HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

4 Days Post-Op and Diarrhea!!!!!! 4 Days Post-Op and Diarrhea!!!!!!

Unread 09-02-2001, 04:17 PM
4 Days Post-Op and Diarrhea!!!!!!

I'm 4 days post-op and have had lots of stomach problems. My body just doesn't know what to do with food yet. My Dr. said to to take a stool softener for 1 week to keep things moving, but I don't need that.I had my first solid food tonight. I am paying for that! I have had Lots of and I have been and and .So, my pain has been almost 0, until today . I have had diarrhea about 20 times, this is the worst pain I have felt so far. I had a real problem with the gas pain , so I have been eating cereal, soup, gelatin, pudding, etc. I have drank lots of water, juice, warm tea, etc. Tonight I just ate rice, baked chicken and bread , I thought this might help with putting something solid in my stomach. WRONG!!!I am really living in the bathroom. ANY SUGGESTIONS?? I have even thought of calling the Dr., the pain from this is awful.

Thanks,
Laura
Unread 09-02-2001, 04:31 PM

Laura,

I am so sorry you are feeling so bad.

Are you by any chance on any antibiotics? I was for a while a week or so after surgery and that gave me a very upset tummy.

PLEASE call the doctor if you are in so much pain. I don't imagine being in the bathroom all the time is helping you rest and recover as you need to so hopefully he can tell you whats going on and do something to help.

Sending good thoughts and hoping you feel better VERY soon.
love
Steph
Unread 09-02-2001, 05:08 PM

I had a lot of the same problems after surgery, your body is most likely still reacting to the anesthesia which is still in your system. Try bland foods and nibble, don't sit down to a meal. Your doctor can give you something to help if it doesn't start to improve soon. I found that nibbling crackers with some soup helped me.
Unread 09-02-2001, 09:41 PM

Be careful or you could get dehydrated!

To firm up your stool, I have always tried the BRAT diet. Banana, Rice, Apple (sauce or grated fresh) and Toast.

If it does not subside soon, definitely call your doctor. Your body has been through alot and dehydration would not be helpful. You could have picked up a stomach virus.

I would rather be safe and call the doctor.
Unread 09-02-2001, 09:44 PM
stomach flu maybe?

Just a thought - could it maybe be that it has nothing to do with your recovery and is just the plain ole' stomach flu? I think I had a touch of it myself last weekend -

deb

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.