am experiencing horrible painful stomach cramps. Stomach is so sensitve hurts to touch on outside or even sit up. I have had 2 watery like bowel movements and the only thing I can think could cause it is maybe the oral contrast drink of iv contrast dye because nothing I have eaten should be causing this. I've been eating real like baked chicken, really bland mashed potatos etc. Just need to know if anyone else has has ct with contrast and had such symptoms. Please any help would help and be very appreciated.
Unread 05-31-2009, 01:41 PM
Re: Does anyone know if oral and iv contrast dye can cause stomach pain or cramps

I had an MRI with contrast and developed pain the next day. I wondered if it was having trouble passing through my kidneys so I called the doctor. They told me it shouldn't cause any GI upset. Interestingly enough, it turned out to be the beginning symptoms of my hemorraging that caused my hysterectomy - totally unrealated, but significant!
Unread 05-31-2009, 03:51 PM
Re: Does anyone know if oral and iv contrast dye can cause stomach pain or cramps

Any sudden abdominal pain you should call your doctor. It could be something that needs attention.

Better safe than sorry!

Hope things get better soon!
Unread 05-31-2009, 03:54 PM

fyi - if it hurts to touch it, you could be bleeding internally.

make SURE someone is near you, if you pass out they HAVE to take you to the emergency room immediately!
Unread 05-31-2009, 04:22 PM

Hello, I had a C.T scan with Oral and I.V contrast dye also. I was 10 days post op. I did not have runny stools but I felt awful. I do not remember it being painful to touch though. I would most definatley get that checked out. Do you mind me asking why you had that done?
Unread 05-31-2009, 04:29 PM

I would suggest you return to the emergency department if you are having severe cramps. Allergic reactions to IV contrast is usually hives, mild nausea, etc. The oral contrast will usually produce whitish and possibly loose bowel movements but should move through within 48 hours. The initial reason for the scan for may have developed into something more serious and since you did have a lap surgery, there could be something that has developed afterwards. Hope you feel better and please don't brush this type of pain off. Your body is telling you something.
Rose
Unread 05-31-2009, 04:35 PM

Well I have been having pain in my pelvic area and back since Friday. I went to ER Friday night and they checked for infection and did not find any so they sent me for ct scan. I have a copy of the report and it says I have a a 1.5 x 2.7-cm hypodense cyst within the left ovary which is asymmetrically larger than the right. Small stranding and several subcentimeter-sized lymph nodes are seen just anterior to the left psoas muscle and trace free fluid is present in the posterior pelvis. This is kind of like greek to me but the recommendation is to see my dr. tomorrow for pelivs ultrasound to ensure it is not related to torsion as small nonspecific stranding is seen in fat just left to psoas muscle. Today my stomach has gotten worse. Feels bloated and pain is worse in back and now in legs also. I am back to taking pain meds every 4 hours to control pain. Thanks so much for all the concern. Husband is with me and won't leave my side. Going to doc first thing in the morning. My urine keeps getting darker it is orange not yellow and I really think I have infection even though tests came back negative.
Unread 05-31-2009, 04:44 PM

When you went to the ED, they may have given you a med called pyridium that actually causes the urine to turn orange. If it's any consolation, I'm a pretty tough cookie never remembering a time that I didn't have some sort of pelvic pain until after my hysterectomy, but a cyst on an ovary that burst was the worse pain I've ever had, including my labor with my 2 children. My GYN described it as "feelling like you've been hit with an 18-wheeler"
Unread 05-31-2009, 04:56 PM

Yes Rose. This has been the most comparable pain to labor I have ever felt. You know when you get to about 5 or 6 centimeters and you are screaming for the epidural. That is how I feel. All I know is the cyst wasn't there during the operation and if it has grown enough in 2.5 weeks to cause me this kind of pain I want it gone. The nurse said I can have the cyst removed and still keep my ovary. She said that would require a biospy to be sure it was harmless other wise they would have to remove the ovary. I dont' want to lose them. I really am considering heading back to er though because I am taking 2 lortab 5mg every 4 hours but by 3 hours pain has returned and is pretty intense. This is just driving me crazy because I was doing very well before this in my recovery and now I am actually hurting worse then immediatly following surgery. I would describe my pain at 6 3 hours after I take pain meds and 8 at 4 hours. I can't sit up straight because pressure is so bad. I am actually standing up to pee because it is less painful. I one of those giant guzzler disposable cups I am using as a urinal for now. Also have tremondous gas that hurts terrible to pass. I just hope for a quick solution tomorrow and a quick remedy. Hopefully without meaning more surgery.
Unread 05-31-2009, 08:24 PM

I'm so sorry! I was in the ER twice for ovarian cysts - 6cm, before my surgeries.

That's one of the worst pains ever. Radiated through my back and up into my shoulders and neck and across both sides of my tummy. Pain meds didnt help me at all, and actually seemed to make it hurt worse.

They did the LAP on me to drain and remove the cysts, but that's when the doctor found endometriosis so bad he did the TAH the next day.

I hope they get you fixed up good and fast! Then you can get back to the business of getting better.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.