HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

How long do you bleed after LAVH?  Worried!! How long do you bleed after LAVH? Worried!!

Unread 06-01-2009, 12:48 PM
How long do you bleed after LAVH? Worried!!

I had a LAV hysterectomy May 18 (2 weeks ago today) and have done really well - pain has been very minimal. My question is how long do you bleed and is it normal to have bright red blood and then not have it and then have it again? I'm just concerned I'm not healing properly and it frightens me. I definitely need to wear a pad and usually have an orange colored blood. Could someone tell me if this is normal or not?

Thank you!
Unread 06-01-2009, 03:23 PM
Re: How long do you bleed after LAVH? Worried!!

I had my LAVH on May 13, it will be three weeks this Wednesday. The bleeding stopped this past Saturday, I was told by my doctor to expect light bleeding for up to four weeks post op.

The vaginal stitches heal slower because of the location and bleeding can be expected. She warned be about feeling better and forgetting to not lift items heavier than a coffee cup, for atleast four weeks. Which I'm finding hard at times. Hope this help
Unread 06-01-2009, 03:27 PM

Was the bleeding ever bright red and then it would lessen and then bright red again? I also had a bladder suspension so maybe that affects it as well.
Unread 06-01-2009, 03:33 PM

Yes It was always bright red and stopped for a half a day and started again. It did this a few times before it ended.
Unread 06-01-2009, 03:41 PM

I wonder how much the added weight of the bladder has on the stitches and may cause additional bleeding. You may want to check with your doctor. Good question to ask.
Unread 06-01-2009, 04:43 PM

You are so right about feeling good and wanting to do things. One other question, do you go up and down stairs? How much are you walking around? I am just not sure how much to do.

I did call my doctor this a.m. and am going in in the morning to be sure things are okay. I just want to make sure. There was blood in the toilet this a.m. and it frankly scared me. Your post did give me comfort and makes me feel like it is probably very normal. Thank you!
Unread 06-01-2009, 05:33 PM

Yes, I've been using the stairs since I came home on a regular basis. I didn't use them much for the first day home, stayed in bed (upstairs), and I've walked around more often since then. I had my stictches removed the following Monday and have walked at my doctors request since that day, even stairs were approved. I didn't need any pain relief meds once I returned home so I even drove myself to the doctor that Monday and lifted a gallon milk carton, out of habit (not recommended) a few times before I was scolded for it. But as long as I don't lift anything or strain the stitches with coughing, sneezing or heavy laughter, then thats all I can do the progress the recovery.

I've found so much comfort with this site, it's made all the difference to me. I hope you find everything is going as planned by your doctor
Unread 06-01-2009, 09:50 PM

I'd thought I'd never stopped bleeding/spotting! Once the stitches started dissolving at around 5 weeks, it got a little worse...then POOF stopped. I am sooo happy to be out of pads/pantiliners
Unread 06-01-2009, 10:29 PM

I had bright red blood that alternated with pink or orange for 4 weeks. I did notice that it would increase when I went up and down my stairs or increased my activity. My doctor said that it was normal and was ok as long as I wasn't soaking a large pad in an hour or less. One day (right at 4 weeks) it was just gone and hasn't come back. I am thrilled to finally be done with pads myself. :-)

Take care!
Unread 06-02-2009, 09:23 AM

Thank you so much - I was so worried I had torn something. I actually went to the doctor this a.m. and he checked me out to be sure. Everything was fine - your notes make me feel even better. I think the nurses and doctors should tell us a little bit more about the bleeding so we know it's normal. I felt the same way when I had my first baby. I wasn't prepared for the amount of blood afteward and was sure I was bleeding to death.

Thanks sisters for your support!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.

Summer Fun Giveaway